CPU cooling ... one or two fans?

V01

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
I've got a Thermalright 120 and I'm wondering about fixing two fans to the heatsink or just one.
Is there a great difference in CPU tempetature? ... or it isn't worth it.

Regards

Are you talking about the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme? From what reviews I've read, adding a second fan to that cooler doesn't make much difference. With either one or two fans it's still one of the best coolers ever and should be enough for all sane purposes. Just pick a good fan. The nicest results I've seen in reviews were for that cooler combined with a S-Flex SFF21F.

Check out these charts:
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3268&p=7

^beat me to it! :p

If planing to use 2 fans you have to be careful about CFM and possible vacume like effects. Imo, there isn't much of a difference between 1 or 2 CPU fans. But do consider getting a quiet Yate Loon/Scyth fan for CPU and a few case exhaust fans.

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
the charts show up to 3c difference, which may or may not be important to you depending if you're trying to get a max overclock. I have the true with push/pull noctua's. i recommend them. pricey but they're gonna outlast your comp.

Wow, that's expensive but a great combo. Just curious, did you have any trouble attaching those fans to the TRUE? Some people complained it wasn't easy, but maybe they're just mechanically challenged :)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I use the S-Flex SFF21F with mine, it's a good choice. The fan is somewhat of a hassle to clip on in the case. I recommend clipping it on and then install the mobo. I agree that either the S1283 or the S1284 Xigmateks with their respective backplates are a better idea, I was impressed with the S1283. I don't like the AC Freezer 7 Pro with the push pin mounting and it being only 92MM.