Closed

Why would anyone need a personal server?

I keep reading about people using their old computers as servers. What do people need personal servers for? I have an old Pentium 4 3.0Ghz computer that I don't know what to do with. Could I make this a server? And, more importantly, do I want to?
15 answers Last reply
More about personal server
  1. No one wants to answer? If this is in the wrong category, please let me know where to post it.
  2. Well, currently i have 6 computers running at home...

Gaming machine - play games on and generally net surfing

Fileserver - running on Server 2003 64bit contains my RAID controller for all my storage (3.18TB, ISOs, music, tv, movies etc.), also serves as a torrent downloader, WSUS box

Domain Controller - Running on Server 2003 32bit, runs DNS, DHCP, Exchange and DC.

SCCM box - Running Server 2008 32bit, running my SCCM environment (System Centre Configuration Manager) and will soon be used for VM's

The other 2 are simple HTPC's one for lougne and other for bedroom.

I know this is a fair bit and most will never use that kind of thing. I use this environment at the moment to train/self learn to hopefully pass some Microsoft certifications to get a better job (more money). If i wasnt doing that i would probably get away with 3 machines and just have a HTPC, Gaming and the fileserver. If you dont have to store alot of files and your not interested in learning environments its probably not worth having a server at all for personal use.

EDIT: Unless you have a dedicated task to do in everyday life your more than likely wont need anything.
  3. I have a media server. I stream videos to my HTPC in my living room, and music to my spare room when I work out. I don't have a PC in my bedroom, but if those media extenders get cheaper, or if i upgrade my system, I might make a mini HTPC and stream video and music to my bedroom.
  4. I have a filesever at home that can download all the things I can't get here at the University. That way, I can use an encrypted VPN to send files here, and they don't know what the files are. That server also allows me (and my family) to share files.

I also have two other machines that are webservers and web backup machines.
  5. Personal servers are awesome. I use mine for file storage and vent, it's hooked up to my HD TV so I use it for netflix and a DVR as well. I'm always screwing with my main machine. (reformats, various raid and virtual machine setups and hardware upgrades.) it's nice to have the 1 PC in the house I can count on to work.
  6. I keep my server in my home office closet. I use it for FTP, hosting games when I play with friends, I have ventrilo and TeamSpeak on it just for the heck of it. I also use it as a print server, and most importantly to back up my NAS that I have in raid-1. Since I'm a digital pack rat I figured why not back up the back up.
  7. chookman said:
    Well, currently i have 6 computers running at home...

lol must be one hell of a monthly elec. bill ;)
  8. There are many types of server and all have their uses. From a webserver (not so useful these days with the capabilities of the better routers) to a full on domain server (imagine having all your PCs route your user files, settings, internet history etc. to one centralised point) to a media server (for videos and music to be available to all machines, streaming to non-PC devices [XBox360 etc.]) or even just a backup server to keep backups of other machines on.

To decide if you want/need a server, we'd need to know how many PCs etc. you have, and what they're all used for.
  9. I run a Debian linux box as my home server:

1. LAMP (linux, apache2, mysql, php) web development server to speed my web design work. Also hosts my personal domains that are low traffic.

2. Media storage - all my films on there safely for streaming to my PC, the kids rooms etc. Ditto for the mp3s. For the kids its great - saves clutter and scratched DVDs :)

3. Connectivity - secure SSH tunnels for VNC, shell sessions and FTP so I can get at my work away from home.

4. Print server

5. Bittorrent client w/remote web access so I can add new files & check progress from out of the house

6. Mail server (w/anti spam & anti-virus)

7. Counterstrike: Source server
  10. Ah! There's a couple of major uses I didn't think of!

Print server and game server.

Good shout.
  11. 8. Virtual server test mule - I've been experimenting with VMWare for work and have a couple of Windows Server 2003 r2 virtual machines running on it.

9. Back in the day when I was an Everquest addict, it took the data from my traders log, parsed it and posted it into MySQL so I could see real-time sales stats over the web - how sad is that! ;)

Knew I'd forgotten something :D

I've run a server at home since 2001 (Redhat 7.1 I think - maybe 6.something, been a while!) - I couldn't work without one now and has greatly speeded up my learning of php, javascript, MySQL, bash scripting etc.

I always wonder why everyone has such massive hard drives on their desktops - I'm quite happy with 250gb or less - then I realise without my server I'd need a multi-tb setup on each of the PCs in the house... :)

It's an AMD dual core (low power 2.3ghz cores I think from memory) with 4GB ram and a multi-TB RAID 5 array for storage + RAID 0 small array for the O/S running Debian 64bit. Everything I've listed here runs extremely well, the only time it is really tested is if I fill the CS:S server with 30 bots. When CS:S goes multi-core for bot AI I might upgrade to a phenom, but for now I don't need any better.
  12. Well to store stuff, videos, music, etc.
    It benefits your computer since your hard drive won't be cluttered up.
  13. Thanks for the replies.

I do download stuff. But I'm not short on space or have an HDTV. If I wanted to have a server to download torrents and connect multiple computers to one printer, what would I need? I have a friend that works at Microsoft that can get me Server 2003 cheap. I also have a Pentium 3 with 384mb, and a Pentium 4 3Ghz with 1gb. Would either of these work or should I just scrap to whole idea?
  14. To download torrents - utorrent is fast and very lean, supposedly runs on 486 and up.

For printer sharing, a P3 is certainly enough.

For your server Operating System, the P3/384M can really bog you down. It's sufficient to run Windows 2000 SP4, but depending on how old that computer is, you may have a headache with hard drive size limits and interface, even under NTFS.

The only reason I'm staying away from the P4 @ 3 GHz is it's a power hog, especially for a 24/7 system. Otherwise it's more than capable of Server 2003 and you'd only need to pay attention to hard disk interfaces.
  15. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computers Servers