Abnormal voltage

acid_drained

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
hi, everyone im new here. i have a question about my core voltage because it's acting weird. i have a c2d E4600, mobo- 945gcm-s2l, a 550 watts atx p4, geforce 9600gt 1gb, 2gb ram, 250gb wd disk. the problem is when i check it with CPU-Z the core voltage is not fix. core voltage- 1.296v, sometimes 1.385v,sometimes 0.978v. and wen it does it overclocks and underclocks my cpu without doing anything and it crashes and sometimes i get the blue screen. do i need to change my psu? wat psu do you suggest?

festerovic

Distinguished
I bet if you have something running that is using near 100% cpu, like folding@home or something, that your voltage would not fluctuate so much. It's probably because you have not turned off the Speed Step (or c1E) not sure, in the bios. What it does is reduce the multiplier on the chip when CPU usage is low. Because the resulting clock speed is less, the chip is using less power, hence the drastic difference.

Most boards, but not all, will let you disable the feature. Some make you disable it to be able to overclock. If you read the sticky thread about overclocking C2Ds, it will talk about it.

acid_drained

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
thx, you were right i've check the bios and the c1E is enabled, so i disabled and now when i run cpu-z its normal now the core voltage is not going up an down. thank you very much.

tkgclimb

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
It shouldn't crash though, that's wierd. Speed step and CnQ (for amd), are supposed to make quiter, cooler, PC's without sacrificing performance when it is needed. The crashing you mentioned could be do to something else, or a weird speed step. if disabling it solves the problem then stick to it.

If you do at some point want to enable Speed Step, and the crashes start when you do, the problem could be in an idle p-state (I don't know if their called this for intel CPU's) that has the voltage set to low. Just letting you know, so in the future you know what's up.

and welcome to TOMs hardware