Computer not detecting new ati card

charliehustle

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
hi everyone i had actually just bought a new radeon x1650pro iceq 256mb video card for my computer just a few days ago, and i realized that my mobo is a MSI RS480M-IL which actually has an onboard video card in it already, so i tried to disable it in the device manager and then shut down the computer and install the new video card and the only thing that happens when i turn the computer back on is, it just powers up but doesnt actually start, and as i can see the video card itself isnt actually on either and then of course once i take the video card out the computer starts up again fine, so im wondering am i doing something wrong or is my video card messed up

Reset your BIOS. Boot up and enter the BIOS screen. Give the priority to the AGP video and disable your onboard video. Put your card back in and see if that works. Make sure you plug in the power connector on the back of your video card properly. If that doesn't work then either your power supply is too weak to boot the machine with the card, altho in that event you should get some beep codes, or the card is a dud.

charliehustle

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
hmm im not exactly sure what option it is to disable it in bios, but regardless if i put the card in the slot right and hook it up to the power supply correctly it should turn on? because it wont regardless but i know the card works because ive just tried it in another computer but i believe that was an agp slot and not a pci x16, but im not too smart with computers in that area