SSD Help

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SSD
  • Internet Explorer
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 21, 2010 6:49:15 PM

I just got a new computer with an SSD and a magnetic hard drive, but had a few questions.

From what I understand the only problem with SSDs is that when you read/write a bunch the data cells run out of uses. When this happens, does it actually cause a problem or does the device know a certain cell is out and just skips it when I try to write something onto the SSD? If thats the case then will continuous reading/writing on the SSD for years just lower its overall storage capacity?

Right now I have the OS, my antivirus software and drivers installed on the SSD. It also came with IE and some other windows extras installed on the SSD. If I use IE installed on the SSD, does that mean the browser will maintain a TEMP files folder on the SSD thus reading/writing a bunch whenever I'm browsing/streaming video and lowering the overall life of the SSD?

To install things on the hard drive should I just create a folder called Program_Files and just write in the correct path for installers? or is there a way to setup the hard drive as the default install drive for everything?

Is there any issues with having the antivirus software on a different drive than the files which will probably contain the viruses?

Should I set my magnetic hard drive as a backup to my SSD?

Lastly, I download/drag a lot of things to my desktop which is located on the SSD. Is there a way to make the desktop folder use the magnetic drive instead?

More about : ssd

January 22, 2010 2:00:37 PM

I just got a new computer with an SSD and a magnetic hard drive, but had a few questions.

From what I understand the only problem with SSDs is that when you read/write a bunch the data cells run out of uses. When this happens, does it actually cause a problem or does the device know a certain cell is out and just skips it when I try to write something onto the SSD? If thats the case then will continuous reading/writing on the SSD for years just lower its overall storage capacity?

-- First it's important to avoid the read/write action as musch as you can in ssd. I'm not sur if the overall capacity will be affect, but the average speed will go down. I don't know the brand of your ssd but I think if you go on the forum of the builder you will find all answer there. Plus, in my case , I have 2x60gd ocz vertex and in the forum for the vertex someone already develop a small application to move from the ssd most of the folder used by the OS in read-write continuosly and put it on the other disk I have.

Right now I have the OS, my antivirus software and drivers installed on the SSD. It also came with IE and some other windows extras installed on the SSD. If I use IE installed on the SSD, does that mean the browser will maintain a TEMP files folder on the SSD thus reading/writing a bunch whenever I'm browsing/streaming video and lowering the overall life of the SSD?
--It's why I used the application describe before to moved those file on a normal disk... I got a raptor 60gig for that. There is one other thing you can do it's to move the download location folder to an other disk.

To install things on the hard drive should I just create a folder called Program_Files and just write in the correct path for installers? or is there a way to setup the hard drive as the default install drive for everything?
--I think your default installation can be change but I don't know how, you will have to choose the path each time for your new installation. For me I install game on the raptor to let the os, antivirus and browser and other program on the SSD .

Is there any issues with having the antivirus software on a different drive than the files which will probably contain the viruses?
--no but you have to check the option when you scan for virus to be sure all drive are include

Should I set my magnetic hard drive as a backup to my SSD?
--It's always a good idea to get a backup, even if you used or not an ssd drive. If you have the place and the HD do it. I have an external drive only for backup and thanks god when I lost one of my drive in raid 0 three months ago I do the setup, and re-install everything in less then one hour.

Lastly, I download/drag a lot of things to my desktop which is located on the SSD. Is there a way to make the desktop folder use the magnetic drive instead?[/quotemsg]
--you know for that one i'm not sure but my two cents are ...even if you drag 100 of shortcuts on your desktop the amount will 100kb.. so it's not really an read-write action
m
l
Related resources
a c 352 G Storage
January 22, 2010 4:32:28 PM

Jive, Your last comment is slightly off.

The smallest size a file can occupy is normally 4kbytes. This is based on cluster size, with the default being 4 Kbytes. So 100 1 k files will take up 400 Kbytes on disk (HDD, but I think SSDs also use). 100 x 1 Byte files also takes 400 kbytes on disk.

Ex: properties of Calculator shortcut. Size = 1,470 bytes. Size on disk = 4,096 Bytes.

The only reason I point this out is that for the operating system + programs a very large number of the files are under 4 Kbytes, but each file takes a min of 4 Kbytes. This is also the reason that the 4 Kbytes RANDOM read/write performance is the most imprtant factor in determining performance on bootup and program load times..
m
l
a b G Storage
January 22, 2010 7:21:12 PM

RetiredChief nailed it right in the bullseye.
-Moving the OS's critical folders from the SSD defeats its purpose. You buy an SSd for speed, use it and thats what you'll get.

-If you get an Intel SSD, you'll get something called trim, it actually deletes files when deleted and makes sure your cells are fresh and ready for fast writes.

-An ssd will outlast all your other components of your computer anyway...
-Dont worry about writes damaging it, you buy an SSD for that reason, use its potential. It will last much longer then anything else anyway.
-Writing and reading is a lot more damaging to a hard drive, even though it has unlimited writes, everytime you do something thats an extra many moves that the mechanical arm needs to do to ready the file from the platter, it will burn up or crap out way before your SSD.
m
l
January 24, 2010 10:13:11 PM

RJR said:
WAY to many questions for a single post.

READ THIS: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631

and GOOGLE: SSD TWEAKS

wow the Anandtech article was amazingly awesome. Superb breakdown and explanation of SSD's and how they work. Looks like the Intel X25M-G2 is the best choice. However that article is almost 6 months old. Any idea if there is a newer updated article detailing if TRIM support is now available in the intel firmware and Windows 7? Or is that something we have to wait for sevice pack 1 to take advantage of?
m
l
January 24, 2010 10:26:32 PM

Windows 7 natively supports trim. Whether your ssd and its current firmware do is something that you need to be aware of. Right now there is no trim for any raid configuration. But I read that it could someday be implemented according to some specification.
m
l
January 24, 2010 10:36:49 PM

notty22 said:
Windows 7 natively supports trim. Whether your ssd and its current firmware do is something that you need to be aware of. Right now there is no trim for any raid configuration. But I read that it could someday be implemented according to some specification.

forgive me as I am not completely familiar with meanings of all technical terms. When you say "natively", does that mean Windows 7 automatically uses TRIM to keep the drive fresh, or is it something one needs to run occasionally like disc cleanup or defrag?

thanks
m
l
a b G Storage
September 20, 2012 7:10:43 PM

It should Run automatically but to check you can go to the start button then use the cmd line and enter the following:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

if it reads

DisableDeleteNotify = 0

Then Trim is active. if the number is 1 then it is not currently active.
m
l