Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing Win XP Pro

Last response: in Storage
January 20, 2010 3:12:58 AM

Just finished building my first PC, P755D-1156 with I7-680 proc and Seagate barracuda 7200.12 Sata 500mb drive.

everything looks fine, then I started loading Win XP pro and after 2 minutes of reading I get a message that an error has occured and looks like there is not enough storage.

My bios detects my HD, but I have a feeling that Win xp pro does not recognise my SATa drive. Can some one tell me what can I do to install Win xp. tia

More about : installing win pro

a b G Storage
January 20, 2010 4:44:13 AM

Hit F6 and install your SATA drivers for your motherboard.
m
l
January 20, 2010 5:42:28 AM

Or change your drive from AHCI to IDE in BIOS, that works too if you don't have your drivers.
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2010 11:47:45 AM

I tried changing from Ide to Ahci and then to Raid. but no luck. I pressed F6 and when its try to copy the drivers it asks me for a 'Floppy drive. Problem my board P7p55deo 1156
does not have any connection for a Floppy drive,

The only floppy drive I can put is a USB type. Is there any other way to get the drivers installed without a floppy drive. tia
m
l
January 20, 2010 11:50:32 AM

USB works fine actually, just have to set that up in BIOS.
m
l
January 20, 2010 12:41:40 PM

In my bios what type of Sata do I choose, IDE, AHCI or Raid. tia
m
l
January 20, 2010 12:53:30 PM

If you don't plan to RAID and you have your drivers, then choose AHCI and enable the USB floppy emulation function and then off you go.
m
l
January 20, 2010 1:20:14 PM

was wondering if I install win7 64bit
and re-install win xp, my mobo will have the sata drivers and it will work.
m
l

Best solution

January 20, 2010 1:28:29 PM

My recommendation would be to install XP first, and then windows 7, to keep your boot menu working so you have access to both operating systems. And ya, as long as you have the right drivers to install, or select IDE then it should work fine.
January 20, 2010 1:30:58 PM

OOOH wait I see what your saying, ya because XP doesn't have drivers already for AHCI but Vista and Win7 do.

Ya if you install Win7 first, and then XP. XP won't let you boot into Win7 without manually jacking with the hmmm I forget what it's called. Was boot.ini in XP, but it's called something different in Vista and Win7.

I pose this question though... why keep XP?
m
l
January 20, 2010 1:45:51 PM

Cause I have a laser printer that is supported by XP and some other devices that are no longer supported by vista or win7.

I started installing win7 64 and asks me for the drivers, I insert the Asus movo cd and finds no drivers. did I forget something. tia
m
l
January 20, 2010 2:41:55 PM

boonality said:
OOOH wait I see what your saying, ya because XP doesn't have drivers already for AHCI but Vista and Win7 do.

Ya if you install Win7 first, and then XP. XP won't let you boot into Win7 without manually jacking with the hmmm I forget what it's called. Was boot.ini in XP, but it's called something different in Vista and Win7.

I pose this question though... why keep XP?

I tried to install win 7 64 and gets to a point it asks a cd for drivers, and loaded themobo drivers and no luck

Then I installed the win7 32 and everything is smooth. but have not entered the registration key.

Why win 64 won't work, I burned it on slow speed. and verified it in vista home edition, does my dvd burner must support a 64 bit. tia
m
l
January 20, 2010 9:06:01 PM

ya it wants drivers, what I read from other boards, that maybe the Win 7 64 iso was not burned in 64bit or something like that.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 20, 2010 10:05:09 PM

frankma said:
Cause I have a laser printer that is supported by XP and some other devices that are no longer supported by vista or win7.

I started installing win7 64 and asks me for the drivers, I insert the Asus movo cd and finds no drivers. did I forget something. tia

There should be a MakeDisk executable in the directory for the SATA drivers for Win XP. I'm not certain which exact mobo you b/c the asus website listed 8 or 9 different P7 P55D models. Look for SATA drivers, there should be a MakeDisk executable to format and copy the drivers to a floppy disk. I have to do this same procedure to re-install XP on my system. The American website for ASUS is down at this time, but you may find what you need at Global.

Here's a link for with instructions for adding and slipstreaming SP2 (which should have the SATA drivers built-in):

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slip...
m
l
January 21, 2010 6:02:13 PM

I did this procedure and unless I missed somthing, it does not recognize the cd as bootable and freezes, thank
m
l
a b G Storage
February 1, 2010 12:36:34 AM

Best answer selected by r_manic.
m
l
!