Sign in with
Your question

Need a 400 watt power supply for my sony Vaio pcv-RS 430G

Last response: in Components
November 8, 2008 4:52:33 PM

I just bought a new xfx Nvidia 7600GS graphics cars which requires a 400 watt power supply. I only have a stock 295 watt power supply in my sony vaio PCV-RS 430G. I have tried many power supplies that do not fit this proprietary power supply that sony has fitted. Sony was very unhelpful with providing a better powewr supply when i tried phoning them. Please does anyone know if there is a 400 watt micro ATX power supply out there that can fit into my PCV-RS 430G desktop!? Much help would be greatly appreciated!!!
November 8, 2008 5:36:11 PM

The 7600GS doesn't use a lot of power. You will probably be fine sticking with the 295W power supply. Have you tried using it with the card?
November 8, 2008 5:51:42 PM

Yes ive tried it and windows says that its not getting sufficient power....!!! so i bought a micro-atx athena 475 watt power supply online that still doesnt fit the brackets of my sony vaio power supply!!! do u know of a power supply that will fit!?.....Thanks for your response....
Related resources
November 8, 2008 6:13:31 PM

That's exactly why I would never ever buy a Sony PC, I'm so done with Sony.

What exactly doesn't fit? The rear doesn't line up, or the other dimensions. Take it out and measure it, then post the dimensions.
November 8, 2008 6:16:53 PM

Can you spell PROPRIETARY? Case, motherboard, power supply, built by/for Sony. You need to purchase an inexpensive case and a motherboard that will take the CPU you have currently. It will only be $100+ over what you've spent on the power supply, and it'll allow you to upgrade to anything else in the future...
November 8, 2008 6:26:31 PM

I was thinking case as well. He might not need a new mobo, because the mobo is ATX not BTX. But knowing Sony the mobo holes probably don't line up. I also appears that his mobo might be socket 478 so it is going to be hard to find a mobo, especially if his CPU has hyper-threading.

I would be more inclined to drill a hole in the top of the case for the wires and velcro a PSU on top. I got a look inside and it appears the PSU is short as well, but it's hard to tell.

DIE SONY DIE!
November 8, 2008 7:51:33 PM

Now that's a good idea, I forgot about those. Finally, a good reason to use them.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is a free drive bay.
November 8, 2008 8:54:11 PM

i can take out the dvd-rom and fit one of those power supplies in but they dont have the connections for the AGP video cards!!....is there a power supply that fits in the cd-rom bays that has the 4 pin molex connections. If not what case would be suitable to buy if there are no compatible power supplies!?
November 8, 2008 9:04:36 PM

The 475 watt athena power supply that i bought does't line up with the holes.....only one screw at most lines up!!! and the brackets that hold the stock 295 watt NMB power supply us way too small!!! The dimensions of the 475 watt are: 5.9"x5.5"x3.4" (WXDH). The current 295 watt dimensions are: Width: 6 1/2" Depth: 3 15/16 Height: 3 1/2".
November 8, 2008 9:14:56 PM

would that one work with the xfx geforce 7600GS AGP Video card....
November 8, 2008 9:18:07 PM

I don't see why not!
Well, I cannot be sure. May have to do some more research.....
November 9, 2008 5:54:04 PM

If not....are there any other power supplies that would fit!?
November 9, 2008 6:20:15 PM

http://www.epowertec.com/power_cd.html

This is the same juice box but in 420 watts....but i dont think it has the sufficient cables for my graphics card and sony vaio!? wat do you think!?
February 2, 2009 1:53:07 PM

Did you ever resolve this issue como_13? I have the same problem with a 7600GS into my vaio. I'd prefer not to replace the case as well as the PSU if possible. I was looking at the Thermaltake supplementary PSU but it doesn't have 4 pin molex connectors.

Does anyone know if I could use a cheap external PSU with a cable running through a pci port to power just the graphics card?
February 2, 2009 11:30:33 PM

No i gave up looking for a power supply....i jus took the video card back.....but would still like to know if anyone has ever been able to find a compatible power supply for the sony vaio pcv-rs430g....let me KNOW
February 28, 2009 3:49:31 AM

I bought one that didn't fit but used it anyway. I had to unscrew the 2 top drives (both DVD drives) and slide them forward to put it in. Then I could only put one screw into the thing from the back panel. It's ugly but it has worked. I never put the outer cover back on my PCV-RS430G, but it's a small price to pay for using a ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP card on dual monitors.

Unfortunately, the power supply I bought (Cooler Master eXtreme power duo 600W [RP-600-PCAR]) started making ugly noises recently after about 6-8months of ownership. It seems this make has problems with noisy fans and I have been lucky up to this point.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Good luck finding one that fits!
October 18, 2009 12:37:31 PM

The power supply is not proprietary. You can buy any micro ATX (Half size) 400 watt supply and use it. The only thing you will have to do is enter bios and disable the power supply fan monitoring as the new supply will not have the 3 pin connector for that.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
November 12, 2009 2:59:52 PM

I had the same problem with trying to replace Sony Vaio power supply (295W) when I bought Apple 30' Cinema monitor which required a video card to support it's 2560x1600 resolution. I did find a solution. Matrox , a Canadian co has high res video card which works perfectly with 295w power supply, fits into Sony size cases and supports 2560 x1600 resolution. And no drilling required.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
November 14, 2009 8:43:48 PM

como_13 said:
I just bought a new xfx Nvidia 7600GS graphics cars which requires a 400 watt power supply. I only have a stock 295 watt power supply in my sony vaio PCV-RS 430G. I have tried many power supplies that do not fit this proprietary power supply that sony has fitted. Sony was very unhelpful with providing a better powewr supply when i tried phoning them. Please does anyone know if there is a 400 watt micro ATX power supply out there that can fit into my PCV-RS 430G desktop!? Much help would be greatly appreciated!!!

!