$139 4850 with aftermarket cooler

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
from what i've seen, palit is a very good brand. and i think their box art is hilarious. robot frogs are cool :p. and honestly, you don't need a blu-ray drive. wait a few more months for the prices to fall some more. plus, a 4850 would greatly improve the quality of HD video if you do get a blu-ray drive later on. as for rock band 2, well that's more of a personal choice.

Buy it, Buy it now!

:D

Well it depends on what you want. The cheapest Blu-Ray Drives are $100. I'd say wait for Blu-Ray burners to come down to that price. Personally I won't spend that much on an optical drive anymore unless it's a Plextor. I remember when I bought my first CD-Burner and DVD drive as well as how fast they came down in price afterwards.

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

True, but look how expensive the stand-alone players and the PS3 are. For $100 it's quite a steal. It's a hard choice, because my 3850 is doing fine at 720p, but at the same time, like you said, prices could dramatically drop on Blu-ray readers.

Either way, this is a great deal for anyone else looking for an awesome video card at an awesome price.

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah, but you're still paying for shipping. The ASUS card has free shipping, and a free game. I'd personally go with the ASUS if I were getting a 4850.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i wonder

how come no one on these forums takes shipping into account? i mean for video cards, its usually free, or like $10.00... so this card is about $150, the second highest card is the asus one which is for $151.. thats including shipping too.. of course im overlooking the aftermarket heatsink, but you get my point.. hey we don't even know how that heatsink performs

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
You are right, the Asus card is not much more ($1) difference, but when you take into account the aftermarket cooler, it's probably the better deal. That and Alone in the Dark is not a game. It's a horrible piece of excrement. It's what kids get in their stockings when they are bad.

4745454b

Titan
First, I always take shipping into account. I also usually take the rebate into account, and always mention how large it is. That way when I quote a price, people know how much it will really cost.

Second, I'd rather pay an extra dollar and get an extra game then pay the same price and get an extra nothing. At least I could play it and see if I like it, or I could sell it to some poor unsuspecting sap and make the price of the card even cheaper.

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

Exactly rangers. An aftermarket cooler is better than Alone in the Dark any day of the week. If it was something like The Witcher or one of those other games that usually get pushed with GPUs, it'd be a much better deal.

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

That's actually not a bad deal either, although I've heard that Sapphire rebates are terrible and that their rebate department has gotten an F from the BBB.

When I quote a price, I always quote it with shipping and I also quote the MIR, so the person can see what they are exactly getting. I always look for good deals and sometimes the MIR's are hard to pass up. You just have to understand that you need to follow the rebate "EXACTLY" as the way they state it. If you don't follow the instructions to a tee, than you won't probably get your rebate. I haven't had any issues with any rebates to date.

Depends, but most of mine have been around 4-8 weeks, so don't expect to get the rebate back in 2 weeks. If $ is tight than you might have to select a part by the intial cost and not the final cost. It all depends on whether you can afford to wait for the MIR or not.

I got that Sapphire!

I can tell you it is indeed a second rev/design of the HD4850. A friend has the first version of it.

That one is actually smaller than the previous one (both Sapphire's). Runs cooler and looks better with that big HSF.

Both look very nice and perform very nice (Palit and Sapphire). It's quiet as a couffin (coffin?) and on load is still very cool and quiet!

A great buy IMO. Either of those.

Esop!

EDIT: I'd add, for reference, that is shorter than my X1800XL BBA and quieter, lol.