Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is it possible that my old hard drive is still causing problems??

Last response: in Storage
January 20, 2010 4:38:44 AM

Hello Everyone

I have a Compaq Presario SR1403WM Desktop computer, and I have had this computer for a few years. It has a Windows XP OS. It has a Samsung SP0902N IDE hard drive. I started getting this warning basically stating that my hard drive was going to fail and to backup my data and replace the hard drive. Other times I would receive this error message:

disk boot error insert system disk and press enter

I recently purchased a Western Digital (WD) Caviar Blue WD3200JBRTL IDE hard drive. I installed the WD hard drive, but I left the old hard drive in. I copied the contents of the old hard drive to the new hard drive using Acronis, and the computer worked fine for a few days. I noticed that when I went into the BIOS, the new hard drive was set as the slave, and the old hard drive was still the master. The jumper settings for both of the hard drives are set as cable select. According to the instructions I read, the new hard drive should be set to cable select as well, if the master is set as cable select. The new hard drive is on the slave connector, and the old hard drive is on the master connector of the ide cable. I am also able to see the new hard drive in My Computer, and in Disk Management. When I started my computer this morning, I received an error message stating that there was a disk boot error insert system disk and press enter. Sometimes if I just restarted the computer, the computer would turn on fine without the error message. I also noticed that in Disk Management, the new drive I installed had the active partition, instead of the old hard drive. Is it possible that the old hard drive is still causing problems because I never took it out of the computer? I will take the old hard drive out, and move the new hard drive to the master connector part on the ide cable. I should have did that in the first place, but I was just looking for some opinions concerning the old hard drive still being installed. I was just wondering if the old hard drive was still giving that error message somehow. Thank you for any help you can give me.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 20, 2010 7:06:22 AM

With IDE, if you use Cable Select the position of the drives on the ribbon cable decides which is Master.

Though Compaq used to always install hard drives with jumpers set to Cable Select, I suspect you could reset them to Master and Slave which is more reliable.
m
l

Best solution

a c 357 G Storage
January 20, 2010 1:11:54 PM

To answer your question, YES.

Everything you have set up is correct. With both HDD units set to CS by jumpers, the one plugged into the END of the cable will be the Master, and you have the old drive this way. In your setup, as the BIOS runs though the POST process it wants to be sure that all connected devices are working, and it will NOT be happy to proceed if it runs into a HDD unit that is connected (and, it supposes, might actually be needed sometime) that has errors right off the start.

Since you do not seem to need the old HDD at all, there is a very simple solution. Disconnect the power cord and open the case. Unplug the IDE ribbon cable from BOTH drives, then plug the END connector into the NEW drive, and leave the middle connector unused. This will make the new drive the Master on an IDE channel that has no Slave. If you're convinced the old drive is so unreliable it is of no use, unplug its power connector and maybe physically remove it form the case before closing up and reconnecting the power cord.

When you first turn on, go directly into BIOS Setup. (On many, that means holding down the "Del" key, but I'm not sure if your machine has a different key to use.) Check where all the IDE drives are configured and make sure that the system now has detected the new unit as the Primary IDE Channel Master and there is no Slave. Then go to where the Boot Priority Sequence is set and make sure that is is now using that new Master (it used to be set to Primary Channel Slave). Save and Exit, and you should be good to go with no further problems.
Related resources
January 20, 2010 4:54:51 PM

Thank you for your reply. I do not have any use for the old hard drive. I should have just taken it out while I was installing the new hard drive. Once I make the new hard drive the master, I will check the BIOS again to make sure that the settings for the new hard drive are ok. Thanks :D 
m
l
January 20, 2010 6:59:46 PM

Best answer selected by Shania1682.
m
l
!