Sign in with
Your question

Rebuild a Raid 5 after single drive failure

Last response: in Storage
January 21, 2010 7:15:30 PM

Hello experts,

I have a 3+1 (1Tb) raid 5 configured via software raid on a asus crosshair iii (sb750). My Os is installed on a standalone velociraptor. I have raidxpert installed within my OS, but not configured to send email notifications upon drive failure (I can't figure it out?). I am just wondering how I would know if a drive failed? I know that on boot, a scan of the raid is performed, that I can only assume would catch a failure, but how would I be notified from within the windows OS, since I do not restart very often? Also, what would the best procedure be to repair the raid. I do not have a spare in the system either. Would the boot scan tell me which sata port the failed drive is on? Could I replace the drive, using a hot swap?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
a b G Storage
February 1, 2010 12:42:50 AM

So you're controlling the array by remote? Exactly how can't you configure email notification, what does the error message say? Also, this is a bit obvious, but have you made sure the computer containing the RAID array has online access?
m
l
February 1, 2010 12:40:47 PM

I believe that you have misunderstood my question somewhat. I have local access to the machine, and it does have internet access. My main question revolves around the rebuilding process mainly. I'd like to know how to configure the RaidXpert software, but I am not using a server OS, with exchange for instance, so I am not sure that I can configure the email alerts.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
!