Onboard Ethernet Card disapperars after hibernate mode.

GlutusMaximus86

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2004
Alright so the problem is a little strange, but I'll do the best I can to describe it. A couple months ago I turned my computer (desktop) on from hibernate mode in Vista (the sleep mode on my computer stopped working a while back, I tried to repair it, but finally found a way where I could use hibernate instead) and I noticed one of the plugs for my on board network card no longer showed up on my hardware list in device manager. I didn't think about it much as my motherboard had 2 inputs for Ethernet and I only needed one anyway. Well next time my computer come's out of hibernate my computer could no longer see the 2nd input either. I tried finding an answer, but couldn't find any. I was on a tight schedule at the time so I just went out and bought one of those USB -> Ethernet adapters, and that has worked fine for now. However about a week after my on board Ethernet card gave out I did some dusting, so I turned off the computer along with it's power supply. When I turned it back on both my inputs for the on board Ethernet card were seen again. However next time I went into hibernate, they both disappeared from device manager once again. Now every time I turn my computer off along with its PSU my Ethernet card will be back on, but as soon as I go into hibernate mode they disappear again, and they will only come back on if I shut off both the computer and its PSU. Is there any way to fix this? It's not a huge deal at this point obviously, but it would be nice to figure out what was causing this.

I doubt it matters but my motherboard is an abit IN9 32X-MAX and the onboard network card is Nvidia nForce. Thanks in advance for your help.

I saw something similar to this on some old Abit NF4 boards. I don't remember exactly, but I think I found a setting somewhere to cause the device to not go into a power saving mode. I don't remember if it was in the BIOS or in the Properties for it in Device Manager, or in the Power settings in Control Panel. Those are the places to look though.
My current Abit IP35 Pro has not had this problem.