4870 over heating by a lot...

G

I have a 4870... and I have an HR-03 GT on it... idle temps are low 40s and the loads are mid - high 50s.

I also put some swift tech ramsinks on the ram modules... In gpuz it reads the ramsinks as being mid 50s at idle

I thought these temperatures were great...

But I kept getting game crashes and VPU recover messages... even at stock...

It turns out in gpuz it shows the ram hitting about 100 C on load.... and the VDDC (don't know what this is) hitting WELL OVER 150 C... now i know these temperatures are WAY to hot... but i'm unsure as what i can do to fix it... w/o re-installing the stock heatsink and see if these problems persist

Anyone have any ideas? I'm really kinda pissed at this right now... I have absolutely no idea what to do... I usually have some sort of idea... but i'm just "flabbergasted" at this....

hsetir

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Increase fan speed, some tweaks floating around net. and then use some reliable software to measure the temps. I generally use everest ultimate edition. If the temps are going beyond tolerance, try underclocking your card.
If the temps are within tolerance but crash occurs, try different drivers. The worst case crash under tolerable temps is that video ram is corrupt and might have to rma.

Malovane

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Well, if I'm not mistaken, the VDDC is your voltage regulator temperature. I think yours is about 50-60% higher than it should be. Did you make sure to put sinks on those? They are kind of easy to miss...