Rookie RAID 10 ?

I wondered if I could set up a RAID 10 using 4 500gb drives and 2 1tb drives. It would equal 2tb each of course but will it work with 4 and 2 drives?
16 answers Last reply
More about rookie raid
  1. It depends on the RAID controller. Some will let you mix drive sizes but only use the space equivalent to the smallest drive - for RAID 1+0 that would be 1.5TB of usable space: (6 x 500GB)/2 = 1.5TB.
  2. your RAID will result in a single 1.5 TB volume if your controller supports this. You are actually better off going with two raid volumes. One RAID 10 with the 4x500GB drives and a RAID 1 with the two 1TB drives. Then you will have 2 TB of space available.
  3. Thank you for your answers. I like the idea of using the two RAIDs though I don't understand how it would work. Would the 1 mirror the 10? Sorry for my ignorance.
  4. No, I dont know your motherboard/chipset so I cannot tell you exactly how to setup your system. You will have two RAID volumes that are independant of each other. You 500 gigs will all be in a RAID 10 volume that is seperate from the other two 1 TB drives in a RAID 1 volume. When you boot windows you will see two different drives, both 1 TB is size.
  5. Okay I understand. Thanks for clarifying. My mobo will not support 10, only 0,1,0+1, so I am going to be looking for a controller card. Then again I may be going about this all wrong. What I ultimately wanted was my 4 500gb drives to be in a 0 configuration with my 2 1tb as a mirror. According to the first response I can do that with a 10 if I am willing to forgo some drive space. Financially I am forced to work with what I have. Other than the drives I mentioned I have a 5th 500gb drive.

I could use the 4 500's in a RAID 0 and then use a backup or cloning program to make a copy on the 1tb drives. I was hoping to do something a little slicker than that though.
  6. what is your motherboard? If you have in intel chipset, then that RAID 0+1 is actually a RAID 10 aka Raid 1+0. I dont know about AMD.
  7. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P with an AM3 socket. The manual says it will support RAID 10 but their website does not. I emailed them and asked about it and never got a response. I asked a couple of other guys who have the same board and they don't use RAID so therefore had no answer for me. With all of the errors I have seen in manuals over the years I am thinking the web site is correct and the manual is wrong.
  8. The website also says that it's supported, but they support RAID 0+1: Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 0+1.
  9. I always say, when in doubt, try it out. You will have an option in your RAID "BIOS" to setup a RAID to, if that is indeed supported, of not then you dont have the capability.
  10. redberd said:
    My mobo will not support 10, only 0,1,0+1
    As goobaah mentioned, "RAID 10", "RAID 1+0" and "RAID 0+1" are all identical.
  11. RAID 10 (RAID 1+0) is not exactly the same as RAID 01 (RAID 0+1).
  12. While you're technically correct, in terms of functionality, RAID 1+0 and RAID 0+1 are equivalent. There can be some performance considerations depending on the controller/software you're using, but for the purposes of the OP's questions the differences really aren't relevant since his controller doesn't give him a choice.
  13. I will go with the RAID 01 and some sort of automated daily backup. I appreciate all of your comments very much.
  14. sminlal said:
    While you're technically correct, in terms of functionality, RAID 1+0 and RAID 0+1 are equivalent. There can be some performance considerations depending on the controller/software you're using, but for the purposes of the OP's questions the differences really aren't relevant since his controller doesn't give him a choice.

I agree and using RAID0 01 is very good, but if the OP had a choice, RAID 10 would be safer, particularly when using several hard disks. The performance difference between RAID 01 and RAID 10 should be minimal.
  15. FWIW here is the answer I received from Gigabyte themselves.

"It can support raid 0, 1 and 10
    0+1 is the same as 10"
  16. As explained on Wikipedia:

RAID 1+0 (or 10) is a mirrored data set (RAID 1) which is then striped (RAID 0), hence the "1+0" name.

RAID 0+1 (or 01) is a striped data set (RAID 0) which is then mirrored (RAID 1).

While they are similar, they are not identical.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Storage