Sign in with
Your question

BIOS doesn't recognize my CPU and the CPU is over heating! :/

Last response: in Systems
August 21, 2008 9:06:01 PM

I just finished assembling my new home computer (specs listed below) and when I boot up it tell me that the bios does not recognize my CPU and that I need an bios update. I also get a high cpu temp warning.

The bios hardware monitor tells me that my CPU is at 97 degrees celsius ( around 200F ), and this is just at idle state. The fan is at around 1970-2000 RPM.
I didn't want to take any chances so I shut it down.

Im using the standard box cpu fan from Intel. I've tried to take it off and put it on again to make sure it was on properly. Also I'm using the white cooling paste on the bottom of the cpu cooler. 1 drop as the manual tells me.

Anyways, My specs are below. Hope someone can help me with the 2 problems. I really need to get them figured out before I start studying. (2.sep)

Thx in advance.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad (Yorkfield) Model Q9400 (2.66GHz) Quad Core, EM64T, 1333FSB, 6MB Cache (LGA775)

GFX: Force3DRadeon HD 4870, 512MB GDDR5, DVIx2, HDTV, PCI-Express
Motherboard: Asus, P5E3/Deluxe, Intel X38, Dual GLAN, 8 Channel Surround Audio, SATAII RAID, eSATA, Firewire, Dual PCI-Express VGA, Dual DDR3-1066 / DDR3-1333, LGA775

RAM: Corsair, Twin3X 2x2048MB DDR3, PC12800 DDR1600, CAS 7-7-7-20, TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX G

Harddrive: Western Digital, Raptor 74 GB - Seriel ATA - SATA150 NCQ - 10000RPM/16MB

Power supply: Corsair, CMPSU-650TXEU, 650 Watt, 120mm Fan, Power Effecient, Sleeve Cables, 19 - 35 db, Temp. Auto Control

Standard Intel boxed CPU fan.
August 22, 2008 4:20:08 AM

oh wait nevermind
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2008 7:15:12 AM

It's quite possible that you need to go to the ASUS site and download the most recent update for the BIOS.
Related resources
August 22, 2008 12:08:08 PM

I've updated the bios and bought a quality cpu cooler ( http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products... ), and I've followed the assembly manual every step. I'm confident that the cpu cooler is properly attached.

Non of this has helped, CPU temp in bios hardware monitopr still shows as 97celcius :( 

I really don't know what else to do.... What can the problem be?
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2008 12:45:29 PM

Could just be a bad sensor. Your BIOS reports a temp in the center of the CPU which is not actually very useful normally. The individual cores also have sensors... but I do not know of a way to monitor these without loading the OS.

Did you clean up the CPU and install new thermal paste when you switched coolers? Did you verify that there was no foreign material under the CPU?

Are the motherboard standouts only making contact with the motherboard at the spots where there are screw holes in the case?

Does your BIOS report what the CPU voltage is set at?

If you are very confident there are no errors in your build, the next step might be to find someone else locally to test the CPU on their board.
August 22, 2008 1:12:28 PM

Thx alot Prox for the pointers. I'm very confident there are no errors in my build. I've cleaned both CPU and heatsink thourougly every time I've changed it. It is mounted correct and tightly secured, and I've followed the manual by doctrine.

I know one of my friends have the exact same CPU as myself, so I might pursuade him to let me test it ;) 

If not, then I'm not sure what to do.

But thx alot for the replies, I truelly appreciate it.
August 22, 2008 1:23:37 PM

Ok, I'm embarrased now .... :pfff:  :pfff:  :pfff: 
For some reason I downloaded the 1202 BIOS update instead of the newest version 1303....
And now the 2 messages are gone and temp in bios shows a steady 38 degrees celsius.

I'm sorry to have wasted your time on this one, I feel as stupid as I'm happy right now, heh.

Anyways, thx for the help prox, appreciated.
a b à CPUs
August 22, 2008 2:04:39 PM

No big deal, blame ASUS. When I checked originally on your board there were 0 downloads.
!