Will an up grade from Win98SE to WinXP Home Edition allow me to use a
Western Digital 40GB USB 2.00 external drive to backup hard drive? I have
gone to WD support but they said it is a Windows problem. Downloaded what
was supposed to be drivers for Win 98SE , but did not work. Any suggestions
w/b appreciated?

--
Lavert Y Bryant
Powder Springs GA

Lavert, check here for some info. Are you using a PCI USB 2.0 Card to
connect the hard drive? If your Motherboard
does not have built in USB 2.0 connectors then you will need something
like that.
http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

"Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Will an up grade from Win98SE to WinXP Home Edition allow me to use a
> Western Digital 40GB USB 2.00 external drive to backup hard drive? I have
> gone to WD support but they said it is a Windows problem. Downloaded what
> was supposed to be drivers for Win 98SE , but did not work. Any
> suggestions
> w/b appreciated?
>
> --
> Lavert Y Bryant
> Powder Springs GA

Rich:

Thanks for your rely. I am using PCI USB 2.0 Card to connect hard drive.
The following info is shown on Win98SE Computer. My IRQ status shows NEC
PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller, NEC USB Open Host Controller, NETGEAR
FA311/2\312 PCI Adapter, and Intel 82371 AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host
Controller all linked to IRQ 12. Don't know this is as it should be or not.
I am also running a HP Printer through USB port 2.0 Card on Win98SE and XP
Home Edition Computer. Everything is working except Win 98SE does not
recognize USB 2.0 External Drive. Any help w/b appreciated.

I went to web site you show below. Lots of info but I can't understand it
all.

"Rich Barry" <rbarrynot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
Lavert, check here for some info. Are you using a PCI USB 2.0 Card to
connect the hard drive? If your Motherboard
does not have built in USB 2.0 connectors then you will need something
like that.
http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm

"Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Will an up grade from Win98SE to WinXP Home Edition allow me to use a
> Western Digital 40GB USB 2.00 external drive to backup hard drive? I have
> gone to WD support but they said it is a Windows problem. Downloaded what
> was supposed to be drivers for Win 98SE , but did not work. Any
> suggestions
> w/b appreciated?
>
> --
> Lavert Y Bryant
> Powder Springs GA

Lavert, have you been here?
http://tinyurl.com/a2wth
"Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Will an up grade from Win98SE to WinXP Home Edition allow me to use a
> Western Digital 40GB USB 2.00 external drive to backup hard drive? I have
> gone to WD support but they said it is a Windows problem. Downloaded what
> was supposed to be drivers for Win 98SE , but did not work. Any
> suggestions
> w/b appreciated?
>
> --
> Lavert Y Bryant
> Powder Springs GA

Rich:

I have been there. Downloaded driver file as shown. Installation
processed. Can't find driver on computer. When I opened the appropriate
folder in Windows Explorer only two files were shown. One was an icon which
was just an image of External Drive. The other was a file that showed the
icon itself. Have downloaded and installed this file twice and got the
same results. I think something is missing from this download. Thanks.

--
Lavert Y Bryant
Powder Springs GA

"Rich Barry" <rbarrynot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
Lavert, have you been here?
http://tinyurl.com/a2wth
"Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Will an up grade from Win98SE to WinXP Home Edition allow me to use a
> Western Digital 40GB USB 2.00 external drive to backup hard drive? I have
> gone to WD support but they said it is a Windows problem. Downloaded what
> was supposed to be drivers for Win 98SE , but did not work. Any
> suggestions
> w/b appreciated?
>
> --
> Lavert Y Bryant
> Powder Springs GA

Try rt clicking MyComputer>select Manage>Disk Management>See if the Drive
shows up there. If yes, rt click and
assign a drive letter to it.
Also,
What does it say in Device Manager. Rt click MyComputer>select
Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>View>Show
Hidden Devices>USB Controllers
Finally, do you have enough power for the drive?

"Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Will an up grade from Win98SE to WinXP Home Edition allow me to use a
> Western Digital 40GB USB 2.00 external drive to backup hard drive? I have
> gone to WD support but they said it is a Windows problem. Downloaded what
> was supposed to be drivers for Win 98SE , but did not work. Any
> suggestions
> w/b appreciated?
>
> --
> Lavert Y Bryant
> Powder Springs GA

Rich:

I think I might have confused you. The USB 2.0 External Drive works like it
should on Win XP Home Edition. The suggestions you mentioned below I think
applies only to Win Xp Home Edition. I am not sure how to determine if I

Try rt clicking MyComputer>select Manage>Disk Management>See if the Drive
shows up there. If yes, rt click and
assign a drive letter to it.
Also,
What does it say in Device Manager. Rt click MyComputer>select
Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>View>Show
Hidden Devices>USB Controllers
Finally, do you have enough power for the drive?

"Lavert" <b_lavert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Will an up grade from Win98SE to WinXP Home Edition allow me to use a
> Western Digital 40GB USB 2.00 external drive to backup hard drive? I have
> gone to WD support but they said it is a Windows problem. Downloaded what
> was supposed to be drivers for Win 98SE , but did not work. Any
> suggestions
> w/b appreciated?
>
> --
> Lavert Y Bryant
> Powder Springs GA

Lavert, you are 100% correct. I was confused you didnt mislead me.
Anyway, try a different PCI slot. I found this info

USB 2.0 cards require 2 IRQs. 1 IRQ supports USB 1.1 and the other the
Enhanced (USB 2.0) controller.
Installing the USB 2.0 card in a slot that does NOT share an IRQ or shares
an IRQ with onboard USB produces the best result. Consult your
motherboard manual or online guide to determine which PCI slot is best for
you. For a list of motherboard manufacture site links see here.

> Lavert, you are 100% correct. I was confused you didnt mislead me.
> Anyway, try a different PCI slot. I found this info
>
> USB 2.0 cards require 2 IRQs. 1 IRQ supports USB 1.1 and the other the
> Enhanced (USB 2.0) controller.
> Installing the USB 2.0 card in a slot that does NOT share an IRQ or shares
> an IRQ with onboard USB produces the best result. Consult your
> motherboard manual or online guide to determine which PCI slot is best for
> you. For a list of motherboard manufacture site links see here.

I make it a habit to not use the PCI slot below the AGP slot on my systems
at home to avoid the conflict problem. For the few PCI cards I use (sound
and USB 2.0), I use the bottom PCI slots on the motherboard.