Sign in with
Your question

I hate these posts BUT, which to upgrade. Cpu/Graphics

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 17, 2008 12:07:29 AM

Ok, Very long story but going to try to make it as short as possible.
Monitor died, A gateway 21 incher, Right now trying to replace some capacitors and what not to get it to run.
Purchased a 24 inch samsung rose tint monitor for 400 (Problem one. Comp with almost every video card but mine 7900GTX) Due to incompatability, cannot change brightness/contrast etc due to the bottom on the monitor need software on computer to be active...eww

I Watch all my movies on the computer with a bluray drive...Computer is not fast enough/Graphics card not fast enough. My video card does not do hdcp. Using Anydvd now but constantly have to update it to work.
I have a 600 dollar budge for computer upgrades, 400 of it is locked in the monitor unless I can repair old monitor.

I am happy with my gaming performance but I am trying to wait as many generations as possible to upgrade. I bought and returned a 4850 and my movies played smoothly but not much gaming increase so I returned it.

EDIT: I realize my proc will limit 4850/4870 but being limited means nothing to me as long as minimal FPS does not drop below 30...

Super summery
**** computer does not play 50% of blu-ray titles due to processor being too slow (graphics card or cpu upgrade would fix this)

Happy with gaming performance but I will want to upgrade within the next 6-12 months.
Going from a 4400X2 (939) to a 6000X2 AM2 is expensive with not many gains but movies would work till new graphics card (using anydvd)

Ah damn, I should stick with reading forums and not posting, excuse this mess
4400 X2 939 Proc, 2 Gigs of ram, Win Vista 32bit, 7900GTX, 500 watt PS enermax liberty
September 17, 2008 12:51:17 AM

I really am confused by this thread. LoL
September 17, 2008 12:54:18 AM

Yeah, I am too. This is why I don't give others feedback and don't usually post. Just been kicking myself for 3 weeks on what to do.

600 Budget.
Monitor went to crap so I bought a new one, budget down to 200.
Possibility of repairing monitor for free, High.
Back to 600 budget.
Blu-ray movies play like ****, Need faster proc or Video card
Don't know to upgrade CPU or Vid....
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2008 1:12:59 AM

Get an Hd4850 gpu. That should solve your issues. The blue-ray decoding will be offloaded to the video card and it will handle it fine. Hell, an hd3450 can handle it. The X2 4400+ is a decent cpu and should not be a bottle neck for the card.
September 17, 2008 1:42:05 AM

^ +1

Newer ATI video cards take almost all the pressure off the CPU so upgrading to a HD4850 would be your best option.
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2008 1:50:54 AM

The bad thing about upgrading your video card will be that once you do upgrade your system to a newer mobo and cpu, you will be stuck with an AGP video card that is usless to you.

If you can repair your monitor (hats off to you if you can) then I would do so and spend the 600 on getting a new motherboard, cpu, power supply, memory and a video card and you will be set.

Then save up your money again and get a nice flat panel lcd monitor to top it off.

That would be the way I would go, provided I could repair a monitor.

GL... ;) 
September 17, 2008 3:46:50 AM

The 7900GTX is not agp...
For the people saying upgrade the graphics card, Upgrading CPU would solve the blu-ray problem since some movies are at 60% load and the rest are 90-100% load so any motherboard/cpu upgrade would solve that.
Now i want my blu-ray to run smooth, im happy with everything else. So the question is, what should I really upgrade...I feel both the 7900GTX and the 4400 are both not bad, but combined is giving me issues.
I can move my budget up to 700 if the monitor is not repairable which would give me 300 and I dont mind throwing a little on a credit card. So I could do a full CPU/Motherboard/Ram upgrade but i feel the cheap quads are not fast enough and the X2's just is not that big of a leap from 4400X2 ...Note, I always like to upgrade when I get double performance...accept when its graphics because its not always a double in performance that your looking for.
I have rebuilt this PC soo many times and have had a total of 6 CPU's and about 5 graphics cards...It has always been a easy choice what to upgrade next...
September 17, 2008 3:53:26 AM

Also if I do go graphics card route, im going to have to decide on a 4850 or 4870. But both are CPU limited in my case even though I would be doing a CPU upgrade prob in a year if I just went graphics card
4850 and 4870 does not show much difference, but with all the extra bandwidth it may later, right now it hovers around 5/15 FPS (total FPS from toms is about 8% faster) but that is with today's games...
Either way im screwed CPU/GPU GPU/GPU
just want to know which i would be the least screwed....
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 17, 2008 4:18:15 AM

Get the 4850. When you upgrade your CPU and motherboard you will be able to see a big increase in performance. The games that are really going to be limited are RTS games, but if you want to play a game like Crysis that Radeon 4850 is going to make a big difference. It will look better and run much faster on a 4850 in DX10 mode than a 7900GTX in DX9 mode. Since you're with a socket 939 your not going to get a faster CPU on that board. Upgrading your CPU means upgrading your RAM and Motherboard too so I say just get the 4850 for now, since that will allow you to enjoy your blu ray movies, and get the faster CPU, MB and RAM when you save up more money.
a b U Graphics card
September 17, 2008 4:22:22 AM

sarial said:
Also if I do go graphics card route, im going to have to decide on a 4850 or 4870. But both are CPU limited in my case even though I would be doing a CPU upgrade prob in a year if I just went graphics card
4850 and 4870 does not show much difference, but with all the extra bandwidth it may later, right now it hovers around 5/15 FPS (total FPS from toms is about 8% faster) but that is with today's games...
Either way im screwed CPU/GPU GPU/GPU
just want to know which i would be the least screwed....

Did you even read my response? The HD4850 will do all the work of decoding the blue-rays. For that all you need is a mediocre single core cpu. And with the X2 4400+ with the HD4850 you will see a huge performance boost in games over the 7900gtx.
September 17, 2008 4:30:28 AM

Ya, orangegator. I read it thats why i responded that either the CPU upgrade OR the graphics card would fix my blu-ray problem. So it would still be up in the air about which would be the best solution
I had bought a 4850 and returned it, Blu-ray played perfectly, just did not see much of a performance jump in Crysis, Call of duty, or Bioshock, everything looked prettier but not the greatest in FPS gain. So after that I did return the 4850.
Doubt i would be happier with a 4870 either in gaming performance
So...Cpu is limiting my FPS.
The cheapest option would be to upgrade my GPU and wait for a CPU that I feel would be a worthy jump or when i just can't stand playing everything on medium/no cpu intensive tasks.
I just dont feel that either jump is worthy...but one has to be done.
4850 would be a cheap short term solution and even if i did not need it gaming wise, it would "only" be a 140 dollar loss...
September 17, 2008 4:33:35 AM

Btw, I know im just asking for it now but, thank you all for not flaming me out of the water, so expected it.

P.S If i did upgrade cpu it would be to a AMD, I know Intel's is better, Just wanting to help the "little" people out.
!