new 9800 gt installed, bump pc it turns off

Crazyeye

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Bought a new Evga Nvidia 9800 gt 512 mb card, installed it today. At first it wouldn't work at all and defaulted to the integrated card. So I give up, put my 8600 gt back in, decide to give the new card one last try and it works for some reason, after like 5 attempts all together from removing it to putting it back in. So now it works but if I even bump the pc or set a drink on the desk too hard it turns off the pc. Was on phone with tech support, my power supply, processor all are fine, he couldn't figure out why it was turning my pc off. Bad card or did I somehow after so many attempts still seat the card wrong?

Whoa, that's a little dangerous. Could be something loose or a problem with the power supply. I'm thinking that since it didn't work at all in the first place it may not have been getting enough power. If your power supply is fine you could have a problem with the PCI-E connector, so try using the other one if your PSU has two or more. Also, check the wires leading to the power switch and reset button on the board to make sure your new card is not interfering with them.