Gigabit ethernet runing only @100FD

DArCam

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Hello:

I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9(rev1) motherboard that includes a Integrated Gigabit LAN Ethernet controller but i cannot get the sistem to connect at 1 Gigabit.

I have it connectted to a brand-new LINKSYS.by.CISCO WRT610N gigabit router and any other device really connects to that velocity with it. I tried changing the cables, the drivers...

Windows Device manager claims to have the "NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet" device correctly working. Once, with a different version of the drivers, I was able to unselect AUTONEGOTIATION and Select 1000Mbps, but the real speed was the same as conecting with 100FD: 60/70Mbps.

Info:
Windows Vista 64 SP1
Nvidia network controller ver. 67.8.9.0 from WHQL 15.23

Any ideas?

Thank U all.

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
If your trying to connect to the internet at 1Gbps, that's not gonna happenno matter what you do. But, if its for a home network, then all of your computers and routers have to have Gigabit NIC cards, and I would suggest using CAT6 ethernet. Most NICs will automaticly detect the speed of the media, If the NIC can do 1Gbps than it will, but not if everything else is at 10/100Mbps. Also the NIC will also detect if the speed is Half or Full Duplex. I imagine your problem is not the hardware your using, just that everything your using is not 1Gbps capable.

DArCam

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
All cables are CAT6, router is gigabit, NAT server is gigabit and connects that fast. The only one that does not negotiate to 1000Mbps is the computer network card commented. Fastest way to notice is because all lights on the router go "1000Mb" but this one, that goes "100Mb".

I know it does not make any sense. But it's like that. ¿Can Be a driver issue?

Thank U, again.

RavenLunatic

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
There are some big problems using 64bit vista and gigabit ethernet.

However I have managed to get better performance from my own network by doing the following

Go into Local Area connection properties and un-install QoS.

Next click on configure

Disable Large send Offload (IPv4)
Disable Interrupt Moderation

Doing those 3 things got the speed of my gigabit network running at up to 600Mbps. Speed limited by hard disk speed I think. Before it used to run at 100mbps speeds despite the connection speed indicating 1000mbps.

DArCam

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Yes, I've read something about that. But that does not solve the issue with the speed negotiated by the card, so it decides to go 100Mbps and that is the limit unless it decides to connect to 1Gbps.

I have tried, just in case, but it does not change anything...

Any other ideas?

Thank u, again.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
might be a driver/OS issue, the nvidia ethernet cards are kinda shady imho :(

you arent able to force it to connect at 1gbps at all??

have you tried in another OS, like 32 bit vista or XP?

you can even try an ubuntu install cd; it lets you boot to the OS off the CD and i believe they have drivers for nforce lan cards

does your nic get a link before you get into the OS? if it does you can check before OS bootup what speed it is linked at to help rule out OS/driver issues

are there any settings in the bios for the nic?

if not then you might have a sketchy card and the only suggestion then is to get a pcie gigabit lan card from a diff manufacturer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166015
it's probably some realtek chipset on this one

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
When using Vista, be sure to go into network properties, TCP/IP settings, and DISABLE IPV6! (if this is not supported by your LAN, then it will autonegotiate to 100MB)

tartsnake

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I have the exact same issue, DArCam, except it's on XP Pro SP3 32-bit (just updated from SP2--no fix!)

Using same driver, settings, etc..... I know it would probably be best to just go pick up a PCI nic from Fry's and be done with it, but dammit it's driving me insane why it won't work!

One of the other systems on the network uses an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum board with dual-integrated Gb LAN ports and BOTH of them connect at 1000. Uses the exact same drivers, but both network controllers are Marvell, which probably explains the improvement over the "CICADA8201" on the Gigabyte board.

tartsnake

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Problem solved! I noticed the LAN driver installed on the MSI board from the last post was NOT the latest one (Nvidia network controller ver. 67.8.9.0 from WHQL 15.23), it was an older driver only found on the driver DL page on MSI's website--specifically for that board and possibly some similar MSI boards--dated 4/6/2005.

So on the GA-K8NF-9 I uninstalled all Nvidia drivers except for the display, rebooted in safe mode and cleaned the Nvidia chipset with DriverCleaner, then installed the chipset driver ver 6.66 from:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=1860

It's not the latest chipset driver on that page but it contains the latest LAN driver listed there.

When I rebooted, the light on the router changed from :cry: to :) !

DArCam

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Well. i could't make it to work on 1Gb on any of the 64 bits O.S. (Vista/XP). For some other compatibility reasons I had to clean and install XPSP3_x86 again.

in this case, "NVIDIA CK804 Lan Driver" from Gigabyte webpage will declare the connection as 1Gb. But the data won't transfer any faster. It got a bit better messing with the window size and the packet size. But nothig over the 100Mbps.

I guess i'll end up buying a real-Gigabit-ethernet card.

Thanks to all.

tlh523

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008

These drivers appear to be for xp will they work on Vista (32bit)?