What part fried in my system

jp1981

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Hi guys,

Last night when i booted up my pc everything was fine. I checked my mails, started playin a bit stalker and suddenly my screen just went black.

No blue screen, no error message, just black. Switched the system off, tried to boot up again but no chance. Pc just beeps.

I googled the beeping code, and it said its my video card. So this morning I ran to my neighbour to borrow his card. It did the same beeps.

Unfortunate I did not have enough time this mornin to swap any other parts, except the card and the ram as I had to rush to the airport for a Business trip.

My question is, can the power supply suddenly decide to be weaker? I think my powers supply does not support the card(s) with enough power.

I have unplugged everything. Took out the cpu, changed the ram around, reseted the board. Nothing helped.

The funny thing was 2 nights ago ati catalyst control center gave me an error message saying, gpu does not have enough power and that clocks will be lowered. It was something like that.

I would appreciate any help for next steps. I'm only home by sunday again, so I can't do any testing at the moment. But maybe one could tell me if its the power supply and not the gpu.

Specs are.
Amd Quad 9950
2gb ocz ram 2x1gb
Msi k9a2 platinum
Sapphire 3870x2
Cooler master 560w psu
3x 320gb sata2
1x 160gb ide
Dvd writer

Thanks guys :)

The funny thing was 2 nights ago ati catalyst control center gave me an error message saying, gpu does not have enough power and that clocks will be lowered. It was something like that.

Cooler master 560w psu

Yes, from the sound of it, your PSU is shot.
Not to surprising, most Cooler Master PSU's are of very low quality.
What you need is a QUALITY 550w+ PSU from Corsair, PCP&C, Enermax, Seasonic or the Antec Earthwatts line.
The PSU is one component that you should NEVER skimp out on.
With any luck, all your other components are still functioning and, with a new PSU, your system will come back to life.

jp1981

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Thanks for the quick answer.

If the psu mail functions, isn't it suppose to stay off? I mean it switches on, and all fans in my system start up 2, incl the gpu fan.

thanks.

Your PSU has more than 1 power supply rail. It could be failing on only 1 of the rails giving you power to some parts of the system, and no or not enough power to other parts.
I agree with others here, get a new quality PSU.