Sign in with
Your question

Help Me Choose A PSU/Power Case!

Last response: in Systems
August 22, 2008 12:35:28 PM

... OK. Where to start? :pt1cable:  Ok my first very first thread in tom's Hardware. I'm quite young & n00b in forums so don't screw me. Basically I'm searching for a power case for a low-mid range gaming comp. I don't want to overclock anything. So please DO NOT SUGGEST ME TOO! Btw, If you must you can also suggest a psu that can OC. My 'Dream PC :love:  Specs'? Look below:

CPU: C2D E7200 (when nehalem comes out wanna go c2q q9450 coz massive price cut; :pt1cable:  i guess)
Mobo: Gigabyte EP35-DS3/ EP45-DS3L (Help me out here; NO CF, can recommend some good asus boards too. Is pci-e worth it? thats why i thought of EP45-DS3L)
RAM: 4 GB DDR2 800 (Later upgrade too 8GB DDR2 800)
Graphic: HD4850(non-reference fan; man the standard ati 4850 temps just :ouch:  ) (might go 4870 but not 4870X2)
Hard disk: 1 500GB Seagate SATA, 1 IDE 80GB; my old hd)
1 SATA LG DVD-B

PS: PSU must be able to handle the upgrades in bracket. What's the minimum I should buy,cheapest, cost effective solution. Also what's the difference within cooler master real power and cooler master extreme power plus. Is it a marketting gimmick?

I curently use a P4 3.0Ghz HT, 1GB DDR 400 RAM, MSI PM8M-V, X1650PRO AGP, using xp (gaming) and vista(productive). I know it's not fit for today's games.

Wow :ouch:  SORRY for Extremely Long post & Amount of questions.
Please help. Thx :hello: 

More about : choose psu power case

August 22, 2008 12:41:38 PM

Antec earthwatt 500. Don't go with cooler master for psu they are bad (but their case rock).
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
August 22, 2008 1:04:30 PM

You do not mention a case. You need good air flow for your 4850.

You can also look at P43 boards, such as the ASUS P5QL Pro
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 22, 2008 1:58:03 PM

I'd really like to see a review on the new Antec Earthwatts 500 (now made by Delta), but that is probably a reasonably safe minimum choice.
My own bad experience with one aside, I don't know that CoolerMaster PSUs are really all that bad, but they aren't great either. The last proper review I read on a smaller one indicated that it was a little over-rated (could do 430W, but not the labeled 460W), but otherwise not a bad unit; if I recall they recommended it for lower-powered systems. I do not remember whether this was on hardocp, pcpers, or some other site that does PROPER PSU testing with equipment that can apply various loads and measure responses far beyond what is visible on a voltmeter or "PSU Tester."
I can heartily recommend CoolerMaster cases though. As Georgy said, they rock. Even the low-end ones have decent airflow and are roomy inside. My 690 is in their middle range, but the nicest case I've ever owned. Airflow is great with 4 fans (front, back, 1xSide, and 1xTop I added; I could add as many as 4 more), but it is not very loud as the fans can all run slowly.
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
August 22, 2008 3:35:00 PM

For a good gaming case look at the Antec three hundred at $59,95 with free shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It is heavy,though, so probably not good for a lanparty.

Higher end vga cards like the 4870 will require two pci-e connectors. As a rule, if the PSU has two such connectors, it has enough power to drive them. Quality units can deliver that power under stressful conditions like high temperatures. Quality units are PC P&C, Corsair, Seasonic. Antec is ok also.
Today the PC P&C silencer610 is a gteat deal at $79.95 after rebate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
An alternative would be the Corsair 550VX at $64.99 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a b B Homebuilt system
August 22, 2008 4:07:34 PM

shithead said:

Btw, If you must you can also suggest a psu that can OC.

Mobo: Gigabyte EP35-DS3/ EP45-DS3L (Help me out here; NO CF, can recommend some good asus boards too. Is pci-e worth it? thats why i thought of EP45-DS3L)

LOL, I didn't even know you can overclock a PSU :) 

GA-EP45-DS3L is a good choice on a budget

The HD 4850/550VX/E7200/Antec 300 combination is very good. HD 4870 would be even better, and the 550VX can handle it too. The HD 4870 has a vent to kick the heated air directly out of the case, which is a very useful thing IMO.
August 23, 2008 2:46:33 AM

Well i meant the psu could handle OC of CPU, RAM,etc.
August 23, 2008 2:55:47 AM

Onus said:
I'd really like to see a review on the new Antec Earthwatts 500 (now made by Delta), but that is probably a reasonably safe minimum choice.
My own bad experience with one aside, I don't know that CoolerMaster PSUs are really all that bad, but they aren't great either. The last proper review I read on a smaller one indicated that it was a little over-rated (could do 430W, but not the labeled 460W), but otherwise not a bad unit; if I recall they recommended it for lower-powered systems. I do not remember whether this was on hardocp, pcpers, or some other site that does PROPER PSU testing with equipment that can apply various loads and measure responses far beyond what is visible on a voltmeter or "PSU Tester."
I can heartily recommend CoolerMaster cases though. As Georgy said, they rock. Even the low-end ones have decent airflow and are roomy inside. My 690 is in their middle range, but the nicest case I've ever owned. Airflow is great with 4 fans (front, back, 1xSide, and 1xTop I added; I could add as many as 4 more), but it is not very loud as the fans can all run slowly.

Thx for the help,well CoolerMaster case 690 is RM268= US$ 80 in my country, Malaysia. Is this a good price for this case?Anyway, for PSU Antec /Corsair550-650? That's what ppl say here(was thinking of corsair).so...yeah.can suggest me a good quiet case. my current comp's case suck, i can here the fan rite now! might try to get dual-slot 4850 that blow hot air out or a custom-cooling 4870.

My local comp shop love to recommend Cooler Master!what should i do? Cooler Master real power vs Cooler Master extreme power plus? what the diff?i only see price difference. :heink: 
August 23, 2008 3:00:05 AM

aevm said:

GA-EP45-DS3L is a good choice on a budget

The HD 4850/550VX/E7200/Antec 300 combination is very good. HD 4870 would be even better, and the 550VX can handle it too. The HD 4870 has a vent to kick the heated air directly out of the case, which is a very useful thing IMO.

The bad thing in malaysia they overprice gigabyte's board like a bit but they don't sell GA-EP45-DS3L. they sell GA-EP43-DS3L/GA-EP43-DS3 which i think is extremely crippled(P43)?Suggestions?Also heard a ton of issues on that board... GA-EP35-DS3 looks trouble-free?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 24, 2008 10:23:04 PM

I wouldn't say P43 is extremely crippled. P45 overclocks better, AFAIK, but that's about it.

US$ 80 is the normal price for the Cooler Master 690 in the USA, and it is the best case I can think of for that price. I guess it's a good price in Malaysia too. How about Antec 900? Is that cheaper where you live? It has switches that let you turn the fans down when you're not gaming and want silence.

GA-EP35-DS3L should be OK too. I found a newegg reviewer that used it with E7200 and says he didn't even need a BIOS update. It has PCI-E 1, not 2, but it doesn't matter with a single HD 4850.
August 25, 2008 1:57:25 AM

aevm said:

US$ 80 is the normal price for the Cooler Master 690 in the USA, and it is the best case I can think of for that price. I guess it's a good price in Malaysia too. How about Antec 900? Is that cheaper where you live? It has switches that let you turn the fans down when you're not gaming and want silence.

GA-EP35-DS3L should be OK too. I found a newegg reviewer that used it with E7200 and says he didn't even need a BIOS update. It has PCI-E 1, not 2, but it doesn't matter with a single HD 4850.

Thx but I'm avoiding antec because not many shops sell it and even if they sell antec stuff, they only sell PSU. Btw, they sell limited antec PSU, meaning no antec earthwatts 500(PSU), ANY ANTEC casing (antec 300,900).

Ga-ep35-ds3(E supports wolfdale/yorkfieldout out-of the-box) is affected by DPC Latency, but latest bios fixes this problem. I'm not doing music stuff, but it looks quite serious to flash the bios. There is also DES Advanced support if you flash the bios. besides, q-flash will be a piece of cake, right? :D 
!