would a sound card give me better performance with my cpu

I have a intel x925 motherboard and pentium 4 3.0ghz, 1.5gb ram, nvidia 8600gt 256, and 350w psu would a sound card give me performance boost in new games? also I'm going to be upgrading my pentium 4 to a 3.4ghz or 3.6ghz since that's the only thing my motherboard supports.
10 answers Last reply
More about would sound card give performance
  1. Have you tried overclocking? Check out setFSB if your BIOS hasn't got options, it may work. And I wouldn't bother upgrading my P4, not worth the slight increase and I bet those chips are becoming quite rare and expensive by now...
  2. I forgot to mention it was a dell x925 motherboard so I can't overclock
  3. I think you'd get more useful results if you can manage some more substantial upgrades. Post a budget. Even a low-end AMD system will blow a P4 away.
    +1 to mi1ez. Money spent on a higher-clocked P4 is money sent right down the crapper.
    Do you have PCIE or AGP on that system? If PCIE, going to a 4670 GPU is a six-tier jump on Cleeve's chart, would run on that PSU, and would only set you back about $80.
  4. If I were in your position, wanting more performance from that system, I would look at upgrading the video card first. A sound card will give you maybe 3 to 5% increase in performance.

That 8600gt is not a very good card for gaming. Do you have a budget for an upgrade ? It is easier to suggest a new video card if we have an idea on how much you are willing to spend.
  5. +1 on the vid card upgrade.
  6. ati 4670 that sounds like a good deal only $80, if it will work with my psu.
    i got $100 worth for upgrades. may be a 4670 and a 2gb of memory instead of 1.5gb
    would a dual channel make a difference since i got 3 slots taken in dual interlaced mode and its one 512mb and 2x 256mb what if i get 1gb stick would intel flex memory mode work ok?
  7. sorry i got 1gb in my computer instead of 1.5
  8. A 4670 will work with your PSU. It doesn't require an auxilliary PCIE power connector.
    A pair of 1GB RAM sticks would probably give you a noticeable boost in a variety of applications and games.
    These two upgrades will probably slightly exceed your $100 budget, but would both be worthwhile.
  9. Like jtt said, do you have PCIe on your mobo ? If so the 4670 is a huge upgrade from what you have right now.

And also go for 2gb of ram .... this will also give you a better boost in performance than a sound card. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211165
  10. thanks all you've been very helpful. I'll be buying 4670 and 2gb of ram instead.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Sound Cards Motherboards Pentium