350W PSU support this system?

steffi

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
My problem:
Newly built computer. Just installed XP. Basically the computer crashes fairly frequently and rarely stays on more than 30 minutes. It seems to crash at random times and it seems to crash when accidentally kicking the box (Nothing is loose, this has been checked 30 times). It also seems to crash (almost without fail) when plugging something into the back of the unit (such as speaker cable, network cable, etc). When it "crashes" the screen displays "no video input" (or whatever the message is) and the mouse and keyboard stop working. The fan and box seem to remain "on" and then within a moment it tends to reboot.

My build:
CPU: AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core 2,1 GHz
Board: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H
Video: ASUS EN8600GT Silent 512 MB DDR3
RAM: Kingston ValueR. DDR2 PC6400 2048MB CL5, Unbuffered, 1.8V, 256Meg x 64, 240pin
DVD: Sony NEC Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7200S, 20x, SATA
HD: Samsung Spinpoint 3.5" F1 HD502IJ 500GB SATA
PSU: Power Man 350W Output (came in the case I purchased)
+3.3V = 28A
+5V = 30A
+12V = 18A
-5V = 0.3A
-12V = 0.8A
+5Vsb = 2A

My tests:
Tried with old (160 gb) and new (500 gb) harddisks. No difference.
Tested with on-board and ASUS EN8600GT video card. "Crash" seemed to occur more often with the new card.

My suspicion:
I'm convinced it is hardware, and suspect it could be the power supply. The board suggests having a 400W supply and the CPU apparently uses 95W. However I've read that it's not the watts that is important, but the amps on the 12V.

My Questions:
Does it seem like this could be the problem?
If so, how many amps should I look to get at 12V? Or how many total watts, if that really is important? (note, I'd like to run up to 3 or 4 harddisks at some point in the future.. or at least be able to)
Is there some other test(s) that I could do to better diagnose my problem?
Is there anything else that this seems as though it could be?

Thanks for any help or advice regarding this issue!

xxjudgmentxx

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006

honestly, im surprised it even turns on at all. my "old" PSU (a thermaltake toughpower 750) had 4 12V rails (your crap PSU has 1) and each rail had an 18A limit (max 60A). my new PSU has a single 12V rail, rated at 80A. you'd probably be fine just doubling the amperage limit on your PSU to be safe so something with dual 12V@18A or something witha a 40A+ 12V rail.

That PSU that came with your case is most likely a piece of garbage, unsuitable for use even as a paperweight. While your system is not particularly demanding, getting a better PSU of at least 400W should be your first course of action. Those shutdowns could be accompanied by all kinds of electrical noise, potentially very damaging to your other components.
You don't need to spend a lot of money since you don't need a big PSU for that rig. An Antec Earthwatts 500 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007 ) is only $55 now.

Edit: fixed link

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Yeah, get that junk out of your PC before it blows up, and no I'm not exaggerating. Good deal on that EA-500. Antec changed the OEM from Seasonic to Delta with the EA-500D models. I don't know why or what changes they made. Probably related to profit, but who knows. I haven't seen any in-depth reviews of the EA-500D, but I believe Delta has a good name.

zenmaster's linked EA380 power supply can provide 324watts of that important +12voltage.
17-371-005-04.jpg

Your 350W PSU says 18amps or 216watts of +12volts - thats a BIG difference.
And budget PSUs can't always deliver its full rated power like most of the top rated PSUs can.

You're right to be suspicious of the PSU.

The 430watt model of the Antec Earthwatts PSU ($29 after rebate) can provide 360watts of +12volts.
17-371-006-04.jpg

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Actually someone told me about the EA-500D here a few months ago, sorry I can't remember who. And they graciously linked me to this thread.

EA-500 vs. EA-500D - jonnyGURU Forums

Have you seen an in-depth review of the EA-500D? If so, do you have a link?

I've not seen a review, and for now I can't follow that link. Jonnyguru.com is blocked by WebNonsense at work (hardocp is not). I will read it when I get home though, thanks for posting it.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
NewEgg will generally honor a rebate if a vendor does not.
Also Antec is a reputable company, so I would not worry.
The hard part will be actually doing the stuff on your end.
(I forget 1/2 the time.)

Thanks for the EA500D link.
While I'm sure they are still decent PSUs, I would love to see new reviews of the Delta Models.

I did spend some time searching, but didn't find a review on the Delta models of Earthwatts. I read a bunch of other PSU reviews on HardOCP and another site though.
I don't understand how so much fraud has escaped the attention of various Attorneys General though.

steffi

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Thanks for all of the help and info! This place seriously has an amazing wealth of knowledge. I'm certainly glad I found it.

What I did was replace the cheap power supply unit with this:
Cooler Master Real Power 620w Modular. The Antec Earthwatts 500 that was recommended certainly would have been fine, however I'm located in Sweden...so certain things are less easy to find. Although I did manage to find a good supply store ... but that was two days after I purchased the Cool Master 620w.

Anyhow, my system is up and running with (seemingly) no problems. Modular PSU's are new to me and it seems like a great concept...but somehow it seems that the inside of my case has just as many wires running all over the place as it did when I had a non-modular psu.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!

dewatandas

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
my 9600GT need at least 400w PSU with a rating of 26Amp (12V) current. well now im using cooler master extreme 460watt, the problem is what it is written beside the psu, there 2 types of 12V rating. 18Amp and another 18Amps. what does that mean? is't enough for my 9600GT? i'm using AMD phenom 8450, 1 dvd rom, 1 Sata, and Asus mobo. that's all. my cooling system using different psu :) :pt1cable: