Phenon II 940 - Temperature Clearification

choli0090

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Hi Everyone, I am trying to overclock my Phenom II 940 cpu, to either 3.5 or 3.6 Ghz (since that seems to be around the max that most people seem to be getting with this cpu. At the moment I'm running at 3.3 Ghz with The Cpu voltage set 1.35v, and the NB, SB & Memory set at the default settings.

While I know the max is 62C this chip can handle, the part I'm confused with is which # should I be paying attention so I don't go over the 62C limit or making sure I stay below this # on a stress test.

When I go into the Bios, the CPU Temp will say 39C, so when I boot into Windows & load HWMonitor, I see the following:

TMPIN0 43C
TMPIN1 41C
TMPIN2 49C

CORE1 48C
CORE2 48C
CORE3 48C
CORE4 48C

I read another thread & someone said to take the # that closely matched the bios cpu temp, which in this case would be the TMPIN0/1.

Would this be correct? So in my case am I reading that my cpu temp is in the low 40's?

Thanks

-------------------------
Chris

My System:

Phenom II X4 940, Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H, 2 2 gigs Kingston PC6400, Radeon HD 4870

randomizer

Champion
The BIOS reads a different sensor to what HWmonitor reads for the cores. I am no expert with AMD temps, but I have heard that the Digital Thermal Sensor (which is used to calculate the core temps) only outputs the value for the hottest core, and so all cores appear the same.