Small-size cooler?

tweakbz

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Hey folks.

First up, my limitations: My case is a Thermaltake V9 Black Edition, and due to the side fan, there is not much headroom for a tower heatsink. Second, I have a Zalman CNPS9700 on my i7 atm. I want to overclock, and have had decent success with it so far (3.35ghz), but temps. were pretty far above what I was expecting, so I dialed it back until I found a good heatsink!

SO. What do you all recommend? I'd really like to get the CM V8 or V10(if it fits), or the Noctua NH-U12P (either 120mm or 92mm). I'm not sure if any of these will fit into the case I have? Does anyone have any experience with it? If so, please share with me.

As far as the mentioned heatsinks go, is there much of a CFM difference (or xxxW?) between the 120mm and 92mm Noctua? Could I reasonably expect to NOT see load temps of 55C (average.. under Prime95 at that) with a Noctua, or any other newer aftermarket cooler, like I do with the Zalman?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

ghoulsrulefools

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Take off the side fan, it wont help as much with cooling as a good cooler. Also, there is a big difference between 120mm fans and 92 mm fans. Even if the 92mm pushes almost as much air it is going to be much louder. A better cooler might help lower your temperatures but it depends on other factors like case airflow and ambient temp.

tweakbz

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Thanks Johnny. That website is pretty damned good.

After a bit of thought, and being bored, I rewired my case and took some measurements.

A CM V8 at 161.1mm (Appx. 6.34in) will fit, but the side panel will not close with the 230mm fan. Here's the happy part..

There are (round) holes for a 120mm fan to be mounted dead-center of where the 230mm currently is. I don't know how many people may or may not have missed it, but finding it made me happy :)

A Noctua fan + the V8 would be perfect together. I hear those Noctua's are amazing.

My search seems to be over. Thanks for the input Johnny, ghouls.