AutoCad / Photoshop - FireGL/Quadro

pingable

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
if I'm primarily running AutoCad / Photoshop/ Graphics apps (solidworks, etc) --- by default, should I look at a *workstation* grade video card -- firegl, quadro series ?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Don't get a workstation card. They too overpriced, usually by 5-10x as much for identical gpu cards. All they had is optimization for certainly old professional programs, like maya. A similar priced mainstream card will far outperform workstation despite lack of optimizations due to the overwhelming raw power in comparison. Recent autocad programs run just as well on mainstream graphics, and there is no difference in photoshop whatsoever.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
some gaming cards can be modded to do a better job at 3D work. i know there is a modded BIOS for the 2600-series ati cards that can improve performance in CAD and similar programs.

G

there is a huge difference in the nvidia workstation cards and the consumer cards. the new quadro cx will perform the same as a geforce 260 but when it has special encoders for photo and video editing and is optimized for photoshop cs4. also the quadro cx has more than 4 times rendering performance with 3d studio max than the high end consumer geforce 280. 3ds max shows the potential of its 3d rendering so if you are using autocad or photoshop definately go with the quadro cx card. dont listen to dagger he has no clue what he's talking about.