Hey guys,

first of all here's some information on my system:
CPU: AMD P2 x4 955 BE Boxed
MB: MSI 770-C45
RAM: OCZ DDR3 1333 CL6
GPU: Asus GTX275
Case: CM 690
Power Supply: Corsair 550W

ok, what i was thinking to do is raising the multiplier of my cpu to 17 (3.4GHz) but I don't want to raise the voltage. now i've got some questions:
1. Can i do that without raising the voltage?
2. Will the temperature stay the same if i dont raise the voltage? So will the boxed fan be ok for that?
3. Will cnq still work if i do this via bios? if not, is it ok to do it via software?
4. should i also raise the nb multiplicator or any other values?

thanks in advance

shaggy2k7

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009

On my 965 I raised JUST the multiplier to 18x (965's start at 17) and I'm running really stable atm at 3.6ghz in prime95 small FFT's. I don't believe you will have to raise the voltage on the 955 because the two are so close. So far my temps were 29c idle 45c load stock, atm they are 30c idle and 45c load oc'd to 3.6ghz.

Hope this helps.

Answer:

1- Yes you can, with the 955 you can rise the multiplier till 18x without rise the voltage.
2- The temperature with x18 multiplier is 50c max.
3- You have 2 way for do this. Via BIOS or with the AMD Overdrive, select the more easy for you.
4- How I said up, for 3.6GHz you only need rise the multiplier, if you want rise more, maybe you need rise the voltage and FSB

P.D. With 3.6GHz you can get really good result, I have the same processor and is wonderfull.

Nescho

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Thanks guys! So I'll just raise the multi and leave the other settings.
Now about how to do it. I read lots of people saying it's best to clock via bios. But i also read that cool n quiet doesnt work if u dont set standard settings in bios. Does cnq still work for u guys? Did u do it in bios?
And are there any disadvantages from doing it with amd overdrive? For example the settings need some time to load after the boot or so

I dissable the C'N'Q and overclock from AMD Overdrive, from the BIOS is easy.

Enter to the BIOS, advance options and find your processor the default multiplier is 16x, so look for them and rise till 18x. The othe options don't need any change. Save the preference and the system reboot him self.

From AMD Overdrive is the same process, install and star the program, look for the tab "performance control" in this tabe look for "clock/voltage", and finally in the option "clock" rise the multiplier from 16x to 18x. BUT make your sure that the 4 core of the CPU are selected. Apply and accept.

P.D. Sorry for my bad english, but I'm not from USA.

No, the "problem" with the c'n'q is that when you aren't using the PC to full load, the c'n'q down the power and the frecuency of the CPU, so, in some case the 955 can run to 2GHz with the c'n'q activated.

Nescho

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Does any of u guys know if its also possible to raise the cpu nb multi to 11 (11*200=2200MHz) without raising the voltage?

And would these settings make sense:
CPU 17*200=3400MHz (3200 is stock)
CPU NB 11*200=2200MHz (2000 is stock)
HTT 10*200=2000MHz <- stock

I have read that the 955 will run at up to 3.8Ghz at stock voltage (no change).
You should be safe running it at 3.4 without making a voltage change and without a 3rd party heatsink/fan.
If you want to go over 3.4 I suggest better cooling.
If you want to go over 3.8 I suggest better cooling and you will need to increase the voltage.

Here is a step by step (for beginners) by the friendly people at AMD.
http://blogs.amd.com/play/2009/04/22/overclocking-101-with-the-amd-phenom-ii-x4-955-black-edition-processor/

They were able to get that baby to 4.2 Ghz!!!!
Personally I don't like to mess with voltage changes etc so when I buy my 955 I'll be using custom cooling and taking it to 3.8Ghz or whatever I get to with high stability and no voltage change.

The 955 only can run to 3.6GHz with the sock voltage, for 3.8GHz you need rise to voltage to 1.450V and the multiplier must be 19x.

Maybe yes, but between more frecuency (GHz), more fast run the processor, so, more heat dissipates, like the voltage, between more voltage, more current, so, more heat dissiaptes too.