Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade onboard video - PCI only option

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 15, 2008 11:42:35 PM

Hi all.
I have just been handed a Dell E310. I am trying to get the most I can out of this machine. I have upgraded the Memory to 2Gig. My question is with the video. Would I have any improvements if I upgrade the video with a PCI 256 MB card (I have a spare)?? It currently has onboard graphics - Intel GMA 900 with Dynamic Video Memory Technology 3.0 and only PCI or PCIe x1 slots. I do not game. I do video and photo editing, and general use.

Thanks,

Jason
September 15, 2008 11:51:43 PM

The Graphics card I have available to use as the upgrade is the Diamond Stealth 9250, an ATI card.

Jason
Related resources
September 16, 2008 12:14:09 AM

any of the modern low-end radeon cards should do nicely. most of them can also decode HD video if you ever plan on watching HD movies on your computer.
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2008 12:22:50 AM

I recently put a PCI GeForce 6200 256 /64 into a Dell 310 who's integrated video had puked out. While it did work they saw no improvement between it and the old integrated video while playing games like World of Warcraft (nearly the same fps at same settings in same areas). At least it worked, but no improvement. For reference check out this hierarchy chart
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Best-Graphics-Card,...
September 16, 2008 2:12:57 AM

achewygumball said:
I have the same crappy E310 right now, and the best card that you can use is this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Surprisngly, the Dell has a pci express....x1 slot

That may be a bit more powerful, but it's an earlier generation that runs on specialized processors instead of unified stream processors (tends to run poorer on new applications), support up to dx9 instead of dx10, and most importantly, cost over twice as much.
September 16, 2008 3:08:42 AM

Putting the card in won't hurt.
If nothing else, it will free up a small amount of RAM.

But don't expect to play modern games.
September 16, 2008 1:20:29 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I'll leave the card out unless I have problems, then I'll buy a better card. I don't play games so I should be ok. I didn't know that card was a decade old.

Jason
!