Help with memory and dual channel [GA-965P-DS3]

Faux Carnival

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Hello guys, my motherboard is Gigabyte 965P-DS3 which can run memory sticks in dual channel. I currently have one 1GB stick and I want to upgrade.

I actually want to buy 2 more of the same memory modules, ending up with 3GB of memory. But, would my memories run in dual channel? If not, would this cost me a decrease in performance? Should I go with 2x1GB or 3x1GB? Which one would be faster? Thanks.

Faux Carnival

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Thanks kyeana, I'd love to get that killer combo but unfortunately I'm not in the U.S. currently. And here, the prices aren't that low. :( What I'm wondering is, will 3x1GB sticks run okay with my mobo? Will I have problems?

If you get the same identical sticks, yes it will run fine. However, you will not be running in dual channel mode with 3 sticks. They must be installed in pairs to run dual channel, either 2 or 4 sticks. What OS are you running?
If XP, I would just buy 1 stick for a total of 2 gig.
If you are running Vista, I would get 2 more sticks for 3 gig, if you cannot afford to buy 3 more for a total of 4 gig. (the best scenerio)
Even though it won't be runnning in dual channel if you don't install the memory in pairs, the extra memory will make a difference in Vista.