ChrisMohrSr

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I would like someone on the forum to help me with two problems.

At the present time I am using a Dell Vostro 200 computer with the Windows XP Professional version.

Problem One: In the past I would sometimes solve a problem with the computer by going into Safe Mode and then doing a System Restore. The other day while using an Aspire AST135 computer it became unresponsive so I decided to go to Safe Mode and do a System Restore. I got as far as choosing the system to restore (there was only Windows XP), but when I hit Enter the screen became a light dark and nothing would function. I say "light dark" because when the system is running properly the black screen is a deeper black than when the system completely gives up, as it does in this case. This has happened to me before on the computer I am now using to write this. I had to call in a technician to get the system back.

My question is: Why does this happen? What could cause the system to completely die when I try to go into Safe Mode? When it happened on this Dell Vostro 200 computer I thought it was probably a glitch in the machine, but now it has happened to the Acer computer. And I do not relish the thought of spending a hundred or more dollars to have it rectified. Is there anything I can do to fix the problem myself?

Problem Two: I am now using this Dell computer, but the image will not adjust to my widescreen monitor. It displays a standard 3 to 4 image stretched out to fit the wide screen. How can I correct this?

I am greatly indebted to anyone who can help me solve my problems.

Christopher R. Mohr Sr.

Problem 1: Never had that one.
Problem 2: Cursor on desktop, right-click, select properties. Go to the Settings tab, in the Screen Resolution slider box, slide the indicator until you reach your monitor's resolution. Press Apply button. Press the OK button.

ChrisMohrSr

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

You would think that would work . . . it doesn't.

I have tried just about everything, nothing works.

Strange thing is, at the present time I am using a Dell Vostro 200 computer with the Windows XP Professional version.

In the past I would sometimes solve a problem with the computer by going into Safe Mode and then doing a System Restore. The other day while using an Aspire AST135 computer it became unresponsive so I decided to go to Safe Mode and do a System Restore. I got as far as choosing the system to restore (there was only Windows XP), but when I hit Enter the screen became a light dark and nothing would function. I say "light dark" because when the system is running properly the black screen is a deeper black than when the system completely gives up, as it does in this case. This has happened to me before on the computer I am now using to write this. I had to call in a technician to get the system back. I got the system back, but now I have this display distortion, which I think must have been caused by something the technician did.

Why does this happen? What could cause the system to completely die when I try to go into Safe Mode? When it happened on this Dell Vostro 200 computer I thought it was probably a glitch in the machine, but now it has happened to the Acer computer. And I do not relish the thought of spending a hundred or more dollars to have it rectified. Is there anything I can do to fix that problem myself?