Your question

HSF for AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
October 30, 2009 2:30:29 PM

I m planning on building my own PC (first time lol) and gonna a order tomorrow.
Following is my build so far. I mainly use my PC for gaming (WOW) and this time i wanna try overclocking.
I absoutely have no clue which HSF will be good fit for my build.. could you guys recommend one for me plz~ =)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231276
$89.99

COMBO
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131402
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819103674
$265.98

COMBO
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136319
COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119137
$99.98

COMBO
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817371025
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 100283L Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102858
$234.94

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6827151192
$25.99

More about : hsf amd phenom 955 black edition

October 30, 2009 5:27:22 PM

If your only going to game WOW that CPU is overkill, if you wan't to get it so down the line your still good to go, then it's a great one.

But to max that CPU out your going to need more graphics power, but can also be upgraded down the line.

Whats your budget, if you want the absolute best get a thermalright true or a prolimatech megahalem. If you have a budget the core contact freezer is pretty good from newegg and cheap, also some of the exgimetechs are good and cheap.

Try to get a 120mm HSF though.
m
l
October 31, 2009 5:51:08 PM

The heat sink that comes with the phenom 2 x4 chips is actually very good.
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2009 7:47:34 PM

^ I was just using mine, and it's really small but it does cool fine if your not OC'ing, it is a little loud.

But i didn't think the 955 comes with one because it is a Black Edition.
m
l
November 2, 2009 4:44:12 PM

I am actually in a similar boat, I am planning on running the same CPU/MoBo combo,
I was looking at the xiggy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
but from everything I have read is that it will have to mount blowing vertically, and that is garbage.
I was also looking at this sunbeam
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
But I think it may block memory slots and I want to use all 4... plus it's a pain to figure out how these stupid things will end up mounting.
m
l
November 2, 2009 9:16:03 PM

Funny thing, I have both those exact coolers and you are correct,

the HDT does blow vertically (which actually in my case doesn't affect much but it is lame)

and the CCF is big and will take up a lot of room, on my mobo (xfx 750a) it covers the first two slots, unless you turn it backwards and set it up as a pull.
m
l
November 3, 2009 4:15:00 PM

I was looking at this http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/cooling/sunbeamtech_core-... and it seems to me that it's just the fan that would be blocking the RAM and won't prevent using the slots just bar easy acess unless of course you're using some majorly tall heatsinked RAM.

Also on Frostytech.com I noticed that it is in the top 10 performing list.
m
l
November 4, 2009 2:32:45 AM

^ Yeah if your ram doesn't have heat sinks there is a good chance it will work, and you can usually sqeeze a little wiggle room in.

The cooler is good and many people swear by it, I have it running in my case right now, but do to the fact that it hits my rams heatsinks it is backwards with the fan pulling air (I jury rigged another fan to push air, but it is jury rigged).

My temps on a stock AMD X2 5000+ 2.6ghx (my PII 945 in the shop, wahwah) are idle of 25 with an internal case temp of 22, so thats pretty good. But I would replace the fan since mine produces an extremely loud whine above low speeds.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 4, 2009 7:41:45 AM

A Scythe Mugen 2 works great with the 955. It's very silent, I cannot even hear it at max speed. Many people do replace the stock fan, but it works wonders for me already.

This is undervolted with a very low clock. Also includes my Sapphire 4890 Toxic, so my GPU also helps keep the temps low.

This is with max CPU voltage and a 900mhz OC.

These SS were taken at night though and it's almost winter time in North California, so depending on your location and time of day/year, temps do vary.

The Sunbeam Core Contact is great, but you can only install one fan on it, whereas you can install up to 4 on a Scythe Mugen 2, but the Core Contact is cheaper, granted you get the MIR. The Mugen 2 is a big HSF so make sure you check if you case can fit a giant HSF and it won't block low-profile RAM heatsinks (the normal G.Skill RAM or in my case, Mushkin RAM), but if RAM is the problem, you can always place the fan on any of the other 3 sides.

Hope you consider the Scythe Mugen 2 and good luck on your build!
m
l
November 4, 2009 11:22:06 AM

I'll be getting ym build up and running probably next week, gotta wait a few paydays before i invest in some upgrades like a cooler.... it's interesting to know the mugen will work. what MoBo are you running with that mugen?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 5, 2009 12:44:26 AM

niacine said:
I'll be getting ym build up and running probably next week, gotta wait a few paydays before i invest in some upgrades like a cooler.... it's interesting to know the mugen will work. what MoBo are you running with that mugen?

MSI 790FX-GD70, board works great for the Mugen, but if you're going to use up all the RAM slots, make sure it's low profile or else you'll have to put the fan to push upwards if you have an AMD-based system.
m
l
November 6, 2009 8:17:05 AM

I've assembled a PC some 2 months ago, components that matter for the topic:
AMD 955 BE
stock cooler (for now)
Sapphire Vapor-X HD 4890
Gigabyte Setto 1000 case (2x120mm silent fans front and rear)
Gigabyte MA-790-XT UD4P MBO
Corsair TX 650W

The problem is that the CPU heats a lot - it's around 40C on idle, when playing Half Life 2 part one it goes to 50C, and when subjected to Prime95 it quickly goes beyond 60C and stays between 62-64C.

Although it's still stable under this temp, I want to get this temp down quite a bit.

I'd like to take a good cooler which still will not require removing of the MBO, and which will not take too much space in the case.

Can you recommend some coolers?

Do coolers come with pre-applied thermal paste or is it better to buy one as well?
m
l
November 6, 2009 8:34:39 PM

The ones we have been talking about are good (core contact Freezer for instance) most just snap on there. Go to Frostytech.com an look at the coolers on their list, the reviews should also say wheather you have to install a backplate or not.

You can use the pre-applied thermal paste if the cooler comes with it (some don't and some come with a whole tube of paste). But it is better if you get your own TIM if not for any other purpose that you can install the cooler more then once if something happens.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 6, 2009 11:01:37 PM

I would look into the Core Contact Freezer then, the Mugen 2 is huge, but taking the stock HSF out and putting the Mugen in only took about 30 minutes for me and it's my first system build, so I'm no expert.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 7, 2009 6:11:15 AM

I picked the Scythe Samurai Zz over the CCF purely for size, even though it was a new untested model. I have experienced very impressive temp drops, and even at max fan speed, is a bit quieter than the stock unit I replaced. I recommend it heartily, nothing but a good experience in the first few days.
m
l
November 8, 2009 9:26:37 AM

Thank for the quick replies. I've found Scythe Samurai Zz available in Croatia for about 35 US$, however according to this table

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/amx-coolers

It is not recommended for 125W CPUs - which my AMD 955 BE is (I've actually taken a rather power-thirsty combo of the CPU and Radeon HD4890).

Would this cooler be better?

Cooler ARCTIC-COOLING Freezer 64 Pro PWM, socket 754/939/940/AM2
http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/amx-coolers/a...

Core contact freezer is not available in Croatia.

I'm not very skilled (this PC was the first one which I've assembled - other than this the high point of my skill was installing PCI and AGP cards) so I'd like to choose a cooler that will last, and which will also enable me to overclock the CPU to 3.8 GHz - when the time comes.

The case will be opened later and I'll measure the free space - will also have to remove the heat pipe on the side of the case. When I open the case the temps remain the same for all components so I don't see a need to change the case fans for the moment.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 8, 2009 8:45:59 PM

AndorDrakon said:
Thank for the quick replies. I've found Scythe Samurai Zz available in Croatia for about 35 US$, however according to this table

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/amx-coolers

It is not recommended for 125W CPUs - which my AMD 955 BE is (I've actually taken a rather power-thirsty combo of the CPU and Radeon HD4890).

Would this cooler be better?

Cooler ARCTIC-COOLING Freezer 64 Pro PWM, socket 754/939/940/AM2
http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/amx-coolers/a...

Core contact freezer is not available in Croatia.

I'm not very skilled (this PC was the first one which I've assembled - other than this the high point of my skill was installing PCI and AGP cards) so I'd like to choose a cooler that will last, and which will also enable me to overclock the CPU to 3.8 GHz - when the time comes.

The case will be opened later and I'll measure the free space - will also have to remove the heat pipe on the side of the case. When I open the case the temps remain the same for all components so I don't see a need to change the case fans for the moment.

As long as the room is cold (about 60-70F), a normal mid-tower case should do fine.

As for overclocking, as long as you get a decent-sized HSF, you can do 3.8ghz easily.
m
l
November 18, 2009 5:39:01 PM

Well time for an update, I have finally opened the case, removed the heat pipe and measured the space...the Scythe Mugen 2 should fit and thereafter not a fly will be able to enter.

But now that the heat pipe was removed, I ran Prime95 for 8 minutes (the temp quickly rises) but this time it "only" went to 60 C.

However, now that the CPU is downclocked to 800 MHz with "Cool & Quiet", the fan on the stock CPU cooler is spinning at 4600 rpm - significantly higher than before when the heat pipe was in the case.

Additionally, after I install the Scythe Mugen 2 I won't be able to have any fans on the case except for 2 silent 120mm fans which came with the case - meaning that I'm likely going to have to replace them with stronger fans and maybe even install one fan in the 5,25" slot for additional air intake (although I've placed all extra power cables in that position).

I will turn off the "Cool & Quiet" in BIOS and see which temps we will have when idling in Windows 7 RC build 7100...they are in the 45-50 C range, with the CPU fan spinning at 5500 rpm and it's heard in the next room.

After turning the K8 "cool & quiet" back on, and returning the heat pipe, I am back to temp on CPU of 40 C, but the CPU fan is only spinning at 2300 rpm.

I hope that the Mugen 2 will solve CPU heat problems - but I will also have to improve air flow in the case, or at least so it seems for now...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2009 7:37:36 PM

Hmm, thats the first time seeing the Zz rated that way. I will have to report back when it migrates to the new build in january (most likely 125w PhII 965), consiering how impressed I am with it as it is on my leaky x3 (OC specs in sig). I am willing to at least test it out, heh.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2009 11:02:57 PM

I was getting 50's and 60's before my Scythe Mugen 2 and now that it's colder, I'm getting low 30s, 40s if I OC to 3.8ghz-4.0ghz. I do have 2 120mm front intake, 1 120mm rear exhaust and 1 200mm top exhaust on my case though. I'd expect you to have around high 30s, maybe 40s. All in C temp of course.
m
l
November 20, 2009 3:11:39 PM

how is cooler master v8 compare to scythe mugen 2??
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 20, 2009 9:35:00 PM

dreamie09 said:
how is cooler master v8 compare to scythe mugen 2??

It's about the same in size (V8 being taller and the Mugen 2 being fatter) and it weighs the same as the Mugen 2, also you must remove the motherboard to install either HSFs. The V8 costs about 1.5x as much, although the V8 has a fan controller. The Mugen 2 can have a push/pull with 2-4 fans, while the V8 only supports 1 fan. In terms of noise, I think the V8 is louder, although Frosty tech never made a review on the Scythe Mugen 2, so I cannot say for sure. Both perform about the same on the latest procs (AM3, i5, i7) idling at high 20Cs- low30Cs.
m
l
February 10, 2010 12:12:40 AM

The HSF that comes with phenom II x4 955 are a joke as they need an ambient temperature of about 16C (air conditioning or winter)to keep the processor under 62C (Clean HSF w/o a hint of dust).But these HSFs aren't obviously designed to handle the hot weather of middle eastern countries (Egypt for instance).Though I have to admit that we've never seen this problem with intel CPUs (I've owned a 3.2GHz Pentium D,2.4GHz P4 & Seen 2.4GHz Q6600 & 2.66GHz i7 920 @ full load with Prime 95 yet still manage to stay below their thermal specification).The company has the best price /performance but i don't know why they don't ship good heat sinks like intel does(In a SBM article, an i7 920 was oc'ed to about 3.44GHz with the stock cooler while being installed in a very small case)
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 6:40:34 AM

youssef 2010 said:
The HSF that comes with phenom II x4 955 are a joke as they need an ambient temperature of about 16C (air conditioning or winter)to keep the processor under 62C (Clean HSF w/o a hint of dust).But these HSFs aren't obviously designed to handle the hot weather of middle eastern countries (Egypt for instance).Though I have to admit that we've never seen this problem with intel CPUs (I've owned a 3.2GHz Pentium D,2.4GHz P4 & Seen 2.4GHz Q6600 & 2.66GHz i7 920 @ full load with Prime 95 yet still manage to stay below their thermal specification).The company has the best price /performance but i don't know why they don't ship good heat sinks like intel does(In a SBM article, an i7 920 was oc'ed to about 3.44GHz with the stock cooler while being installed in a very small case)

Check the date next time you post. :lol: 

I see no point trying to sway people towards Intel when the OP requested for an aftermarket fan for AMD. Why even mention stock fans? Neither AMD nor Intel will ship out good HSFs with their CPUs.
m
l
July 24, 2010 1:43:17 PM

kokin said:
It's about the same in size (V8 being taller and the Mugen 2 being fatter) and it weighs the same as the Mugen 2, also you must remove the motherboard to install either HSFs. The V8 costs about 1.5x as much, although the V8 has a fan controller. The Mugen 2 can have a push/pull with 2-4 fans, while the V8 only supports 1 fan. In terms of noise, I think the V8 is louder, although Frosty tech never made a review on the Scythe Mugen 2, so I cannot say for sure. Both perform about the same on the latest procs (AM3, i5, i7) idling at high 20Cs- low30Cs.

I need an heatsink for my AMD965 BE with Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H, i was thinking exactly v8 or mugen 2. My only problem is not blocking RAM slots, height is not important cause I keep the case open. So, is it better v8? Or another HS?
Thanks
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 27, 2010 7:32:15 AM

kalashnk said:
I need an heatsink for my AMD965 BE with Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H, i was thinking exactly v8 or mugen 2. My only problem is not blocking RAM slots, height is not important cause I keep the case open. So, is it better v8? Or another HS?
Thanks

It will depend on the RAM modules that you will be using. If they are low-profile RAM, both will work. If you want the best price/performance though, I recommend Coolermaster's Hyper 212+. It's much thinner(meaning less weight) and cheaper, though the stock fan is not as quiet at max speeds. I think the Hyper 212+ performs on par with the Mugen 2.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...

I suggest looking at places other than Newegg for the Hyper 212+, since Newegg seems to be selling it for $50 vs. places like Amazon that sell it for a mere $30 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-B10-212P-G1-Univ...
m
l
!