Asus P5W DH Deluxe... Configuring E-SATA

bpatters55

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Hello All,

I have a SATA Western Digital drive which is installed in an external hard drive enclosure. The enclosure has an option for USB and E-SATA (external SATA). The drive works without any problems with the USB but not with the E-SATA. In terms of SATA devices installed on the MB, I have two SATA internal hard drives and a SATA CD|DVD. My first thought was that I had used up all of the SATA ports with my internal devices but according to Asus Tech Support the External SATA is controlled by a Marvel Yukon controller. I am running Windows XP - not the 64bit version. Any ideas? I have some questions below.

Questions

1. How would the Marvel Yukon controller show up in device manager? Shoudn't I be able to see the External SATA or Yukon Controller show up as a device like a printer port or HD controller? If I do not see the Marvel Yukon controller in device manager, wouldn't that be an indication that the device is not configured correctly?

2. I looked for a Marvel Yukon controller on the Moethrboard CD and on the Asus download library and the only driver I can find that is close is the driver for the Marvel Gigabyte LAN ports.

3. My main HD recently crashed and I had to install and configure a new Hard Disk as the primary (bootable) hard disk. For the install, I did not use any of the drivers on the Motherboard CD. Should I install all of the drivers from the CD?

Thanks, Bill

G

Hi Bill,

You need to downloadand install the Jmicron JMB36X_WinDrv_R1.17.50_WHQL_eSATA or later driver in Windows.

Cheers,

carcass