Sign in with
Your question

Which graphic card choose? Help me

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 16, 2008 9:59:11 PM

Hello :)  Here is the thing:

I am building new PC and I have problem with choosing graphic card. Here is configuration I planned:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Zalman ZM-STG1
cooler Scythe Ninja 2
ASUS P5Q
Patriot Extreme DDRII 4GB/800 (2 x 2GB) CL4
Samsung SpinPoint F1 500GB
DVD +/- RW Pioneer DVR-216D OEM
Sound Blaster X-Fi mX Xtreme Gamer
Corsair CMPSU-520HXEU 520W ATX PFC
NZXT Hush

Few weeks ago when I started researching reviews/forums I was thinking about GTX 280 for this. But I found out one serious problem with that card - noise.

I need graphic card which will be very good for gaming (1680x1050) but also moderately quiet in idle (i'm a writer and i need silence to focus).

55 db coming from GTX 280 scared me away and 4870 got my attention. I was thinking about reference Power Color 4870 (35 db in idle according to tomshardware review), but last week Gainward HD 4870 Golden Sample and Power Color 4870 ZeroTherm came out. I checked some reviews but people are saying that one of those Gainward's fans is quite noise, though they do not compare it to standard one. About ZeroTherm I can't find anything about.

Also I won't go in CF/SLI.
The graphic card won't be overclocked.

As you can see I am a bit lost :)  Could you help me choosing this bloody card/version of 4870? ;)  Thank you very much!

More about : graphic card choose

a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2008 10:08:06 PM

The 4870 is good, but I hear is still loud too. I think the powerful cards will be loud (need to run fans to cool them).

You probably don't need the sound card. Onboard sound is pretty good these days. If you don't like the onboard sound, just add a card later (but I don't think you will need it.

Many 4870s are just reference design (standard specs, standard cooler, etc), so the company isn't that big a deal - just get one with a good warranty and good price.
September 16, 2008 10:27:22 PM

Hello :)  Thank you for your reply.

Yes I know that reference cards are similar (cooler etc.) though these two I mentioned (Gainward Golden Sample and Power Color ZeroTherm) are nonreference so I was hoping they have put more silent fans on it - maybe anyone here have seen it and can compare to standard ones?

About sound card actually I need better one than onboard, when I put simple Audigy on my last mainboard I noticed HUUUUGE difference :)  I have quite good headphones and ears :) 
Related resources
September 16, 2008 11:19:23 PM

the 4870 should be fine. you wont hear it all that much. it'll get mostly drowned out by the other fans in your system. and if it still bothers you, you can always manually set the fan speed to a lower setting; but that will result in the card running hotter. take a look at palit's 4870's. they don't use the reference cooler, they opted for better designs, which should produce less noise.
September 17, 2008 10:26:01 AM

Thank you very much :)  I decided to get Asus 4870 (reference), with 36 months warranty.

Have a nice day!
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2008 12:11:54 PM

Good deal. Good luck and have fun with it.
September 17, 2008 8:52:19 PM

I'd say if your not going for crossfire or sli your best bet would be to wait for the 4850 X2 and get that, it will beat the 4870 and shoult be the better option.
September 17, 2008 9:02:55 PM

mikins said:
Thank you very much :)  I decided to get Asus 4870 (reference), with 36 months warranty.

Have a nice day!

Good choice, you can always install aftermarket cooling if the fan is too loud for your tastes. And as far as the sound card goes, I agree, ever since I installed mine I can honestly say I can hear a big difference.
!