Corruptted profile,Deleted profile new profile missing files?

ultace

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
On Xp, had a corrupted profile wouldn't let me log in. I created a new profile and went into properties of My Computer/Advance/User Profiles/ then tried to copy the files from the corrupted profile into the new one. now tho all the files not saved on the C drive itself are missing please help me!!!

ultace

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
also before this happen i had some bad sectors and i already did a system restore to bring everything back but now it seems the bad sectors are also back and I can't seem to do a dskchk or chkdsk anymore please can someone help me

Replace the drive. Bad sectors are a good sign of a failing hard drive.

What files did you try to copy over from the old profile? Is that profile now deleted? Are you sure you copied the right profile over?

Go to C:\Documents and Settings, do you see the other profile there? You should see My Documents folder, Favorites, those 2 are really the only ones you need to save generally. Just copy those 2 folders over to the new profile. But before you spend time doing that, get a new hard drive and install Windows on that, then copy the files from the old drive to the new user account on the new setup.