• Motherboards
  • Chipsets
  • Intel
  • Nvidia
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2008 9:53:58 AM

Small question.

Which chipset is the fastest? Intel's P35 or Nvidia's 680i?

Thanks

More about : fastest p35 680i

December 8, 2008 1:02:12 PM

i cant say on the 680i but i have a 650i and altough its never let me down with games maxed out like crysis, grid etc im looking to upgrade. if you want sli then 680i or higher will be better, ive been looking at p35 chipsets as i hear they overclock better
December 8, 2008 1:25:44 PM

"Fastest" doesn't really exist with motherboards, they are more about features and stability, and in that regard the P35 (or P45) wins for the most part. djvibes is right, P35/45 are much more overclock friendly and are generally more stable mobo's - this is just a general truth between Intel and nVidia motherboards.

Both boards should support the Core 2 45nm CPU's, although the P35 will likely need a BIOS update if it doesn't come with one to have the CPU work. Should be easy enough to find out if the P35 supports the CPU with a google search.

Some motherboards support different "speeds" of memory, such as DDR2-800 and DDR2-1066. The only difference between 800 and 1066 is that the 1066 will let you overclock your processor faster. Likewise, some motherboards come with a higher rated FSB than others which also helps with processor overclocking.

Hope that sheds some light on it and at least lets you respond with more detailed questions if you have any!

Cheers
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2008 1:36:49 PM

Both are pretty old, but the P35 OC's much better. However, you can only run Crossfire on it, or a single nVidia card. As for the 680i's, you can SLI on them, but they rarely do well OC'ing and sometimes kill RAM when you OC. Google it and see what you find, but you will also find plenty on here under the motherboards and overclocking sections about it.
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2008 2:07:02 PM

As stated, both are dated tech. You should check out the newer P45 if you are looking at the P45 - you can get them for a good price.
December 8, 2008 2:08:06 PM

I would go with the P35 over the 680i for non SLI configurations. The USB, disk controllers, and south bridge controllers on the P35 are more efficient.
Stability and compatibility is also something I keep in mind, the P35 chipset is definitely the winner in this category as well.
a c 619 V Motherboard
a c 214 å Intel
a c 151 Î Nvidia
December 8, 2008 2:24:20 PM

With the same cpu, all chipsets run the cpu at the same speed. There are minor differences that are not worth bothering about. If you are into overclocking, then the newer chipsets do better. Make a decision on other factors.
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2008 3:25:07 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Really didn't expect that much input.

Actually I'm not looking to buy one of both boards but it is a fact that I own a 680i. It's just that I recently bought a GTX 280 and when I fired up Far Cry 2, it didn't perform like I expected.
A friend of mine also has a GTX 280 but he has a P35 mobo, so I compared his Far Cry 2 benchmarks with mine and they are exactly the same. However they are still much lower than the ones you get on i7 configs. So I was wondering what would cause that issue and I though about the mobo in the first instance. Now I know they are about the same when it comes to performance so I gues it must be a combination of the chipsets and the PCIe 1.1 busses which are on my and my friends mobo which are slowing the GTX 280 down a little bit.

Thanks a lot because I've learned some extra things about both mobo's

However I still have a question for djvibes2007. What GFX do you have? Because I really surprises me you can play Crysis maxed out on a 650i. I know my GTX 280 can play it maxed out but I'm not sure whether it can do on my mobo because my gfx gets bottlenecked.
December 8, 2008 3:44:34 PM

8800gt 1gb overclocked 738/1635/905

i can play with Anti-aliasing at 2x at a smooth fps

edit, full spec:

P5N-E SLI 650i - latest bios
8800gt 1gb
Q6600 @ 3ghz < helps the fps
4x1gb ddr2 corsair xms2

try upgrading your drivers from the nvidia site
a c 619 V Motherboard
a c 214 å Intel
a c 151 Î Nvidia
December 8, 2008 4:02:08 PM

i7 motherboards will be using at least a 920 i7 cpu. That is a very strong cpu, and it is easily overclocked. To the extent that FC2 has a lot of need for cpu power, the i7 will run faster.

If you do not have 4gb, then that is a very cost effective upgrade.
a c 619 V Motherboard
a c 214 å Intel
a c 151 Î Nvidia
December 8, 2008 4:06:04 PM

Also, the difference between pcie 1.0 and 2.0 is negligible. All cards are forward and backward compatible, and run almost equally well on either.
a b V Motherboard
December 8, 2008 4:52:45 PM

I don't have 4gb ram but when i'm playing fc2 it doesn't even use all of my 2gb ram.

about the cpu. I have a q6600 @ 2.88ghz. Isn't that enough for FC2?
December 8, 2008 7:43:01 PM

Nils said:
I don't have 4gb ram but when i'm playing fc2 it doesn't even use all of my 2gb ram.

about the cpu. I have a q6600 @ 2.88ghz. Isn't that enough for FC2?

2.88ghz? You aren't tapping into the potential of that video card. See if you can bump that processor to 3.2-3.4ghz and that should improve your performance.
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2008 11:08:37 AM

Thanks for the report. Gonna read it tonight when I have more time.

I know that 2.88GHz isn't that much in the world of demanding games but you know I have a 680i and these s*ck when it comes to OC'ing a quad. 2.88 GHz which is an increase of 480 Mhz is the highest I can get while keeping my sys rock stable.

However I don't understand why you reply 'you can't use more ram than you have'. Sounds obvious. The only thing i know is that when i exit the game without closing it (using CTRL+ALT+ESC) I see it isn't using all of my ram at all (I have 2gb running XP PRO SP3 32-bit). I also play in DX9, which needs less mem. Anyway do you still think that adding an extra 2gb would give some improvements?
a c 619 V Motherboard
a c 214 å Intel
a c 151 Î Nvidia
December 9, 2008 2:10:20 PM

XP was designed when ram was very expensive. XP will constantly move good data to the page file to make room in case it needs some space. It is designed to conserve ram, at the expense of page I/O. Vista, on the other hand, keeps more stuff in ram in anticipation that it might be reused.

Just because ram does not seem to be filled up to the max does not mean that if you had more ram that it would not be used to improve performance.
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2008 2:46:34 PM

That's the reason why when you enter the game again, the image is sometimes stuck for a second, because it has to reload the data from the pagefile.

Btw I already tried to add 2gb to my sys so i bought another dual channel kit like the one i already had, but for some reason my motherboard does not want to run 4 1gb sticks in dual channel. In single channel it works but a lot more slowly. I know some people say dual channel makes no sense, but i want to keep it working.
So I though about buying a dual channel kit of 2x2gb. That will probably work. Now I have ddr2 800. Is it worth the money getting ddr2 1000 or 1066 or even higher? Anyway for everything above 800Mhz i will need sli-ready memory as it is reported in my mobo manual.
a c 619 V Motherboard
a c 214 å Intel
a c 151 Î Nvidia
December 9, 2008 7:58:00 PM

Some motherboards have a harder time running 4 sticks of ram vs. two. Particularly if overclocking.
Sometimes a ram vendor will change the manufacturing technology for the same labeled ram. Again some motherboards will react badly to this. That is why ram is best bought in 4gb kits.

For the most part, ram speed does not matter because the C2 cpu's are not sensitive to ram speeds. The difference between the fastest and slowest is only a few percentage points in real(vs. synthetic benchmark) speeds.
If you get 4gb running in single channel mode, the performance should be about as good, but I wonder what else is going on if you have to do that.

For $25 after rebate, you can get a corsair 4gb(2x2gb) ddr2-800 kit which is not much of an investment.

a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2008 10:19:42 AM

geofelt said:
Some motherboards have a harder time running 4 sticks of ram vs. two. Particularly if overclocking.
Sometimes a ram vendor will change the manufacturing technology for the same labeled ram. Again some motherboards will react badly to this. That is why ram is best bought in 4gb kits.

This completely applies to me. First I am oc'ing and second the newer ram i bought had the same vendor code but it was a newer version.

I think i'll get the 2x2gb ddr2 800 from corsair. Its hard to find faster ram that is sli-ready and comes in 2x2gb sets (mostly it comes in 2x1gb sets)

geofelt, I'd like to thank you a lot. Your replies have been very helpful to me. If i would still have some questions about the ram, i'll post them in the memory section. I'm hoping to hear from you again if i need some help then.
a c 619 V Motherboard
a c 214 å Intel
a c 151 Î Nvidia
December 10, 2008 12:17:13 PM

SLI ready ram has to be pure marketing hyps. I see no connection between ram and sli.
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2008 1:03:05 PM

Not to sure about that. It seems that SLI ram contains memory profiles that can be read by nvidia chipsets so they can finetune the chipset to work optimally with ram of a higher speed. However if you like playing around with timings an mem speeds you should manage to get normal ram working too.

Now that we are talking about mem again, I took a look at some corsair dimms and i see there are kits with 5 5 5 18 timings and 4 4 4 12 timings. The latter ones are faster but is that really significant, i mean is it worth paying extra?
a c 619 V Motherboard
a c 214 å Intel
a c 151 Î Nvidia
December 10, 2008 1:15:02 PM

Core 2 cpu's are not very sensitive to ram speeds.
If you look at real application and game benchmarks(vs. synthetic tests),
you will see negligible difference in performance between the slowest and fastest ram.
Perhaps 1-2%. Not worth it to me.
Don't pay extra for faster ram or better timings unless you are a maximum overclocker.

My take is that more ram is better than faster ram.
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2008 4:13:35 PM

And Corsair DHX memory. Do they have some overclocking capabilities?
a c 619 V Motherboard
a c 214 å Intel
a c 151 Î Nvidia
December 10, 2008 4:48:18 PM

Nils said:
And Corsair DHX memory. Do they have some overclocking capabilities?

The DHX designation refers to the heat sinks that are applied to the modules. They are not really necessary, and somewhat of a marketing ploy. The same spec modules work just as well without the fancy heat spreaders.
The DHX ram will have the same overclocking capabilities as the same spec ram. You should expect no more than what the ram spec advertises.
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2008 5:01:44 PM

But because they have better cooling they can maybe reach higher speeds