Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Old (uninstalled) system is recognized and dual booted

Last response: in Windows 7
May 5, 2009 5:57:56 PM

Hello there. I, like many others, downloaded and installed the Windows 7 RC earlier today. The good word for the OS made me do a good clean install of it to make it my primary OS over my old XP. Everything went fine and I have it installed on my C drive sweet and clear. However, one issue arose.

There is my issue. I haven't had my old XP on Primary Partition, like I don't have the Win7 now either, but apparently something tells the computer that there IS a System on the Primary partition of the hard drive. Now I searched the Partition and there was Boot.BAK file, which I googled and found out to be XP boot file, so I deleted it with a smile, certain this'd make the issue of a dual-boot option appearing disappear, but it didn't.

Now then I find myself clueless about the situation. How could I let my computer know that there IS NOT a System on the Primary partition? Only Windows 7 on the Logical drive C. Granted, even if it thinks there is a System there the issues it makes don't seem too big (pressing Enter while booting), but it's still a nuisance.

All replies will have my appreciation, thanks

(Sorry, I realize this might be the wrong section but I couldn't figure out where to stuff it into)
a b $ Windows 7
May 5, 2009 6:42:13 PM

You have to edit your boot files... I believe bcedit or some similar program will allow you to remove the dead wood from your boot file.
May 5, 2009 6:59:17 PM

Just delete and re-create the partition(s), then format the drive as part of the Windows install. That will remove the old XP install.
Related resources
May 5, 2009 7:06:14 PM

Thank you Zoron. Your reply was spot on and helpful, I have now managed to edit the BCD registry and removed the "dead wood" from it. Now the problem has ceased to exist.

Thanks for your reply chunkymonster, but I managed to get rid of it with the method Zoron instructed and I believe I would of have saved a good deal of hassle instead of going the long way.

It does still show I have 'System' on the other partition, but I guess it's only to be expected because it's the primary partition of the hard drive the OS is installed on.

a b $ Windows 7
May 5, 2009 8:04:45 PM

That is an option as well... unless you want to keep the partitions as is, that is.
!