redberd

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I wondered if I could set up a RAID 10 using 4 500gb drives and 2 1tb drives. It would equal 2tb each of course but will it work with 4 and 2 drives?

goobaah

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
your RAID will result in a single 1.5 TB volume if your controller supports this. You are actually better off going with two raid volumes. One RAID 10 with the 4x500GB drives and a RAID 1 with the two 1TB drives. Then you will have 2 TB of space available.

redberd

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Thank you for your answers. I like the idea of using the two RAIDs though I don't understand how it would work. Would the 1 mirror the 10? Sorry for my ignorance.

goobaah

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
No, I dont know your motherboard/chipset so I cannot tell you exactly how to setup your system. You will have two RAID volumes that are independant of each other. You 500 gigs will all be in a RAID 10 volume that is seperate from the other two 1 TB drives in a RAID 1 volume. When you boot windows you will see two different drives, both 1 TB is size.

redberd

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Okay I understand. Thanks for clarifying. My mobo will not support 10, only 0,1,0+1, so I am going to be looking for a controller card. Then again I may be going about this all wrong. What I ultimately wanted was my 4 500gb drives to be in a 0 configuration with my 2 1tb as a mirror. According to the first response I can do that with a 10 if I am willing to forgo some drive space. Financially I am forced to work with what I have. Other than the drives I mentioned I have a 5th 500gb drive.

I could use the 4 500's in a RAID 0 and then use a backup or cloning program to make a copy on the 1tb drives. I was hoping to do something a little slicker than that though.

redberd

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P with an AM3 socket. The manual says it will support RAID 10 but their website does not. I emailed them and asked about it and never got a response. I asked a couple of other guys who have the same board and they don't use RAID so therefore had no answer for me. With all of the errors I have seen in manuals over the years I am thinking the web site is correct and the manual is wrong.

While you're technically correct, in terms of functionality, RAID 1+0 and RAID 0+1 are equivalent. There can be some performance considerations depending on the controller/software you're using, but for the purposes of the OP's questions the differences really aren't relevant since his controller doesn't give him a choice.

I agree and using RAID0 01 is very good, but if the OP had a choice, RAID 10 would be safer, particularly when using several hard disks. The performance difference between RAID 01 and RAID 10 should be minimal.