Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Prime95 torture test cpu temps in the 90's C. Why?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
November 2, 2009 12:15:28 AM

I am going to give you info on items in my build that I think would be relavant. I ran Prime95 torture test and was getting temps in the upper 80's to mid 90's C in less than 10 min. running. Temp monitoring with CPUID. Idle temps 37-41C. CPU is running stock...no attempt at OC yet. Also, Prime95 failed on some modules after 5-6 minutes and twice the computer shut down while running the test. I don't know how to check the errors that occured? I am guessing shut down was due to high temps?

Have patience with me. I am new to this and have limited understanding. I want to understand though and that is why I am seeking advice/explanation of what to check or do next.

i7 920

ZALMAN CNPS 9900

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

(2) CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) = 12GB

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

BFG - NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 OC 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Any information or suggestions would me much appreciated!!

Many blessings,
Beth
November 2, 2009 2:11:46 AM

Did you assemble the system yourself? CPU overheating is usually caused by improperly seated heatsink. You could also double check to make sure the fan on the heatsink is working properly.

Another option would be taking the heatsink off and reapplying some thermal compound and reseating it.

Hope this helps!
m
0
l
November 2, 2009 2:47:11 AM

you may want to get an aftermarket heatsink also, the i7 heatsink has a reputation for being very low quality and not cooling the cpu effectively even with stock frequencies and voltage
m
0
l
Related resources
November 2, 2009 4:13:01 AM

I am using the Zalman 9900. Yes, I put the system together myself. I will double check the cpu cooler and see. Also, I have the same cooler in another build and it is working seemingly much better. Ran a stress test on it and it was in the 40's. It is not an i7 or same setup though. I have the cooler aimed up at the top fan in that one though and think I am going to switch this one as well. The Antec 900 has that big top fan and it seems that any cooler would be more effective aimed at that fan.

I will post back after I look at the cooler. The only thing I have changed in the bios is the memory settings. Changed it to XMP to get the suggested clock setting for the memory. Could that have anything to do with it?
m
0
l
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
November 2, 2009 5:27:25 AM

distracted11 said:
I am using the Zalman 9900. Yes, I put the system together myself. I will double check the cpu cooler and see. Also, I have the same cooler in another build and it is working seemingly much better. Ran a stress test on it and it was in the 40's. It is not an i7 or same setup though. I have the cooler aimed up at the top fan in that one though and think I am going to switch this one as well. The Antec 900 has that big top fan and it seems that any cooler would be more effective aimed at that fan.

I will post back after I look at the cooler. The only thing I have changed in the bios is the memory settings. Changed it to XMP to get the suggested clock setting for the memory. Could that have anything to do with it?



I believe coolers are generally more efficient when the exhaust is aimed at the back fans to "blow through" so to speak.

This is probably a dumb question but did you use thermal paste? And if so did you follow the application directions?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2009 5:53:20 AM

wsupduck said:
you may want to get an aftermarket heatsink also, the i7 heatsink has a reputation for being very low quality and not cooling the cpu effectively even with stock frequencies and voltage


TOTAL BS, please - dont post that crap here
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2009 5:53:55 AM

as for your high temps - remove and reseat your hsf, replace that thermal paste and try some different software to read the temps
m
0
l
November 2, 2009 11:59:57 AM

If it helps I have the same cooler with an I7 overclocked to 3.3Ghz and with turbo enabled it peaks at 3.9 under load on Prime 95 torture test.

Max temp is 57 degrees with a case temp of 30 degrees, room temp about 18.
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 11:47:00 PM

I have a 920 with a Gigabyte UD3R. My first water cooling setup was home built and worked great until i kept burning out pumps because they didn't like prestone 50/50. it worked way better than the Corsair HD50 i have now, with 2 fans, in push pull. case is a thermaltake v9 black widow. now, i changed the airflow a little side 190 i had to mount on the outside of the case because i needed room for the hoses, but i have that fan blowing in, the top 190 is blowing out (hot air rises). the front fan is blowing out too i think. the radiator fans blow into the case so they're getting outside air. Its gotten humid out lately, (i'm in CT).. obviously i learned through T&E that you need to disable most of the protection stuff to a) make the cpu operate at its rated output to begin with - my out of the box clock was like 1600mhz, once it even went down to 133. this is because of the intel management features. Running 7Pro 64 bit with 3x2GB Kingston HyperX ram, triple channel, XMP enabled. Turbo boost and HT are enabled. FI bios. I first used Easy Tune 6 and ran at 3.2 for a while (3.36 w/ TB) and last week found settings that finally pushed me past the 4Ghz mark, but its using the 21 multiplier, so windows thinks its 3820mhz, cpuid says 4014.56. Cpu voltage is 1.36 dram is 1.632. With the 21 multiplier the ram is running at like 1528mhz. blck is 191
I'm getting mid 80's on the torture test, is this common? should I lower the voltage?
and am i better off with the 20 multiplier? CPU is rev D0
Dram timing is 9-9-9 27

I wanted to go even further but im concerned.. before, cpu would be 29-35c tops... now its 45 at idle. it seems that the heat came ever since my jump from 3.2 to 4.01
Thoughts?
Thanks..
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 11:52:39 PM

btw.. that was with speedfan.. i think speedfan temps are wrong.
I have a digital temp display and fan controller in my 5 1/4 bay but it uses its own temp sensors. I set Easy Tune to alert me if temps exceed 65 degrees..ran the torture test, speedfan said 85 or so for a few seconds then the ET alarm went off..so there may be a fluctuation. Going to try using other software as a backup..

Anyone know a good pump that can handle Anti-freeze? the first pump i used was a mr gasket fuel pump.. that thing worked awesome until it burned out a few hours later. the bad thing about the HD50 is small diameter hoses. then i used a fish tank pump.. lasted a little longer but had to relocate outside the case (this was in a shallow 4u rack case before)... good thing that the water in there is distilled cuz i had some leaks while it was powered on!!
m
0
l
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 105 K Overclocking
June 4, 2010 4:56:09 AM

jwdavid81 said:
btw.. that was with speedfan.. i think speedfan temps are wrong.
I have a digital temp display and fan controller in my 5 1/4 bay but it uses its own temp sensors. I set Easy Tune to alert me if temps exceed 65 degrees..ran the torture test, speedfan said 85 or so for a few seconds then the ET alarm went off..so there may be a fluctuation. Going to try using other software as a backup..

Anyone know a good pump that can handle Anti-freeze? the first pump i used was a mr gasket fuel pump.. that thing worked awesome until it burned out a few hours later. the bad thing about the HD50 is small diameter hoses. then i used a fish tank pump.. lasted a little longer but had to relocate outside the case (this was in a shallow 4u rack case before)... good thing that the water in there is distilled cuz i had some leaks while it was powered on!!




This thread is 7 months old so the only people who are going to see it are the people who posted in it orignally. If you need help start a new thread.
The first thing to do is not overclock with EasyTune. Use BIOS.
m
0
l
!