marcika

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Hi all!

My 1st post. :)

I've just built a new system, and I have some problems. (they might be serious...)
The machine: ASUS P5Q-E, Intel E8400, 4x1GB Corsair Dominator, Chieftec 850W power supply, MSI 9800GTX+, Asus Xonar D1, Cooler Master CM690 chassis, Noctua NH-U9B CPU cooler.

So, I tested the machine's muscle with Crysis (it runs very well). On the my second monitor I had all of the diagnostics open. Asus Probe, AI suite, CPUZ. Everything went well, but after I closed the game, I got a warning message from Asus Probe. It said my CPU's temp is at 117 celsius...I don't even think that a CPU could reach this temperature. The machine worked well (the fans were slowing down because the processor was idling in this time...) when I got this warning. It kept this temperature, so I decided it is time to restart. When I entered the BIOS and checked the hardware monitor, the temp was 37 degree. Do you think the 117 degree was a real thing, or this was only an error? (software, bios, cpu, board...)
The machine runs at stock speed (3000Mhz) on stock voltage (1.2V).
It is idling on 28-30 degree.

The second problem is a smaller thing, but it is really annoying. If I don't enter the CPU clock ratio manually in bios (to 9) and leave on Auto, it sets the CPU speed to 2000Mhz, and it doesn't change it under full load...should it work like this? I really hope there is no connection between the 2 things.

Thanks for your help!

br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Asus probe's a pos. The machine would have shut down way before the cpu reached 117c. Use core temp or real temp and see what the temps are.

The speed is changing down to 2000mhz because of speedstep. It is intel's method of power-saving. It changes the cpu multiplier from 9x down to 6x when the cpu is idle, and raises it back up to 9x when under load. There's no harm to keeping it enabled.

marcika

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Thanks for the help! :)

For the second thing.
I know that it is normal, if the CPU does nothing then it tries to save energy by speed decrease. But my problem is that, if I don't enter manually the 9x ratio in the Bios (I just let the default Auto settings) it doesn't go for 3000Mhz even if it's really needed. There is a 4500 point difference in 3D Mark 06 depend of this setting. My previous machine (ASUS P5B, E6420) didn't have any kind of this problem with base settings...

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
The heat sensor on the 45nm cpus is a gong show, even programs like realtemp are only approximations of the actual heat of the cpu - its not a precision figure like it would be in previous versions.

Intel is supposed to release data to allow precise monitoring, but itsn ot come yet.

marcika

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
So, it seems a Bios update solved the speed problem, and I didn't get another crazy temp warning since then. Btw, 39c at idling is OK for MB temperature? CPU is at 28-30c.

[strike]Intel did release specs to allow accurate temps for all cpu's did they not?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-dts-specs,6517.html

With Real Temp you can input the TJmax(if its is not already in, they are always on top of this kind of thing) on all cores and get accurate temps.

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/[/strike]

marcika, Your temps are fine.

EDIT, Looks like an update says those are not quite so good, ohh well, temps are still good.

TGunn 007

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
sorry to hijack the thread but i have an E8500 with stock cooler and it states the following.

Core temperature 76 and 82
Minimum Temperature 77 and 83
Maximum Temperature 78 and 85

This was running while Far Cry 2 was in game... isnt this a little hot? If so can u please tell me what is wrong and how to rectify this because i'm getting worried. The system is 3 days old.

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
About your CPU speed. You should disable your "green" setting in bios. Sometime called C1E, its an option that drop your multiplier when idling. Its a power saving thing ! Maybe just this will fix ur CPU speed problem ?