Newly Built Computer - SATA Hard Drive not showing up

tmvu

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Hi guys,

I put together this computer several days ago only re-using a powersupply from my previous computer (Hiper TypeR 580W Modular).

Parts are: ASRock P55 Extreme, Intel i5-750 2.6 ghz, MSI 9800GT 1 gb, WD 640 gb 7200rpm, g.skill dual channel 2x2gb ram, LG blu-ray optical drive.

It worked fine for a couple days, installed a copy of windows 7 on it, and then yesterday, i figured the power supply died because the computer would stay on until I started trying to run Mass Effect.

Today, replaced the PSU with a Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply compatible with Intel Core i7 and Core i5, and computer would power on, but the SATA Hard Drive would not be detected, saying that I needed to reboot and "select proper Boot Device." I am sure I connected the SATA power and data cables correctly, since I interchange the cable with my blu-ray player and BIOS detects the blu ray player in each of the 6 SATA slots on the motherboard. I am hoping I did not fry the hard drive somehow today when I replaced the power supply, but in the case that that happens, on an unrelated note, I'm wondering what I should do about installing Windows 7 on a new hard drive, since I used my one authorization key already.

Anyways, hopefully there's something I'm missing with this hard drive. Any help would be much appreciated.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I'd suggest clearing the CMOS and then rebooting again. Also check in the BIOS to see which device is selected to boot first (Win 7 may have monkeyed with something).

If that doesn't work go to the ASROCK site and get the correct procedure for a complete CMOS clearance (battery removal / power down sequence) for this board. I would also check with ASROCK to make sure that your BIOS is up to date for anything to do with Win 7, too.

You may have to go back on your OS to troubleshoot this or partition and dual boot to the older OS. If you do go back you might find one of the Win 7 compatibility tools (if you can get it to run at all) and run this before reinstalling Win 7. There might be a problem with your pc that this will find that you can fix before reinstalling win 7.