Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nvidia GTX 260+/Core 216/ whatever the name is, arrives!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 16, 2008 9:57:21 PM

the price increase doesn't justify the minimal fps increase. not worth it IMO.

maxcore seems nice though.. is it an OC version? how much? i think this is a real nasty competitor to the 4870, amd/ati better whip out those pre OC'd 4870's...
September 16, 2008 9:58:40 PM

Nice, seems like they are doing what they need to do. Gotta love competition, brings out the best in a company, and saves me money :) 
Related resources
September 16, 2008 9:59:09 PM

I finished reading all three benchies, and it seems that the 260+/Core 216 performed faster than the 4870 WITH AA at High resolutions. (in the majority of cases)

Yes, the benches were using CAT 8.7/8.8

but OMG THEY WEREN"T USING THE LATEST AND GREATEST NVIDIA DRIVER! In fact, one was using the ancient .83 drivers. Guess that means we expect 20 billion frames to pop out of nowhere if we use the updated .98 drivers! [/fanboy]

Yeah, the maxcore is OCed.

Did you read the benches though? Its a bit more than a "few" frames.
September 16, 2008 10:03:57 PM

yeah sorry, the OCX destroy's the 4870, but how much is it? and i dunno about the 216... doesn't seem that special for the price point
September 16, 2008 10:04:02 PM

It should perform better than the 4870.....that was the whole point of this card. If it didnt/dosent then Nvidia has lost all hope of remaining a competitor this round. If you already own a 4870, or a GTX 260 then this is a pointless buy. And thats the problem, too many people already own 4850s, 4870s, and first gen GTX 260's as well as 280s.....oh yea and 9800GX2's which stomp all the above.
September 16, 2008 10:08:12 PM

Hmm, good thing when I bought my 260 (last night) I bought eVGA, so now I will be able to STEP-IT-UP baby! Now I just have to wait near the full 90 days...
September 16, 2008 10:09:40 PM

no i don't know about that, actually, im still waiting to buy a card... this should lower prices now =D I WIN!

that ocx looks good though that would be the good buy.. they should price that around 310, where the 1gb 4870 sits
and the 216 is the nvidia's 4870, even a little better in some benchies... they trade blows evenly
September 16, 2008 10:55:44 PM

you could just OC the card and save some money:)  Unless frame increase is noticeable I doubt its necessary.

But if you want to play it safe or if your not into OCing then its your best bet. The MAXOC 260 GTX did impress me, but I read that they used high end paste and cooling techniques not found in stock...but I might be wrong.
September 16, 2008 11:31:56 PM

i dont get it the 260+/Core 216 is not going to be faster than the gtx280 and the 4870 sits between the 260 and the 280, so that puts it in the same position. but have to agree with eklipz ati better pull out the overclocked cards
September 16, 2008 11:32:51 PM

I'm really confused by this whole "crushes the 4870" stuff. Aside from that not being what the benchmarks showed at all, the 4870 frequently "crushes" the 280 GTX with heavy AA on (8AA or above). My opinion matches that of most people, the 216 shader version doesn't bring much to the table besides a higher price tag. I'd either spend a little more or a little less on something more appealing like a 280 or 4870 ($380!!/$240 respectively).
September 16, 2008 11:35:47 PM

LunaticWolf said:
Hmm, good thing when I bought my 260 (last night) I bought eVGA, so now I will be able to STEP-IT-UP baby! Now I just have to wait near the full 90 days...



know what that statement makes you LunaticWolf, drop the wolf and you'll be there
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2008 11:53:13 PM

This card wont oc as good as the G260. Just as the G280 doesnt oc as good as the G260. When adding what it has done in the @60216onemoretry, theyve added slowdowns as pertains to ocing. Wheres the 55nm? You mean were going to have to go thru all this again in another 6 weeks? Maybe by then theyll have figured a way to get 228 sps working on the "new" G260228FTWJUANMORETIMEOVERTHETOP edition!!!! Its easy to see why Annands decided to pick the 4870 over this card, because theres situations where the 4870 kills both the 260216cantwealljustgetalong edition and the G280, something this card will never do at stock, and remember, you can just as easily oc a G280 to keep ahead by 5%. It draws more power as well, and thats too bad, as the original drew less than the 4870. Certainly not enough of a difference to impress. And those thinking this is the card thatll move pricing, wrong, the 4850x2 is that card
September 16, 2008 11:57:42 PM

rangers said:
know what that statement makes you LunaticWolf, drop the wolf and you'll be there



okay honestly was that necessary? seriously?

What was soo bad about he said, he has the EVGA step up package, 3 months from now if Nvidia wants to release a quick revamp or GX2 it will be onto, and he'll only pay a small amount to have a brand spanking new card.

This obssession with you and ATI is going to lead into alot of misguided buys from the other people. The 4870 is a great card for the money we get it already, your suggesting it like theres no other option (oops I'm sorry you also suggest the 4850)

If ppl choose to stay with Nvidia it can have alot more logic then just "fan" attraction. How about an sli motherboard? Or maybe they like playing nvidia optimized games.


Also in all honesty I hear the word KILL when it comes to the 260 GTX to bow down to the 4870...yes the 4870 does win the majority, but seriously by generally how many fps to call it a kill.

You kno what a kill is? 1 280 GTX and a 9800 GTX+ yes....that would be a kill.

They are both priced around the same, and even though I would suggest the ATI over the nvidia, I wouldn't do so if the person just bout an Nvidia board, or doesn't plan on spending another 100$ on a board plus card.


Lets see total 4870 + mobo $150 (a decent 16x CF board) 270+150 =420$. With that money your better off getting the 280 GTX or actually saving the money for another 260 GTX.

I'm sorry this post is just venting about these fanguided posts, I'd ban them all together but thank god its not up to me. \

My lord grow up and read reviews!

P.S

look at Jaydee (Sorry to reference you but I like the way you post, you keep me up to date when I'm lazy, credit to dagger to for always having backup benchies) when he suggest a card, yes he kicks Nvidia down but he finds a reason and states it, not just attacking forum users and insulting their purchase.


September 17, 2008 12:27:54 AM

It dosent really matter as long as X piece of hardware runs your damn games well enough to play, seriously. And I agree with l1qu1d here, they trade blows in everything, there is no true winner when it comes to 2 and 3 and 4 FPS differences. However there is a such thing as a stupid buy and moreso a stupid product.

While the 4870 is a great card, and I personally own this, I would have gotten the 9800GX2 in a heartbeat instead if it was priced back then as it is now. I came from an 8800GT, a X1900 XTX before that, a 8600GTS (for 3 days lol) before that, a 7900GS before that, a 6600GS before that, a 9600XT before that, and a Nvidia GeForce 4 MX440 before that in my very first PC. I have no damn brand loyalty.
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2008 12:33:06 AM

I used the word kill cause its obvious, in GRID it kills, even the 4870x2 wins over the 800+$ solution of the G280 in SLI by large margins. That being said, heres the real deal. At the end of the day, after we see and hear all about this card it wont outdo the G260. It wont outdo the G260. Getit? Oc these 2 cards, bring them both to their best speeds/performance, and all youll have is one card not ocing higher enough to overtake the other "lessor" card to make one single difference. At stock, ok, itll win by 5% over the stock 260, but it all ends there. If this card came out and outdoes the G280 at 280$ by 20% in a few games, then itd KILL the G280 as well, but it doesnt. Just a few things to ponder here
September 17, 2008 2:37:55 AM

L1qu1d said:
okay honestly was that necessary? seriously?

What was soo bad about he said, he has the EVGA step up package, 3 months from now if Nvidia wants to release a quick revamp or GX2 it will be onto, and he'll only pay a small amount to have a brand spanking new card.

This obssession with you and ATI is going to lead into alot of misguided buys from the other people. The 4870 is a great card for the money we get it already, your suggesting it like theres no other option (oops I'm sorry you also suggest the 4850)

If ppl choose to stay with Nvidia it can have alot more logic then just "fan" attraction. How about an sli motherboard? Or maybe they like playing nvidia optimized games.


Also in all honesty I hear the word KILL when it comes to the 260 GTX to bow down to the 4870...yes the 4870 does win the majority, but seriously by generally how many fps to call it a kill.

You kno what a kill is? 1 280 GTX and a 9800 GTX+ yes....that would be a kill.

They are both priced around the same, and even though I would suggest the ATI over the nvidia, I wouldn't do so if the person just bout an Nvidia board, or doesn't plan on spending another 100$ on a board plus card.


Lets see total 4870 + mobo $150 (a decent 16x CF board) 270+150 =420$. With that money your better off getting the 280 GTX or actually saving the money for another 260 GTX.

I'm sorry this post is just venting about these fanguided posts, I'd ban them all together but thank god its not up to me. \

My lord grow up and read reviews!

P.S

look at Jaydee (Sorry to reference you but I like the way you post, you keep me up to date when I'm lazy, credit to dagger to for always having backup benchies) when he suggest a card, yes he kicks Nvidia down but he finds a reason and states it, not just attacking forum users and insulting their purchase.



well if you cant see he's basically saying, he's going from the 260 to the 260+/Core and if that not retarded i dont know what it
September 17, 2008 3:23:44 AM

so he wants to site it up? Does he have anything really to loose? pay a little extra have a 5% increase at stock clocks.

I don't really think he was talking about the 260 though, I think he was generally speaking from what I understood.

You need stop acting out of love for a company and start reading reviews.

And to answer you question, you kno what is retard? Loving a company by name and not by facts.

Your blindly flaming Nvidia for the revisions and calling em a usless company, one that held us with the only decent video card till now, from 2006.

No1 is saying don't insult Nvidia, but don't just close your eyes to both the faults the companies have done in the past or still are doing in the present.

They are both where they need to be right now in terms of performance.

Its the first time in long time where the cards are actually comparable almost at the same level.


either i'm done for now, I just get really mad when I try to get an answer out of some ppl (while others bust their brains and fingers to give me a decent answer) and all they type is Nvidia for life! or AMD for life or w.e for life.

That means nothing, and you should get it out of ur system.

P.S
That doesn't mean you can't like a company, incase take things too literal, it just means taking everything with a grain of salt, don't just look at hardware like a race horse only straight ahead, you have right,left up and down.

Anyways back on topic, I'm really interested to the "260+" handle Overclocking, could the extra SPs pose any type of bonus in the near future, or are we stuck at the 5% increase...?
September 17, 2008 3:46:07 AM

Personally I'd like to see someone do a review comparing the GTX260 Core216's to one of the overclocked 4870's that are currently available. Going by Newegg prices, the 4870's with the 800Mhz core clock are going for about the same price (slightly less) than the Core216's.
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2008 3:53:22 AM

If you look at the G280, theres a current oc wall of around 700 on the core, whereas the G260 (192) goes to 750 aprox. Im guessing well see the new 216 at 730 on the core. Having more sps slows thinsg down, becuase even the full chip (G280) doesnt oc as well.
September 17, 2008 3:55:11 AM

Wow, looks like things went really downhill since I left.

I will add that Anadtech to the first post :) 
!