Scythe Mugen 2

dbeaty2

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Hi, I just finished a new build with a P6T MB and I was thinking of OCing with the MUGEN 2 unit. This is my first OCing project and when I read it means pretty much dissasembling the whole MB, which I just finished installing to put on a new backpane, ect. I am not thinking maybe I should wait for the dust to settle.

Are there any good solutions that will not require MB removal.

I have 3 DIMM slots in use too, as I read sometimes these coolers take up one of the slots.

Thanks
DB

bullittbob

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I have a similar set up with a p6t and a mugen 2. Im using corsair dominator 3x2gb and the first stick of memory is slighly covered by the cooler but it fits and isnt any hotter than the other 2 sticks. I dont know about any other memory kits.

BTW I have my i7 920 @ 3.8ghz with the mugen 2, the stock cooler fan and modified i7 cooler fan, not even touching 70 degrees after hours of prime 95.

dbeaty2

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Here's a question, using the stock intel cooler on the i7 920, I average about 42C and I ran Prime for about an hour and it was averaging about 77C and peaked around 80C, I am set at 3.66Mhz and 1.2V. Can I just use this set up the way it is, or should I be concerned enough to back it off until I get a better cooler?

Dbeaty

bullittbob

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Thats too hot for my liking. Back it off and get a better cooler. It may not fail immediately but long term durability is a concern.

If you do get the mugen 2, mount the scythe fan on the side, cut the legs of the stock intel fan (not the two clips that hold the fan on the stock cooler) and plop it on top. Fits perfectly.