Sign in with
Your question

Front Side Bus

Last response: in Motherboards
December 7, 2008 9:35:19 PM

I'm not sure if I'm posting this is the right place, but I'm looking at a computer set up (out of the box) that has an AMD Phenom X4 processor at 2.3 MHz, and it has a 1800 MHz Front Side Bus. I understand that the bus can slow down what could otherwise be a fast computer, but I don't know if this FSB is slow for the rest of the computer. Help? Other info, if it helps: 4MB L2 cache, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, 500 GB hard drive. Thanks! :p 

More about : front side bus

December 7, 2008 9:49:58 PM

firstly, amd doesn't use a front side bus. they have been using something similar to what intel started using with the core i7. i wouldn't worry about the hypertransport speed on an amd system that much.
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2008 9:50:40 PM

Puyallup83 said:
I'm not sure if I'm posting this is the right place, but I'm looking at a computer set up (out of the box) that has an AMD Phenom X4 processor at 2.3 MHz, and it has a 1800 MHz Front Side Bus. I understand that the bus can slow down what could otherwise be a fast computer, but I don't know if this FSB is slow for the rest of the computer. Help? Other info, if it helps: 4MB L2 cache, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, 500 GB hard drive. Thanks! :p 

Thats 2.3ghz aka 2300mhz

AMD's dont really have a "FSB", more hypertransport and an integrated memory controller etc

Seems the FSB bottleneck is over hyped - Core 2 Duo vs AMD K8+ vs Intel Core i7, performance difference shows its not really a bottleneck but then again it comes down to architecture etc- cache helps.

If your after a super fast machine look into an Intel Core 2 Quad or Intel Core i7 if you have the $$$ - AMD just doesnt seem in the game atm.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 7, 2008 9:55:37 PM

the removal of the FSB has completely changed memory though... it may not show direct performance increase... but the the potential of ram has now more than doubled with the removal of fsb
December 7, 2008 11:18:51 PM

The product description indicates that it has a Front Side Bus. Do you think that ZT systems is using out of date technology with this one: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=113186...|84|56671&N=4026404&Mo=8&No=5&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=74668&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=
Thanks! : )
December 8, 2008 12:04:09 AM

The AMD setup will work fine for you.
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2008 5:54:06 AM

Puyallup83 said:
The product description indicates that it has a Front Side Bus. Do you think that ZT systems is using out of date technology with this one:

Not out-dated technology, just out-dated terminology. Phenom X4 9650 HT bus is 1800MHz. Everything is as it should be.
December 8, 2008 11:17:27 PM

Thanks so much for the clarification!! It's much appreciated. :hello: 
December 9, 2008 1:04:23 AM

Quote:
firstly, amd doesn't use a front side bus. they have been using something similar to what intel started using with the core i7. i wouldn't worry about the hypertransport speed on an amd system that much.

Well first off many sites list the specs of AMD mobo's like this:
FSB: 2600MHz Hyper Transport (5200 MT/s)
We all know what he meant. Secondly how is the FSB/HT not important just because it's an AMD board?? The speed at which your CPU communicates with the rest of the board I would say is a pretty significant number to pay attention to, Intel or AMD. :heink: 
December 9, 2008 2:51:07 AM

So, based on the information I have given (I'm the original poster), do you see anything I should worry about with this computer? Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2008 4:47:44 AM

No!
December 9, 2008 7:45:16 AM

^geez.. be nice
!