USB External Drive

Will an up grade from Win98SE to WinXP Home Edition allow me to use a
Western Digital 40GB USB 2.00 external drive to backup hard drive? I have
gone to WD support but they said it is a Windows problem. Downloaded what
was supposed to be drivers for Win 98SE , but did not work. Any suggestions
w/b appreciated?

--
Lavert Y Bryant
Powder Springs GA

    Lavert, check here for some info. Are you using a PCI USB 2.0 Card to
    connect the hard drive? If your Motherboard
    does not have built in USB 2.0 connectors then you will need something
    like that.
    http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

    "Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Will an up grade from Win98SE to WinXP Home Edition allow me to use a
    > Western Digital 40GB USB 2.00 external drive to backup hard drive? I have
    > gone to WD support but they said it is a Windows problem. Downloaded what
    > was supposed to be drivers for Win 98SE , but did not work. Any
    > suggestions
    > w/b appreciated?
    >
    > --
    > Lavert Y Bryant
    > Powder Springs GA

    Rich:

    Thanks for your rely. I am using PCI USB 2.0 Card to connect hard drive.
    The following info is shown on Win98SE Computer. My IRQ status shows NEC
    PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller, NEC USB Open Host Controller, NETGEAR
    FA311/2\312 PCI Adapter, and Intel 82371 AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host
    Controller all linked to IRQ 12. Don't know this is as it should be or not.
    I am also running a HP Printer through USB port 2.0 Card on Win98SE and XP
    Home Edition Computer. Everything is working except Win 98SE does not
    recognize USB 2.0 External Drive. Any help w/b appreciated.

    I went to web site you show below. Lots of info but I can't understand it
    all.

    "Rich Barry" <rbarrynot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    Lavert, check here for some info. Are you using a PCI USB 2.0 Card to
    connect the hard drive? If your Motherboard
    does not have built in USB 2.0 connectors then you will need something
    like that.
    http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

    "Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Will an up grade from Win98SE to WinXP Home Edition allow me to use a
    > Western Digital 40GB USB 2.00 external drive to backup hard drive? I have
    > gone to WD support but they said it is a Windows problem. Downloaded what
    > was supposed to be drivers for Win 98SE , but did not work. Any
    > suggestions
    > w/b appreciated?
    >
    > --
    > Lavert Y Bryant
    > Powder Springs GA

    Lavert, have you been here?
    http://tinyurl.com/a2wth
    "Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Will an up grade from Win98SE to WinXP Home Edition allow me to use a
    > Western Digital 40GB USB 2.00 external drive to backup hard drive? I have
    > gone to WD support but they said it is a Windows problem. Downloaded what
    > was supposed to be drivers for Win 98SE , but did not work. Any
    > suggestions
    > w/b appreciated?
    >
    > --
    > Lavert Y Bryant
    > Powder Springs GA

    Rich:

    I have been there. Downloaded driver file as shown. Installation
    processed. Can't find driver on computer. When I opened the appropriate
    folder in Windows Explorer only two files were shown. One was an icon which
    was just an image of External Drive. The other was a file that showed the
    icon itself. Have downloaded and installed this file twice and got the
    same results. I think something is missing from this download. Thanks.

    --
    Lavert Y Bryant
    Powder Springs GA

    "Rich Barry" <rbarrynot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    Lavert, have you been here?
    http://tinyurl.com/a2wth
    "Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Will an up grade from Win98SE to WinXP Home Edition allow me to use a
    > Western Digital 40GB USB 2.00 external drive to backup hard drive? I have
    > gone to WD support but they said it is a Windows problem. Downloaded what
    > was supposed to be drivers for Win 98SE , but did not work. Any
    > suggestions
    > w/b appreciated?
    >
    > --
    > Lavert Y Bryant
    > Powder Springs GA

    Try rt clicking MyComputer>select Manage>Disk Management>See if the Drive
    shows up there. If yes, rt click and
    assign a drive letter to it.
    Also,
    What does it say in Device Manager. Rt click MyComputer>select
    Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>View>Show
    Hidden Devices>USB Controllers
    Finally, do you have enough power for the drive?

    "Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Will an up grade from Win98SE to WinXP Home Edition allow me to use a
    > Western Digital 40GB USB 2.00 external drive to backup hard drive? I have
    > gone to WD support but they said it is a Windows problem. Downloaded what
    > was supposed to be drivers for Win 98SE , but did not work. Any
    > suggestions
    > w/b appreciated?
    >
    > --
    > Lavert Y Bryant
    > Powder Springs GA

    Rich:

    I think I might have confused you. The USB 2.0 External Drive works like it
    should on Win XP Home Edition. The suggestions you mentioned below I think
    applies only to Win Xp Home Edition. I am not sure how to determine if I

    Try rt clicking MyComputer>select Manage>Disk Management>See if the Drive
    shows up there. If yes, rt click and
    assign a drive letter to it.
    Also,
    What does it say in Device Manager. Rt click MyComputer>select
    Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>View>Show
    Hidden Devices>USB Controllers
    Finally, do you have enough power for the drive?

    "Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Will an up grade from Win98SE to WinXP Home Edition allow me to use a
    > Western Digital 40GB USB 2.00 external drive to backup hard drive? I have
    > gone to WD support but they said it is a Windows problem. Downloaded what
    > was supposed to be drivers for Win 98SE , but did not work. Any
    > suggestions
    > w/b appreciated?
    >
    > --
    > Lavert Y Bryant
    > Powder Springs GA

    Lavert, you are 100% correct. I was confused you didnt mislead me.
    Anyway, try a different PCI slot. I found this info

    USB 2.0 cards require 2 IRQs. 1 IRQ supports USB 1.1 and the other the
    Enhanced (USB 2.0) controller.
    Installing the USB 2.0 card in a slot that does NOT share an IRQ or shares
    an IRQ with onboard USB produces the best result. Consult your
    motherboard manual or online guide to determine which PCI slot is best for
    you. For a list of motherboard manufacture site links see here.

    > Lavert, you are 100% correct. I was confused you didnt mislead me.
    > Anyway, try a different PCI slot. I found this info
    >
    > USB 2.0 cards require 2 IRQs. 1 IRQ supports USB 1.1 and the other the
    > Enhanced (USB 2.0) controller.
    > Installing the USB 2.0 card in a slot that does NOT share an IRQ or shares
    > an IRQ with onboard USB produces the best result. Consult your
    > motherboard manual or online guide to determine which PCI slot is best for
    > you. For a list of motherboard manufacture site links see here.

    I make it a habit to not use the PCI slot below the AGP slot on my systems
    at home to avoid the conflict problem. For the few PCI cards I use (sound
    and USB 2.0), I use the bottom PCI slots on the motherboard.

Western Digital External Drive USB Windows XP