HOT or NOT XFX GT8600

gavshouse

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
hi ive just bought a new GPU ok its not top of the range but its ok for me

its passive cooled now im wondering if its running hot, i have 3 system fans and mesh case to i would think a good air flow system. its a XFX GeForce 8600GT Fatal1ty (o/c version), it runs at 620mhz core and memory 800mhz.

when playing games it gets upto about 100-110c now i would think they tested it and thats ok but i want to make sure i underclock it when not playing games not sure if that will help, so i cant believe they would make it and it would run @ 110c and not be safe

Thanks In Advance ( PS i did search for other threads)

gavshouse

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
well why is it running this hot ? ive got 3 system fans it must be safe they wouldnt make a card that gets too hot

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

They're too far away to matter. Even a relatively low powered 8600gt accumulates too much heat without a fan. Fanless is a bad idea for all gpus with any muscle at all.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

I'm sure somewhere in their website or literature there will be something to the effect that sufficient circulation be present in your computer case. Just like mobos that have water cooled CPU's still need that circulation or the chipset gets overheated and causes crashes.

Your video card may be fine for awhile but if you want to play it safe put one of those fans over the vid and your temps will nose dive. Consider I have two OCed 8800GTX's and they rarely hit 70C under full load and idle at 58C.

It's getting hot because it's a passive heatsink.

110C is likely not going to kill most GPUs under the right condition, alot of the old X800XL passive and GF7600/1600 passive cards ran that hot all the time too. The only reason I would be concerned (other than just ejecting the heat out of the system) is that the GF86xx series is a little bit questionable due to the bonding material issue. The nice thing about the passive heatsink is that it would be a more gradual cool down, but conversely likely a quicker heat-up.

I would suggest as others have mentioned, affixing a 120mm fan directly to the heatsink or blowing right on top of it.

Or else snugging a PCI exhaust fan right against it.

You would really need to blow directly on it or be attached to it, and even then it's likely still not as effective/efficient as even a small all copper HSF assembly.