Any benchmarks 4870 512mb vs 1gb?

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
It looks like performance is almost the same, with the exception of Crysis w/ AA turned on it made a huge difference (almost doubled). I guess I'll be happy with a 512MB version since I can find 'em cheaper. Thanks again House!

Yeah the impact of Mega Textures and future increased buffer use may have a greater general impact, but right now it's a very small area where there's a noticeable difference.

IMO, if you plan on upgrading again in just over a year's time, then the 512MB model should be fine for most things. If you're planning on keeping this card for much longer than that I'd say it would be worth a few extra bucks to get the 1GB model.

Of course if it's significantly more expensive to get the 1GB model, then might as well save the difference and then just push your upgrade timeline further forward and re-invest that bigger chunk of change in an upgrade in a year's time.

Hope that makes sense.

- Consider the GF8800GTS-320, there were some cases where the 320MB crapped out versus the 640MB models, but often the price difference was enough that had you saved, it you would've been able to put that $100+ (plus what you sell the GTS-320 for if you wanted) towards a new HD4850/4870/GTX260 all of which would be much better than the GTS-640.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

Makes perfects sense and I agree. Thanks.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

That 1gb model is factory overclocked to boot. The slight increase in most charts are due to the overclocking, not really 1gb ram. :p

Well there can be a difference beyond the OC, granted it's still a very limited region that benefits. Those general llittle boosts in other tests should be noted with the OC, but let's not dismiss the areas that do benefit significantly: like in the case of the Crysis high res/AA results, you have to admit, it's very unlikely that that big of a jump is due to the relatively minor OC in comparison.

But like I mentioned very limited areas where it would be worthwhile considering. Even in the biggest difference it needs to be noted the mode because in DX9 it does make it more into the realm of playable 27 vs 15 fps, but in DX10 we're talking 15.5 : 8.5 where 15.5 is much more, but just on the cusp of useable for some and without question unusable for others.

The thing that is interesting is that it's only a small 2 fps drop for adding AA to the 1GB model, whereas the 512MB model's performance is more than cut in half by the addition of AA with an 8.5 fps drop, where it was pretty close before AA was applied.

Anywhoo, it's still just one set of benchies, but it does confirm what other tests showed at higher resolutions when the smaller VRAM cards dropped off.

It's too bad they didn't include the HD4870 1GB in CF (not the X2 to avoid any design/bridge benefits-drawbacks) against the HD4870 512MB in CF just to see the impact. Having the HD4850 in CF is enlightening, but seing it often lose to the single HD4870-512MB in crysis puts more focus on memory bandwidth to me than VRAM size. In the other titles, usually the HD4850FCF is outfront.

It definitely takes it out of the realm of theory and makes it actual, but still debatable on the practical value.

To me it still comes down to the value, where if it's a small premium hey definitely it's a nice insurance policy for future titles and implementations, etc. But if it's a big premium, I wouldn't bother unless I specifically knew I could make major use of the benefit.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

Hexus.net have a factory oc'd 4870 1gb review. Shows some differences but the testers seem to have taken a few too many disco biscuits and done have the game benchies without 2560x1600 resolution results. Plus the overall game selection isn't really gonna push the framebuffer too hard.

Heres the link though if your interested:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=15463

Cheers, SpoonBoy