having trouble with my 5.1 sound system

hi, i have looked for a solution over the internet, and it has begun to feel like i have tried everything to get this working right.

i am using the on board sound cart on my Biostar TP45 motherboard, with a Realtek audio driver. i am trying to connect it to my Sony HD-DDW700 sound system that contains a STR-K700 receiver.

i am trying to get as much sound as i can for as little cost as possible, so what i did is simply connect my computer from the headphone jack to the line in on the receiver hoping that it would just give a a decent sound over all speakers, but what has happened is i only get audio coming from the right and left speakers.
8 answers Last reply
More about having trouble sound system
  1. Did you enable 5.1 in the Windows speaker setup?
  2. when you say "from the headphone jack" you mean only one mini Jack (computer) to two RCA (Receiver).
    If thats the case, you need to know that every jack is able to send two channels of audio. In order to get 5.1 you need 3 jacks connected to the motherboards back panel.
    P.D.: 1 jack = 2 channels
    1 RCA = 1 channel
  3. what i mean by headphone jack, is that when ever i plug a device into any of the audio ports in the back of my computer, it will pop up with a selection box to designate what type of connection it is. it is on headphone right now, i have tried other set ups. i guess what i am trying to look for in that selection box is something that says just simple "line out" because it is ether "front speakers", "center/sub", or "rear speakers" i have tried all of them and the only speakers i can get to work on it is my right and left. when i designate to a different port like "sub/center" when it tests the sub and center speaker the sound still comes out of the right and left.

but if that is the case how would i go about fixing it?
  4. One of the disavantages with your Biostar board is that it only has analog out-puts, no digital outputs at all. This means if you want surround sound, you must use all the connectors from the Audio-out panel and connect them to a receiver with the correct corresponding separate surround sound inputs. If your receiver doesn't have this, I am afraid you are out of luck with what you are trying to do.
  5. You have to use the outputs for the front, outputs for the center and sub, and outputs for the rear speakers. If you use only one Line Out jack from the computer and put it in the stereo, you'll get 2-channel sound. Some recievers will allow you to put stereo sound through all 6 speakers (rear speakers and center will put out the left/right sounds like the front do, but it won't be true 5.1). Unless you're using the headphone jacks with the coaxial connectors on the other end to get it to work with a reciever correctly, it won't work right. Also, Windows needs to be set up for 5.1 sound too. Some audio drivers work separately from Windows, and some work with it. Mine work with it, so where I set 5.1 in the driver, it also changes the Windows setting. But it can be disabled. There are multiple places where the speaker settings need to be just right or it won't sound well.
  6. Sommoner0042 said:
    what i mean by headphone jack, is that when ever i plug a device into any of the audio ports in the back of my computer, it will pop up with a selection box to designate what type of connection it is. it is on headphone right now, i have tried other set ups. i guess what i am trying to look for in that selection box is something that says just simple "line out" because it is ether "front speakers", "center/sub", or "rear speakers" i have tried all of them and the only speakers i can get to work on it is my right and left. when i designate to a different port like "sub/center" when it tests the sub and center speaker the sound still comes out of the right and left.

but if that is the case how would i go about fixing it?

Step 1: On realtek audio software select 5.1 audio configuration
    Step 2) Connect 3 jacks to MOBO (6 RCA to Receiver)
    1 Front right and left
    1 surround back right and left
    1 Center and Sub woofer

Remember that you have to be playing 5.1 audio in order to listen to 5.1 audio, I.E. if you are listening to an mp3 song, you will most likely be listening to stereo audio, therefore you will only get sound from front left and right speaker, and usually the sub too. Your realtek software should have an option to deliver test tones to each speaker (if connected and configured).
  7. thanks for the input guys, i have a couple of ideas i am going to try and see if i can get it to work.
  8. OK Sommoner, if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask
Ask a new question

Read More

Components