Sign in with
Your question

Boot Manager

Last response: in Windows XP
January 20, 2011 3:01:54 PM

Hi - Newbie here.
Silver Surfer, quite lost in a Boot Manager Missing problem. Here's how:
I built a system for my son from mostly used parts. ASRock Conroe XFire Esata2 Mobo, Intel E4400 CPU, WDE AAKS 500GB SATA Hdd, 2 GB PC2 - 6400 RAM. LiteOn (IDE) DVDRW & DVDROM, in a Coolermaster 330 case.
The hard drive is one of 2 that I have tried in the system, I had previously formatted them in a ESATA external case from my HP Lappy (Win7, 64 bit).
Problem starts when I attempt to install Windows XP from a known good and genuine oem XP SP3 disc. (was my own, in a previous PC, stored in a dark dry place.)
I get "Boot Manager Missing" - "Press Control+Alt+ Delete to Restart."
It does not restart. I cannot get the PC to do anything else. What can I do, and what am I doing wrong, please/ Any help will spare my last remaining hair!
Regards, Robbon.

More about : boot manager

January 20, 2011 3:47:02 PM

OEM installs are tied to the original hardware they were installed on. You can't install that copy on different hardware.
January 20, 2011 7:22:47 PM

Thanks for the response.
I know that is supposed to be the rule - BUT - I have used this XP disc in 3 previous installs myself, with different mobo's, RAM, and CPU's. And I don't think that addresses the problem of "Boot Manager Missing". In addition, I have tried the same install with the original XP that was on the PC mobo: same results. If I am wrong, please forgive me. In that event, do I then have to buy a full version of XP? My son does not want another O/S, being dyslexic and having taken a long time to get used to it.
Related resources
January 20, 2011 7:43:45 PM

The problem with trying to re-install an OEM version, is it won't activate on new hardware. It's designed to recognize the hardware, and stay with it (mainly the motherboard).

For the boot manager problem, use the XP disc, to boot into the repair console. Here's a guide on how to get into the recovery console.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/rconsole...

Once there, at the command line, type fixmbr and press enter. This will rewrite your master boot record.
January 20, 2011 9:18:46 PM

aford10 said:
The problem with trying to re-install an OEM version, is it won't activate on new hardware. It's designed to recognize the hardware, and stay with it (mainly the motherboard).

This part is not true you can use it and activate on different machines as long as it is the only one being used.
It will activate, I've done this 3 times every time I completely changed my hardware.

OEM means you do not get support.
January 20, 2011 9:29:28 PM

"An OEM license only allows you to use the software on the specific computer it came with. In other words, when that computer is old and slow and it is time to throw it away, that license must legally be thrown away as well."
http://www.networkclue.com/os/Windows/licensing/index.a...

"The OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system, even if the original machine is no longer in use. The End User Software License Terms, which the end user must accept before using the software, states that the license may not be shared, transferred to, or used concurrently on different computers. System builders must provide end-user support for the Windows license on computers they build, but cannot support licenses on computers they didn’t build. This is a fundamental reason why OEM System Builder licenses can't be transferred"
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/p...

Could go on and on.....
January 20, 2011 9:31:35 PM

Well hate to burst your bubble but, I bought my copy as a oem and it activated every time on different hardware machines.
January 20, 2011 9:37:32 PM

I'm not here to argue, just to provide factual information. There are legal restrictions to OEM licenses.

Back to your original problem. Did you try the fixmbr command?
January 20, 2011 9:43:52 PM

Same here, I am just providing facts.
January 31, 2011 1:06:15 PM

I have solved this at last. First, let me say that aford 10 is wrong and accolite is right. Microshaft do say that you cannot reinstall a copy on another machine, but the practicalities are that you actually can, although it is a hit-and-miss procedure. I have 3x OEM copies, all good discs. 2 are XP Home and 1 is XP Pro. after finding my solution, an XP Home installed without problems. Trying to install the Pro on another machine was a failure, though why this should be so is a mystery.

Now for the solution: -
I accessed Western Digitals' site and downloaded their excellent software, using the details of the Hdd's. I had bought the board extremely cheaply as second-hand and had no discs, or manuals, so I then accessed the mobo manufacturere's site and downloaded those, with the latest BIOS. I printed out relevant manual pages and discovered that I had made errors in the BIOS installation & configuration. I corrected these and then fitted each drive inturn to my external SATA case and installed the WD firmware. I then installed the XP without problems, into the 80 GB. drive as this was expendable if I struck further problems. I then used the external case to install the WD firmware in each of the 500 GB. drives, one of which I am going to transfer all the 80 GB. drive into, using WD's free copy of Acornis to do this.

I feel that (a) I have learned a great deal from this PC experience (I am mainly self-taught, a "Silver Surfer", once a Aircraft Tech and then a motor engineer.) (b) I believe that this forum is incredibly useful to someone like me: BUT it does not help when contributors decide to have an argument with each other, whilst trying to advise with a question. (c) my better half has gained a new vocabulary, based on material from my Service days used during this ordeal!

MORAL: check the manual. If you don't have one, it is always obtainable.

Thank you for your advice, any opinion I express is meant as constructive criticism.
January 31, 2011 1:10:29 PM

accolite said:
Well hate to burst your bubble but, I bought my copy as a oem and it activated every time on different hardware machines.

You are partially correct, although aford10 is also partially correct, based upon information presented by Microshaft and other industry sources. Please read my last reply.
Thank you for your help.
January 31, 2011 1:37:46 PM

You obviously didn't read the replies. Part of purchasing an OEM license, is the agreement that it's only activated on one computer, and never transferred.

Microsoft was trying to give people the benefit of the doubt, and allowed for some extra installs before the key has to be unlocked. This way, people don't have to call each time they need to reinstall. Some people just seem to take advantage of that. That doesn't mean the advice given above was wrong. Also, encouraging people to violate the OEM agreement is also a violation of the forum rules.
January 31, 2011 6:38:49 PM

I am in no way encouraging anyone to break their oem agreement, I just have one computer that constantly needed upgrades therefore requiring reactivation of windows.

Maybe this will clear things up, I only use 1 pc and have installed 1 windows xp on it, down the line my psu fries my mobo, so I go buy a new one for the same pc and activate windows.

It just happened that this went on for a couple of times, so I had to reactivate it a few more times, but this is still the same and only 1 pc that I have used. It might be considered more than one pc to others but to me it's still my original and only pc that has a windows xp installed on it.

So to break it all down something breaks and I fix it and that requires me to activate windows with different hardware!
February 1, 2011 9:17:27 AM

aford10 said:
You obviously didn't read the replies. Part of purchasing an OEM license, is the agreement that it's only activated on one computer, and never transferred.

Microsoft was trying to give people the benefit of the doubt, and allowed for some extra installs before the key has to be unlocked. This way, people don't have to call each time they need to reinstall. Some people just seem to take advantage of that. That doesn't mean the advice given above was wrong. Also, encouraging people to violate the OEM agreement is also a violation of the forum rules.

Sez Robbon: -

1 - I did read the replies. My answer, I believe, reflects that.
2 - Micro$oft is not giving "the benefit of the doubt." It is trying to hang on to every cent and penny, by a process which denies people who have paid good money for a product, the right to use that product. If M$ tied the product to a NAME instead of a MACHINE, I would believe that its soul was not possessed by the greed of a massive corporate entity.
3 - If I am taking advantage of Microsoft, I have a lot of company. And it is a case of the biter being bit.
4 - I did NOT encourage anyone to break the rules. I merely reported what steps I took to resolve a problem. Which is what my initial entry to this forum, was about, nicht war?
5 - I dislike being talked-down to. Your attitude is in need of modification.
6 - This is my last entry into this forum. I do not need to be lectured to, at my age.
!