GA-P35-DS3L & TWIN2X4096-6400C5 combatibility problems

hc5831

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
I have a GA-P35-DS3L motherboard from a home build a year ago.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059

Currently I am running 4x1 GB of Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 800

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220144

I haven't had any problems at all. I'm OCing and have my RAM at 2.4 running at 802 @1.9v.

I picked up a 2x2 GB stick of Cosair DDR2 800 ram on black friday for $15 AR. I couldn't resist the price and plan on upgrading to 8 GB in 2ish years. So I thought I'd pick up some DDR2 while it is cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

Unfortunately my computer will not post with the Cosair ram. I installed them last night and everything turned on fine. Then after 30 sec or so the CPU fan would stop. I did this 3 times with the same result. Note that my case does not have a case speaker so I have no info on beeps.

Before I bought the ram I checked the gigabyte web site to see if the ram on on their official list. The 1gb sticks were, but not the 2gb ones. The motherboard has been discontinued and replaced with the GA-EP35-DS3L. So I figured their mb info isn't being updated. As I recally my patriot ram is not on the official list either and works fine.

I made sure to look at the reviews at newegg to see if people were using the cosair on their P35-DS3L's before I bought the ram, and I found multiple people saying the ram works fine.

I am running th F6 bois on the DS3L. I didn't not want to flash my bios or try to clear my cmos as my computer is running fine the way I have it. I put my old ram back in and everything is running fine.

Do I need to update my bios to F8 to use this ram? Do I simply need to reset the cmos after I install the ram?

I did not try 1 stick at a time. I installed the ram in banks 1 & 3 and left 2 & 4 empty.

Thanks

That's because you edited your message and changed the link! LOL.

Anyway, just use your old RAM an go in to bIOS and set the RAM voltage to 2.0-2.1v. Set the speed and timings to spec while you are there. You BIOS defaults to 1.8v. You have to set the voltage manually to get enough to power the RAM. Otherwise, run memtst and check for a bad DIMM.

I clicked on your patriot link and that memory is 2.2v. Go ahead and set the voltage to the Corsair at 2.0-2.1v and see if the system will run. If not, I would run memtest and check for a bad DIMM.

hc5831

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply. I have edited my message for spelling and clarity, but have not changed one link.

As for the setting, if my bios is already set at 1.9 and the ram's specs state that it works at 1.9, I don't understand why it wouldn't post.

I have the v set manually to 1.9v. I can't run memtest if my comp won't post.

Yeah, I clicked on the Patriot link. That RAM is 2.2v. Just bump up the RAM voltage a notch. Try 2.0v and then 2.1v to get it powered up. Try each DIMM seperately if you have to to get the system to boot up. Your MB BIOS defaults to 1.8v with PC6400. Set the timings and speed manually too. Run memtest if the system will not boot the Corsair with 2.1v. and the proper spec set up. Set the timings to 5-5-5-15 manually and the speed to 800Mhz.

hc5831

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
I'm not a computer expert, but I'm not lost either.

I realize that Patriot says it runs at 2.2v. However that is for running the ram at 4-4-4-12. I have it running at 5-5-5-18 for stability with my OC and being able to run the ram at 1.9v for extended life. I keep my computers for many years passing them down and don't max them out for a couple % increase in speed.

I thoroughly researched the ram many people are running the patriot ram at 1.8-1.9v with slower timings just like my setup. I guarantee that I have the patriot ram running at 1.9v flawlessly with 5-5-5-18 timings. I am typing this right now on my computer with those settings.

I am a little confused on running memtest if the comp won't post. I have a CD that I boot off of, but I am assuming that it won't boot into memtest if the comp doesn't post. When I had the cosair in, I had no video signal.

Also I understand my mb defaults to 1.8v. I am thinking it should at least post when it is designed for 1.9v.

I have 4 gig of Patriot Extreme 2-3-2-5(4x1) DDR. It will not boot at anything less than 2.3 volts with all 4 sticks. 1 stick or 2 sticks will boot fine at 1.9, as soon as you add a 3rd or 4th stick, you have to jump all the way to 2.3 or no-go.

I have that Corsair Ram and that motherboard.
I had to remove the battery for 30 seconds, put in the old memory, boot up,
shutdown. Then I put in the new memory, allowed ample time for boot up.
It worked for me.

sifton

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

Hello. I have the same motherboard. When I built the system last Febuary I bought 2gb of Corsair 4-4-4-12. It,s run great all year. Last month I bought another 2gb of Corsair, but didn't notice the timings when I ordered. What I got was 5-5-5-18. When I installed them the system ran fine. All was good till I checked my mobo manual and realised my RAM was badly installed and I wasn,t taking rolling in Dual Channel. So I put them in the right order and then pow, system didn't boot. Tried the 5-5-5-18 alone, no boot. Thought my mobo was dead and out of desperation put back my original RAM and the sys finally booted.

I'm going to try the voltage trick, rising it a bit at a time.