Sign in with
Your question

OC an i7-920 2.66ghz to 3.2ghz?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 30, 2009 1:11:11 AM

Hi, sorry for sounding so noob'ish but I would like to overclock my i7-920 to 3.2ghz. I just want to run it at that speed nice and stable without changing my voltage. Can someone please just simply outline what i need to do. Is it as simple as just adjusting the block frequency to 160 in the bios and restarting the computer? Any pointers are appreciated. Thanks.

My specs are:

i7 920 2.66
6GB CORSAIR 1600MHz
ASUS P6T DELUXE V2
600w PSU
COOLIT DOMINO A.L.C. CPU LIQUID COOLER

More about : 920 66ghz 2ghz

a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2009 1:25:33 AM

conbutts,

All you need to do is simply l00k ^UP^ at the top of this Forum, and read the Stickies ... particularly the Core i7 Overclocking Guide.

overshocked went to a great deal of effort to write it, so that we wouldn't have to volunteer our precious time to write repetitive answers to repetitive questions.

Please read the Stickies and use SEARCH before posting.

Respectfully,

Comp :sol: 
October 30, 2009 1:34:18 AM

CompuTronix said:
conbutts,

All you need to do is simply l00k ^UP^ at the top of this Forum, and read the Stickies ... particularly the Core i7 Overclocking Guide.

overshocked went to a great deal of effort to write it, so that we wouldn't have to volunteer our precious time to write repetitive answers to repetitive questions.

Respectfully,

With respect,

You could have answered my question in less of your 'precious time' than it took you to reply in the way you did. I have read the stickies, I am a noob and have a simple question...

Is it as simple as just adjusting the block frequency to 160 in the bios and restarting the computer?
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2009 7:24:54 AM

No, it's not always quite that straight forward. Stability testing is required, so if you did your homework, then you should know how to test your rig to make sure it's stable. :sol: 
October 30, 2009 9:07:09 AM

CompuTronix said:
No, it's not always quite that straight forward. Stability testing is required, so if you did your homework, then you should know how to test your rig to make sure it's stable. :sol: 

You're not going to spoon feed him, are you, Comp?
October 30, 2009 1:51:50 PM

who would spoon feed a lazy ass?
October 30, 2009 2:31:47 PM

CompuTronix said:

I asked the same question on another forum and someone who knows what hes talking about answered my question without a problem.

Thanks anyway, pal
October 30, 2009 2:32:10 PM

one-shot said:
You're not going to spoon feed him, are you, Comp?

Are you his lover?
October 30, 2009 2:33:33 PM

htoonthura said:
who would spoon feed a lazy ass?

Im not lazy. Im just a noob.
October 30, 2009 5:58:12 PM

hey how do you like the domino cooler i was thinking about getting one. can you post your temps ?
October 30, 2009 8:33:08 PM

Dont pay any attention to these dumb shits! if they dont want to answer your question why are they here answering posts with bullshit comments.? BECAUSE they are loosers and are in need of a self confidence boost and what better way to make yourself feel better than someone than insulting them without the fear of getting your face smashed to crap! INTERNET TUFF GUYS ! welcome to the internet the only place in the world where sad fat loosers sitting in a chair drinking yop think they are big shots. because they read a post six months before you and think they invented the f'ing internet itself. GET A GRIP DONT POST INSULTS POST ANSWERS OR SHUT UP! OH IS THIS YOUR WEBSITE ARE YOU TOM HIMSELF OR ARE YOU A SAD FOOL WHO WILL EVENTUALLY GET HIS FACE FIXED FOR FREE WHEN YOU TRY TO TALK TO A REAL HUMAN FACE TO FACE THIS WAY? LOOSERS ! IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS HIT ME UP I SEE WHAT I CAN DO! F THESE GUYS THEY ARE JUST WAITING FOR THE GENDER CHANGE OPERATIONS THEY HAVE BEEN SAVING UP FOR, SO THEY DONT THINK WITH THEY HEADS THEY THINK WITH THERE VAGINA's.
October 31, 2009 8:28:45 AM

These people aren't trying to be mean, it's just that a lot of us learn't about over clocking without asking someone to spend ages simplifying every step. And in all honesty if you read the stickies here and googled overclocking guides for your CPU you should have come away with a lot more knowledge than to just increase the FSB. When people come here with much more specific questions then we are happy to help, but you can't expect someone to take ages explaining quite a complex subject-this is what the guides are for.

Tips for freeraven:

1: typing in capitals instantly removes the credibility from your argument.

2: "THEY DONT THINK WITH THEIR HEADS THEY THINK WITH THEIR VAGINA's"
"sad fat loosers sitting in a chair drinking yop think they are big shots."

From the attitude of your post this is making an excellent description of you :)  (you can thank me later for correcting your grammar)

Just my 2 cents, in an attempt to not get drawn into a flame war I'm not going to post in this thread again. If you want to PM me some abuse I would be happy to read it at my leisure.
October 31, 2009 2:39:55 PM

OH THANKS VIRUS !@ exactly what we needed ! Thank you for displaying my point,you come in here tll me i should be gratefull that your correcting my rammar ! your a doosh ! shuv it , my god ! Its always " thats a supid question" or why do noobs ask this " It was a simple question that required a simple answer! eg: No its not that easy there are many factors that go into an overclock starting with what equipment your using and included many factors that may or may not be under your control! why dont you start by reading the overclock manuals at the top of the page. and then come back with what your hardware specs are so that we can help you get on your way to being a proud owner of a newly overclocked pc! Instead he gets " hey dumbass we are not interested in helping stupid noobs that only want to be spoonfed and we are smarter than you because we can overclock a pc and you cant" WHATEVER guys ! OVERCLOCKING IS EASY ! and if you think your some genius because you can do it, your a moron! Do you know how to build a ram jet engine ? oh no YOU MUST BE A MORON! do you know how to make a filet mingion in a dark chocolate sauce ? no OH YOU
UST BE THGE BIGGEST DOOSH ON THE PLANET! WHATEVER IF YOU DONT WANT TO HELP WHY ARE YOU HERE? go make your own website called WEARESADANDLONLEY.COM
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2009 5:15:33 PM

virus015,

Thank you for your insights, and for bringing perspective to this thread. I do think, however, that conbutts and FREERAVEN have raised some valid points, on which I'd like to comment.

conbutts,

Please accept my sincere apologies. It's clear that my response to your post offended you, and for that, I'm sorry. It's important that I hold myself accountable for my actions, and be a stand-up guy by taking ownership when I've been wrong. As such, I need to reconsider my approach. I have no desire to discourage you from participating in Tom's Forums.

My mission here at Tom's for 3+ years, has been to help members solve temperature problems. Since this overlaps with overclocking, I also respond to many overclocking threads. Regardless, I've become callous when responding to threads started by newcomers with a low post count, such as yourself, especially when the question has already been answered in a Sticky.

Many long time members such as myself, have grown weary of answering the same old questions, however, this doesn't excuse me from observing common courtesy. Conversely, we see far too many endless questions from "users" who are obviously too lazy to read or make an effort to perform their own research, and are only interested in "using" us for quick and easy answers, which often requires lengthy and time-consuming explanations.

The difficulty is in determining who is a "user" and who just needs to be pointed in the right direction, so it's easy to draw the wrong conclusion based upon how the first post is worded. In your case, I focused on the following:

conbutts said:
... Can someone please just simply outline what i need to do...
Sorry, but I know this has already been "outlined" in Sticky, however, allow me to once again apologize for my response, which was terse and premature, and for "profiling" your post. In the future, I'll be more considerate in the way my first post is worded, and I'll be pleased to help you.

FREERAVEN,

Thank you for the wake-up call, although it's clear by now, that your argument is somewhat overstated. As a new member with 36 posts, your objective should be to contribute to Tom's by helping others, which also establishes your credibility within the community. For everyone's benefit, I'd like to present another example of your contributions:

HELP QUICK ! - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/254928-29-help-quick

FREERAVEN said:
Ok I CANT FIND THE CLOCK ! i have torn apart the video card and its not in there. i cracked the chip open and not in there, I am really upset i want to make my pc faster but this clock is hidden so well . ANd whats a mobo can you please speak english my cpu multiplier is only set to 10 and my bclk at a measly 100 . Thanks And hurry up already how do i overclock my stuff.

As your "Personal Quote" says, U CANT FIX STUPID!, but let's give it a try anyway! :D 

More "Tips for FREERAVEN":

(1) Your "HELP QUICK !" thread is a waste of bandwidth, so try to me more productive, especially with other members' time.

(2) I've reviewed all your posts; although your grammar is decent when you try, you might want to work on learning how to form praragraphs.

(3) You might want to be more reserved when commenting on other threads concerning your smoking substance and daily consumption.

(4) Outbursts of hate and "face-smashing" violence are frowned upon by the Moderators here at Tom's, so try to be more civil.

(5) Stand-up guys are always big enough to apologize for their behavior, so here's a perfect opportunity to avoid being banned in the future.

Hope this helps, and good luck! ;) 

October 31, 2009 6:29:00 PM

Apology accepted, comp. Nice post.
October 31, 2009 6:35:21 PM

Comp,
I for one appreciate your willingness to acknowledge your shortcomings. None of us is perfect - but if each of us can correct our offenses as quickly as you did, it will be a better world.
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2009 6:35:58 PM

conbutts,

Thank you for understanding, and for accepting my apology. If you have any questions, I'll be at your service!

Sincerely,

a b å Intel
a c 146 K Overclocking
October 31, 2009 6:36:20 PM

conbutts said:
I would like to overclock my i7-920 to 3.2ghz. I just want to run it at that speed nice and stable without changing my voltage.

My specs are:

i7 920 2.66
6GB CORSAIR 1600MHz
ASUS P6T DELUXE V2
600w PSU
COOLIT DOMINO A.L.C. CPU LIQUID COOLER

I think you will find this guide more useful than the one here ....it concludes with settings specific to your MoBo and you can print it out.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2008122019104023...
October 31, 2009 7:04:54 PM

:hello:  :hello:  OK as long as we are having an emotional kissy kissy party! Who wants the first kiss?
Although i do reserve the right to not use proper paragraphs, as i do not see this as a valid medium thats requires proper grammer eg: lol / lmao / imop/ roflmao / ect ect. and i dont remember reading that it was a crime or even against toms rules to disclose that i may or may not have injested legal or presently illegal substances. face smashing yes is unfortunate but a sad reality when one lives in the REAL world and i was simply trying to display the fact that its easy to be rude in a consiquence free enviroment however it does not mean that you should be! ..... wait for it"
(new paragraph) wow !
As for my thread about the missing clock , you would be glad to know that i have now found the clock and have left it in a safe space so that future posts such as that will be avoided. I do admit it was a moment of weekness for me but my emotions ran high when faced with the plight of a missing clock! So i apologize for that!

COMP i never actually intended to point out your post! it was actually not that bad, it was the spoonfeed comments and total highjacking of the thread that irritated me. and an overall comment on "some" of the people that post here! overall i have found that many people are genuine and ready to help such as yourself and jack here has helped me a few times.

Sooooo WHATEVER i am not one to beat around the bush and often take extreme points of view so if i hurt anyones little feeling then i too apologize. But ultimatley if free speech that does not break the forum rules is forbidden! Then i have no real lefe threatening need for toms Website just killing time at work and would be glad to take my daily site hits and my advertisment reading eyes to another site that is not full of CRYBABYès that jsut want to be mean to people! :cry: 
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2009 8:11:48 PM

FREERAVEN,

We all get carried away from time to time, make mistakes, and misinterpret one another. What's most important is what we do about it, so I appreciate you coming forth in this manner.

a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2009 8:41:29 PM

conbutts,

Concerning your original question, although simply changing your BCLK to 160 will most likely work, it's still important to test for stability whenever settings have been changed in BIOS. Also, keep in mind that auto Vcore typically applies much more voltage than is necessary, which in turn increases power consumption and heat. This is why all the Overclocking Guides discourage enthusiast from using auto settings. Please refer to the following examples.

i7 920 @ stock 2.67 Ghz, auto BIOS:

Idle @ 22c Ambient = 24c CPU / 29c Cores / 1.056 Vcore / 166 Watts
Load @ 22c Ambient = 46c CPU / 51c Cores / 1.208 Vcore / 276 Watts,

i7 920 @ 3.0 Ghz, manual BIOS:

Idle @ 22c Ambient = 24c CPU / 29c Cores / 1.01875 Vcore / 170 Watts
Load @ 22c Ambient = 35c CPU / 40c Cores / 1.000 Vcore / 229 Watts

As you can see, by using manual settings we've increased frequency from stock 2.67 Ghz to 3.0 Ghz, decreased load temperatures by 11c, decreased load Vcore by 208 millivolts, and decreased load power by 47 Watts.

Load measurements were taken at the PSU cord with a Wattmeter while running Prime95 Samll FFT's.

October 31, 2009 9:10:30 PM

CompuTronix said:
conbutts,

Concerning your original question, although simply changing your BCLK to 160 will most likely work, it's still important to test for stability whenever settings have been changed in BIOS. Also, keep in mind that auto Vcore typically applies much more voltage than is necessary, which in turn increases power consumption and heat. This is why all the Overclocking Guides discourage enthusiast from using auto settings. Please refer to the following examples.

As you can see, by using manual settings we've increased frequency from stock 2.67 Ghz to 3.0 Ghz, decreased load temperatures by 11c, decreased load Vcore by 208 millivolts, and decreased load power by 47 Watts.

Load measurements were taken at the PSU cord with a Wattmeter while running Prime95 Samll FFT's.

Thats interesting. Will use manual settings. Thanks for the heads up!!

October 31, 2009 9:12:54 PM

CompuTronix said:
conbutts,

Thats interesting. Will use manual settings. Thanks for the heads up!!
October 31, 2009 9:22:14 PM

i farted !
November 1, 2009 1:22:41 PM

Whats your point? I farted ! are you that bored? really ...............that lonely that your seeking out previous threads.. that i farted in? WOW man im done with your silly ass! Have a good sad existence man. BYE BYE.. you wana talk about waste of bandwidth????????????? this thread, END IT !
a b K Overclocking
November 1, 2009 7:10:54 PM

FREERAVEN said:
Whats your point?
Your comments are rude and inappropriate. :pfff:  It shouldn't take long for you to get yourself banned. :lol: 
November 1, 2009 9:03:27 PM

your sad and lonely arent you? God your a looser! :pfff: 

November 1, 2009 11:58:43 PM

CompuTronix said:
conbutts,

Respectfully,

I gotta say, that's one heck of a slick guide. Favorited!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253365-29-core-overcl...

a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2009 12:15:42 AM

DokkRokken said:
I gotta say, that's one heck of a slick guide. Favorited!
Thanks DokkRokken! :D 

FREERAVEN said:
your sad and lonely arent you? God your a looser! :pfff: 
FREERAVEN,

I doubt that anyone would agree with you. My contributions here at Tom's speak for themselves.

As I said previously, I've reviewed all your posts since you became a member on 9/29. You tend to have difficulty working a negative situation through to a positive conclusion. You instead become a flamethrower, lashing out at others, which is becoming blatantly obvious to everyone.

Your comments are rude and inappropriate. :pfff: It shouldn't take long for you to get yourself banned. :lol: said:
Your comments are rude and inappropriate. :pfff:  It shouldn't take long for you to get yourself banned. :lol: 
You could've instead responded with something like "I get your point. Bodily functions don't belong here. Sorry, forum members, I'll delete those posts." which would've been the right thing to do.

There's still an opportunity here for you to fix this, and I'm willing to work with you to make it happen. It's up to you ... there's two different paths you can take ... what would you like to do?

November 2, 2009 1:58:17 AM

SAVE IT ! I could care less about your temp guides or anything else you have to say! You obviously are just upset i called you out on your looser existence and are desperatley in need of maintaining your little internet world that allows you to feel like your somehow important! YOUR NOT! your a sad fool who has to get the last word, and you talk like you want to make a resolution... You don't! you want more conflict so that you can pretend that i dont belong here and you do ! with me gone you could go back to pretending that your a big shot to all these people you pretend are less than you. With your fake passive aggressive nicely formed paragraphs attempting to convey power.. Your just a clown on the internet and if we were face to face you would not dare speak to me this way! YOU have one path to take, keep my name out of your dam posts with your attempt at insulting me with always typing my name wrong. thats soooo weak man! your true character has been revealed, and its a sad site Cimpotrinox! I DONT CARE ABOUT YOU, OR TOMS WEBSITE ! IF THE MOD'S DONT WANT ME THEN THEY WILL BAN ME ! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHAT WILL I DO THEN? MY LIFE WILL GO ON WITHOUT THIS SITE . Cant say the same for you and your life without it, can we!
So go on respond again with your self absorbed opinions , I already told you! i think your a total sad case and a loser. so why would i care about your sad posts and opinions? I DONT . Go back to drinking your YOP and telling all your mod freinds that im the big bad wolf ! And you have not had any hand in this useless thread! your just an innocent victim of my fart joke.... WOW that would be a good one TOMS HARDWARE BANNED ME FOR SAYING "i farted" YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU CAN GO DO SAD BOY !! ME AND YOU MIGHT JUST MEET SOONER THAN YOU THINK!
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2009 2:18:03 AM

That was just as predictable as it was childish! :lol:  You're going to need better professional help. :pt1cable:  Your medication definately isn't working. :( 

FREERAVEN said:
ME AND YOU MIGHT JUST MEET SOONER THAN YOU THINK!
Is that a threat?
November 2, 2009 2:07:26 PM

CompuTronix said:
Is that a threat?

You will NOT win with these kinds of people, either ignore him or push to get him banned. If I were you I wouldn't waste your time on this.
November 2, 2009 2:14:32 PM

FREERAVEN said:
TOMS HARDWARE BANNED ME FOR SAYING "i farted"

Not really, it would be more along the lines of Tom's hardware banned me for being a prick. You know what you are doing, you started the hurling of vulgar insults, and if you are as mature as you say you are you will stop now. If not, well I do find reading your childish attempts at humiliating others quite funny, and my friends do appreciate being e-mailed your posts.
February 25, 2010 4:43:53 AM

Hey,
Sorry I am late to the party ...
This is my first post ... anywhere ... ever. Although I come here (and elsewhere) frequently and find the earnest information post extremely valuable. You know who you are ... keep it up!!
The reason I have popped my 'posting cherry' is to say ... you guys are cracking me up! This is supposed to be a community where like-minded people come together to ask, share and help. Not embarass themselves with juvenile or thugish insults and ... <are you KIDDING me> ... fart jokes !?! Really ?!? How old ARE you?
Let's please try to keep the IQ above single fingures. This HAS been entertaining. But I think most all of us seek our entertainement elsewhere and come here for knowledge and help.
That's my 2 cents.
Thanks
!