Sign in with
Your question

Help quad core Q6700

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2008 8:15:34 PM

Hi eveyone Iam new to posting on this site but have been reading for awhile. Iam having an issue with a CPU. First off the problem. My PC will not turn on while the CPU is attatched to the Motherboard it turns on for a second then turns off. If i take it off it turns on fine. SO i figure i Fried the CPU somehow but then i was told I would of fried my motherboard before the CPU. Just want another persons opinion on my situation. I'll give some specs

Intel Quad Core Q6700 2.66Ghz
ASUS P5k Wifi Deluxe Motherboard
700w Powersupply
4gs of ddr2 1066 ram
PNY 8800GTX 756mb
Creative Labs Fatality x-fi soundcard

No Need For All Caps!

More about : quad core q6700

November 7, 2008 8:34:54 PM

do you have BOTH the 20/24 pin power connector AND the 4/8 pin power connector hooked up to your mobo?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2008 8:38:58 PM

yes both....... if the CPU is in it all turns on for a Split seconds all the fans spin starts to live then dies. no CPU no problem but no CPU is a big problem
Related resources
November 7, 2008 8:48:57 PM

Try taking out all but 1 stick of ram and then try starting it.
What is your rams default voltage? That could be causing the problem too.
November 7, 2008 8:51:11 PM

Hmm, I agree with the theories posted above. BUT, is your heatsink set on properly? Maybe it's overheating thus causing it to shutdown.
a c 315 à CPUs
a c 242 V Motherboard
November 7, 2008 8:52:31 PM

Quote:
yes both....... if the CPU is in it all turns on for a Split seconds all the fans spin starts to live then dies. no CPU no problem but no CPU is a big problem

No CPU? Definitely a problem.

Start over, with the motherboard out of the case.
Put it on a neutral surface, like some cardboard.
Attach only the minimum parts needed to boot to bios.
CPU and cooler
1 stick of ram in the first slot,
vga card and monitor,
psu
no hard drive or sound card or dvd drive.
See how you do then.
Assuming that it works run memtest and add parts one by one.
When it all works put it back in the case. (you DID use the little hex shaped standoffs to mount the mobo I hope?)
November 7, 2008 9:03:03 PM

You might need a bios update to use the q6700. check the CPU support list and if the q6700 needs a bios other then the first one it is very possible.

You will need another compatible CPU to flash the bios with.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2008 9:20:42 PM

the cpu was on the mobo for about a year before the issue happened i havent Oc'd anything the motherboard is on the proper standoffs( not the first pc i have built) I will post more detailed specs after I try what you have suggested. Thanks in advance for all the help I will take it out of the case and start doing some tests
November 7, 2008 10:11:22 PM

The title of this topic has been edited by Jake_Barnes
!