blue screen with 2 RAM installed but not single

ratch$t

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I bought a custom built PC just over a year ago. Knowing my luck, it started playing up just outside the 1 yr onsite warranty. Up until now I have not had a single problem with the computer but now I am absolutely stumped. I do not OC (mostly because I am too lazy/scared to) and have looked for similar posts but found nothing that seems to explain what is wrong.

I have a Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus motherboard
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1567&l1=3&l2=11&l3=495&l4=0

and 4GB (2 * 2GB) DDR2 800MHz Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184&Tpk=TWIN2X4096-6400C5

Initially Vista 64 Ultimate failed to boot due to a corrupted system volume. Believing the problem was with the hard drive, I replaced the harddrive with a 1TB Seagate Barracuda. When trying to install Vista again on the new HD I got blue screens as soon as the image loaded. As soon as I removed 1 stick the install went smoothly. I then upgraded to SP1 and updated my BIOS. Then when I put the 2nd RAM stick back in, every single time it boots the bios then comes up with the windows loading screen for 3 secs then goes to a blue screen mentioning hardware issues. As soon as I go back to 1 stick (either of them) in any of the 4 slots it boots and works perfectly again.

I suspect that it is my motherboard that is playing up as Vista boots and runs perfectly with just one stick of RAM in any of the 4 slots but as soon as I

Reading other forum posts, I have already tried (with no successful Vista boots):
- Running memchecker+ on both sticks indiviually and together (in different slots) with not a single error
- Tried installing the 2 sticks on the two SLI RAM channels and the 2 non SLI channels
- Manually set the RAM voltage to 1.9V, 2V and 2.1V with CAS of 5-5-5-18

Is there anything else I should do or try? I really dont want to have to send my motherboard or RAM off as RMA unless I absolutely have to and know which is the culprit.

Does it sound like the RAM or the motherboard?

Could it lack of power? (I have a 700W OCZ Game X Stream)

Any help would be much appreciated.

ratch$t

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Thanks for the quick response. I had previously ruled this out as I was not getting the IRQL blue screen that it mentions.

Any other suggestions or things to try?

Zenthar

Distinguished
Have you tried to run some Linux LiveCD just to see if the problem is Vista Only?

Have you tried the MS patch? Worst case scenario: it does nothing ...

ratch$t

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Good point, it can't hurt. I will try it tonight when I get home and let you know how it goes. Do I have to do a reinstall as the link states?

Failing that I will try the Linux LiveCD. Google shows quite a few versions and I have never used linux before, any suggestions on which version to use (preferably a easy to use free one if they exist)?

Zenthar

Distinguished
You shouldn't have to reinstall if the installation completed unless the bug manifested itself by corrupting the installation, but these errors are normally caught by the installer.

As for LiveCDs, I suggest Ubuntu as it is one of the most user-friendly distribution. You just have to download the ISO image, burn it on a CD/DVD (with tool supporting images) and boot from it.