Bug issues on Foxconn G31MG-S

Madsharpei

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
I setup this motherboard 3 days ago. Found some weird issues need some input who have a foxconn G31MG-S

Using the latest BIOS 817F1P02.

Problem 1 memory is displayed wrong or not?

Installed 1 stick of 1gb on DIMM1 slot.
BIOS is 1024MB
Window XP System Information is 1,024.00MB
DirectX Diagnostic Tool is 1014MB
Intel Graphic Media Accelerator Driver Report is 1013MB
Windows XP System properties is 0.99GB
Memtest86+ v2.10 is 1013MB

Problem 2 BIOS Setting Bug.

In the Advanced Chipset Features Menu.Submenu **PCI Express Relative items**.When PCI Express x1 Port is Disabled the PC will reboot in a loop series.Auto/Enable/F7- optimized defaults will not fix the reboot loop.To fix this is to go to the Main Menu and select Load Optimized Defaults.Is this a bug because i want the PCI-E disabled?

Foxconn Technical Support replies,

Thank you for supporting Foxconn products.
with regard to this issue, we wonder why you want the option disabled, please?
have you changed something else in the bios setup interface or have you installed any pcie devices, please?
for we donot have this board at hand for the moment, we could not be able to have a test; when the board is available, we will have a quick test and update it to you. thank you.
Best regards,
Foxconn Technical Support

I would just leave the default setting for video alone. It will automatically use the onboard pci-e unless you install a separate video card. I tried using pci-e as the first choice; also had a minor problem so I set it back to pci, the standard default setting.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
No need to have the PCIe x1 disabled. The bandwidth is reserved by the chipset, and turning it off won't give you any benefit.

I wouldn't worry about your memory. It is in fact correct, as long as your BIOS is reading 1024. OS and other stuff, they tend to not read correctly, because your computer uses some memory area to store information, prior to the OS.